“Did not dissapoint. Central and comfortable.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort

Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort
Vienna, Virginia
“Did not dissapoint. Central and comfortable.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

As everyone does, I read the reviews and had a mixed impression of this resort. But, having traveled and stayed in many timeshare locations, including two others in Lake Tahoe, I learned to separate the personal preferences and opinions form actual facts that reflect the negatives or the positives of the resort. There are some things that cannot be changed and have nothing to do with the resort (beach, street, weather), but people still add these. There are some things that are legitimate and should be reviewed.
So, one negative to mention right away - $16 per day for parking. No way around it, unless you're an owner. You can valet or self park, but costs the same. The self park is in a garage across the street on the roof, and valet is there too, but on the first floor. We opted for valet on heavy snow days so we can get the car out, other days we parked it ourselves. Another negative that is not permanent - the hotel is doing renovations. That being said - unless someone told you upfront (like I just did), you won't notice. The room we had faced the parking lot where they kept all the trailers, equipment, etc, and we didn't hear any noise or any regular construction nuisances. The snow plows made more noise...Now, to the positive about this resort, which in my opinion was everything else. The first word that comes to mind is "comfortable". If you don't expect Ritz Carlton, you won't be disappointed. I liked the homey atmosphere, fireplaces, cozy bar area in the lobby. The rooms are set up a little different - two rooms that share one entrance from the hallway. There is the main door leading to a small entry hall with two doors to each room. If you get only one room, your key won't work for the other room, don't worry. I liked that set up, especially after realizing I did not hear housekeeping, lake arrivals and kids in the hall early (or late), as you do in regular hotels...We had the smaller of the two rooms, two queen bed hotel type room, which had a small kitchenette. I heard there are other hotel-type rooms with one bed and bigger kitchen. Not sure how they assign the rooms. I was pretty happy, for my husband and I it was big enough, the kitchen was ok. We brought our own hot plate and were able to cook food other than in a microwave. The fridge was small and you'd need to make several trips to the store since you can't keep too much in it. There was a toaster and dishes, so there are options.
The resort itself has all the basics - pool, hot tubs, sauna. The pool is half inside, half out. Makes for a real interesting experience when it's snowing. There is outdoor hot tub as well as indoor. There is a small gym, activities for kids, restaurant (not cheap) and small shop. There is a grill outside for summer times; it was all covered in snow when we were here.
The area itself is very central, some shops and restaurants within walking distance, the lake is right there too, with the tour cruise boats right next door. There is Raley's and Safeway nearby for real food, and a shuttle to Heavenly (I heard, didn't use). Overall, I felt the resort meet all the needs and expectations of a couple on a ski vacation. We own and been to many timeshares, didn't fell bad saying no to the sales pitch attempts and were not bothered after the first try. It was a nice trip and we didn't feel bad having to spend a few days in when the snow storm blew in. Still had things to do or just relax. So enjoy your time here and create your own impressions from experience.

Room Tip: ask for a newer room if you're in need of a bigger kitchen when it comes to studios.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank satrel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

The suite is shear luxury. Central location. Beautifully decorated.

Livonia, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

We have had a timeshare here since 1999 and have visited here every year since then. It is a nice resort with large spacious units. The condos have 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a living room, a small kitchen and a kitchenette in the second bedroom. The master bedroom has a king bed, the other bedroom has 2 double beds and the couch in the living room is a pull out. The master bath has a tub with jets. The kitchen isn't large, but it has pretty much everything you would need. We only cook breakfast in, but it has everything we need for that. The units are nicely furnished and they are very spacious. The resort has a restaurant, bar, pool, hot tub, and gym.

The location is great. It is right at the lake, next door to Riva Grill, which I highly recommend for happy hour. It is close to Heavenly, if you want to ski there, we don't. It is about a mile to the casinos, and less than that to the shopping/restaurants at the Heavenly gondola.

Some things that could be considered negatives...

Internet isn't free. I happen to have at&t at home, so I could get it for free, but still had issues connecting, which was a hassle. The maid only comes once a week, which is ok for us, but others may expect more frequent service. Parking is $16 a day if you aren't an owner. We don't have to pay, but I still dislike the fact that you have to valet, because if you forget something in the car after skiing and are walking to dinner, you either live without it or have to bother the valet to bring your car around. The last thing is that this is a timeshare, so there is some amount of pressure to go on a tour, at least there was for us, perhaps because we are already owners there. We were approached immediately after check in and then received daily calls. We have been on the tour in past years and aren't interested, but can't seem to avoid the pressure.

Overall, the positives far outweigh the negatives and I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank advonefin
harrisonburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

What a great resort.

The rooms are modern and really well done. Our 2 bedroom had lots of room and was very well done. It has 3 flat screen TVs, granite countertops, well done kitchen, huge bathrooms, and modern updates. It has nice furniture and was really well done.

The front desk was very helpful with information about the area. They gave us tons of information about things to do in the area.

It was a little bit of a pain that the parking lot was being redone and you had to valet everytime but they were very quick.

Overall, this place is really well done and in a good location. I have read some of the negative reviews and did not see any of that . I saw a great resort that has very helpful staff and a lot of fun.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank usatraveler77
Elk Grove, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

We booked a studio deluxe room and the newly renovated area rooms (well the studio for that matter) looked very nice and very clean, I have to say. Very cozy and updated/modern feel to it. We used the indoor pool at night, it's clean but small for the size of the resort. There is an outside pool but it's freezing outside (it's winter -it's still fun in the morning/afternoon, I guess) but it's closed at night at the moment. Concierge were very nice as well. The guest rep is friendly as well, I think this is where they do the sales pitch for the timeshare which we did not mind and were not bothered because we're already members. So straight upfront, we know how this works. We will just attend a 55 minutes update for members but not the sales presentation to get a gift and a free breakfast, on the third day of our stay which is not bad. I understand the people who are not members not liking this idea, but you can always decline totally if you don't want too. I will update my review as our stay goes on for the next following days. So stay tuned...

Room Tip: I guess select the renovated area when you book.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Geneeu
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

This was only my forth visit to the Tahoe area. My previous visits were in the spring and fall and I was looking forward to a winter visit. Unfortunately, the weather didn’t cooperate but I made the best of it.

My previous stays in Tahoe were at Camp Richardson and the Tahoe Lakeshore Lodge and Spa. Both were lakefront with beach access. The Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort has some lake view rooms and is a short walk to the lake. As this was a winter vacation, lakefront was not that important to me. The location is convenient to Heavenly (they have a shuttle) as well as dining and lake activities.

I secured accommodations at the resort through an owner on a timeshare rental site. The cost was significantly less than the travel websites so I was a little concerned that it might be illegitimate. After communicating with the owner by email and phone, I felt comfortable with booking. The owner made a reservation showing me as the occupying guest and it was all confirmed through the resort.

The dates of my stay were January 1-8 so it was likely one of the busiest winter weeks for the resort. Many of the other reviews complain about the parking situation. That would be the same experience for me. The front loading and unloading area is fairly small for the size of the resort. When I pulled up, there were cars everywhere. That said, the valet staff was very good at keeping things flowing. I didn’t even attempt to self-park and instead valeted the entire time. I was glad I did. Just be sure to call for your vehicle 10-15 minutes beforehand and your vehicle will be ready. Otherwise, you will be waiting in the lobby at least that long. Fortunately parking for me was free as a guest of an owner, though I did have the cost of tipping the valet.

My check-in experience was fast and friendly. One of the concierges caught me on the way past the desk to give me a welcome packet. This is an affront to sign you up for a timeshare presentation. There were some incentives for going to the presentation but I respectfully declined. There was no pressure or further appeals to attend. As for the welcome packet, they did give a discount card for some restaurants and the concierge was a good resource for area information.

The accommodations were nice. I had booked a standard studio room. As I learned when I opened the door, this is the “B” side of their 2 bedroom unit (the “A” side being a full 1-bedroom unit). There was a main door that opened into a small foyer with two other doors for the two units. I didn’t particularly care for that part of it as it didn’t feel very private. The room had two queen beds, a small kitchenette (bar sink, microwave, dorm size refrigerator, toaster and coffee maker) and a small table. The beds were comfortable. There was a nice flat panel TV. I was on the top floor overlooking the highway side. There was only one small (the dormer if you were looking at it from the outside) which was fine since the view wasn’t that great. However, it made the room darker than I would have liked (may that would be preferred for those who like to sleep in). The room was quiet even when there were occupants in the adjacent unit.

As for the rest of the resort, the only amenities I used were the pool/hot tub and the laundry facilities. The pool and hot tub area were fairly busy the times that I went (usually between 9 and 10 P.M.). The children in the pool area outnumbered the adults by a wide margin. It was a little noisy for my tastes. It would have been nice to have an adults only area or hours, though admittedly not practical as the resort is mostly family oriented. The laundry machines were free which was a bonus. However, the laundry room was excessively hot and contained the trash chute (and odor). I got in and out as fast as I could.

The resort had an onsite restaurant and bar which I did not try. The prices seemed high and neither looked to have much of an atmosphere. The fitness center seemed small for the resort size but I presume that most guests get their exercise outside, as did I.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay. I would stay there again but would probably opt for a 1-bedroom unit if it was an extended stay and request a lake view.

Room Tip: Rent from an owner if you can find it (redweek.com, sellmytimesharenow.com, eBay, etc.) – but do you...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank John S
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

My daughter and I came up from Jan 4-6, 2012 for doing the timeshare tour at Las Vegas Polo Towers. I went to the timeshare tour too and got a $100 gift card. No pressure selling. Just be honest with them. Very nice. Renovation rooms will be very nice but seem small too. I only have Polo Towers to compare it with. They have a great location on the lake. Its a shame all the rooms dont face the lake. We had a 1bedroom. No lake view. Furnishings were not kept up well. The upholstered chair was ripped and looked worn. You would think a 'resort' would keep up the furnishings better. Kitchen was small but adequate. Balcony was small and view would probably have been good if there had been snow. Jacuzzi bathtub was heaven. It was huge. The indoor/outdoor pool and jacuzzi was nice and made me wish I had brought my bathingsuit. The restaurant is small and food was ok but overpriced for the quality in my opinion. I ordered an apple martini which was too strong. The waiter was very nice to take it back and exchange for a cosmo. That was too strong too. I think they had a new bartender. The waiter was great though. Very nice. Overall it was okay but I'm glad I didn't pay for it because I expect more from a resort.

• Stayed January 2012