“Had to return a 2nd time”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pipi Cafe

Pipi Cafe
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Phone 8778993
Waitakere > Piha
“Had to return a 2nd time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Wow - we were told to go here so we did - twice. The place is 'busy' as soon as you walk in the door. Shared tables are fabulous for this reason . . . so great we returned the next evening when we couldn't decide where to go.

Havelock North, New Zealand
“Very poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We own and operate a local accommodation business and decided to treat ourselves to dinner out in Havelock North for our wedding anniversary. We have been to Pipi's before and it was ok. Last night we were seated and offered drinks, then received our mains, but that was it. The restaurant got busy and we were not approached again. Our empty plates were left in front of us whilst the (only) waitress walked passed our table numerous times empty-handed. We were not offered anything more to drink, nor dessert (both of which we would have ordered!). After a long wait we decided to pay the bill, leave the restaurant and go elsewhere for dessert. I did say when paying (had to wait to do this too) how disappointed we were. My husband had the flounder and I had the gnocchi - both pleasant enough, but should have been $15 meals, not $29 and $21! Wont go again and will no longer recommend to our guests (which I have always done).

Wellington, New Zealand
“Delightfully different with great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

This was our second visit - and was every bit as good as we remembered from last year. They do things differently at Pipi's which adds interest to brilliant food. The staff are helpful and the place fair buzzes - people coming and going the whole time we were there. Four of our party had the lamb cutlets from their special menu - beautifully marinated tender, pink and juicy, highly recommended. One had the gnocchi and the other a flounder, both of which were declared to be delicious. We were enjoying the food so much we all had dessert!!! The generous servings of sticky date and rice pudding were thoroughly enjoyed. I opted for their homemade brown bread ice cream - which is served in a small carton - I would have liked more. Decor is old tables, backless forms with the odd chair to sit on, candles with plenty of wax running down the side. Help yourself to juices or beer from the fridges it's all part of the Pipi difference. Lots of yummy looking pizzas going past our table. This is definitely "the place" in Havelock North - but fine dining it is not!!!

Visited June 2013
Blenheim, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best dinner out for a long time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Friends took me out to Pipi's for dinner during my visit to the Hawkes bay! It was a wonderful experience. Restaurant was full so we were told to grab a drink across the road in their bar and they would call when a table was ready! What a brilliant idea we were more then happy to do so and a great way to keep customers and not have to turn them away! Our table ordered a selection of pizzas to share and were not disappointed! Yummy food and well priced! Ill defiantly be recommending it!

“Delicious and different.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We chose Pipi because we were looking for quality without too much formality. We were not disappointed. My son chose pizza which was crispy with a "melt-in-the-mouth" quality. Mum chose fish cakes which were tasty and a moderate size and my lamb cutlets (special for the day) were tender and juicy although I burnt the roof of my mouth on a polenta cake which was straight out of the pan. The concept of helping yourself to beers or softdrinks from 2 separate fridges was appreciated by my hospo son who thought it freed staff to provide better food service. The place was very busy but the concrete floor caused the noise of dinner guest chatter to amplify and made polite conversation difficult. Although this noise detracted from our dining experience, the food quality and selection of great wines means I'd like to return when next in Hawkes Bay.

• Visited May 2013