As everyone does, I read the reviews and had a mixed impression of this resort. But, having traveled and stayed in many timeshare locations, including two others in Lake Tahoe, I learned to separate the personal preferences and opinions form actual facts that reflect the negatives or the positives of the resort. There are some things that cannot be changed and have nothing to do with the resort (beach, street, weather), but people still add these. There are some things that are legitimate and should be reviewed.
So, one negative to mention right away - $16 per day for parking. No way around it, unless you're an owner. You can valet or self park, but costs the same. The self park is in a garage across the street on the roof, and valet is there too, but on the first floor. We opted for valet on heavy snow days so we can get the car out, other days we parked it ourselves. Another negative that is not permanent - the hotel is doing renovations. That being said - unless someone told you upfront (like I just did), you won't notice. The room we had faced the parking lot where they kept all the trailers, equipment, etc, and we didn't hear any noise or any regular construction nuisances. The snow plows made more noise...Now, to the positive about this resort, which in my opinion was everything else. The first word that comes to mind is "comfortable". If you don't expect Ritz Carlton, you won't be disappointed. I liked the homey atmosphere, fireplaces, cozy bar area in the lobby. The rooms are set up a little different - two rooms that share one entrance from the hallway. There is the main door leading to a small entry hall with two doors to each room. If you get only one room, your key won't work for the other room, don't worry. I liked that set up, especially after realizing I did not hear housekeeping, lake arrivals and kids in the hall early (or late), as you do in regular hotels...We had the smaller of the two rooms, two queen bed hotel type room, which had a small kitchenette. I heard there are other hotel-type rooms with one bed and bigger kitchen. Not sure how they assign the rooms. I was pretty happy, for my husband and I it was big enough, the kitchen was ok. We brought our own hot plate and were able to cook food other than in a microwave. The fridge was small and you'd need to make several trips to the store since you can't keep too much in it. There was a toaster and dishes, so there are options.
The resort itself has all the basics - pool, hot tubs, sauna. The pool is half inside, half out. Makes for a real interesting experience when it's snowing. There is outdoor hot tub as well as indoor. There is a small gym, activities for kids, restaurant (not cheap) and small shop. There is a grill outside for summer times; it was all covered in snow when we were here.
The area itself is very central, some shops and restaurants within walking distance, the lake is right there too, with the tour cruise boats right next door. There is Raley's and Safeway nearby for real food, and a shuttle to Heavenly (I heard, didn't use). Overall, I felt the resort meet all the needs and expectations of a couple on a ski vacation. We own and been to many timeshares, didn't fell bad saying no to the sales pitch attempts and were not bothered after the first try. It was a nice trip and we didn't feel bad having to spend a few days in when the snow storm blew in. Still had things to do or just relax. So enjoy your time here and create your own impressions from experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort puts you amid the setting for the vacation of a lifetime. Come each season, you will find different scenery, not to mention a variety of different seasonal activities. It's hard to imagine anything could beat the views and variety you get when you plan your visit to beautiful South Lake Tahoe, California. This is an area built around the reason for the breathtaking panorama, Lake Tahoe, America's largest Alpine lake. From sight to touch, you will revel in the wonders of the sapphire-blue water of the lake, perfectly situated right at the base of the stunning, snow-capped mountain peaks of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Odigeo and Otel so you can book your Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lake Tahoe Vacation Hotel Lake Tahoe (California)
- Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort CA