“garlic pizza bread mmmmm”
Review of Pipi Cafe

Pipi Cafe
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Pipi is all about you the customer we don’t mind if you come in your muddy gumboots or your Gucci stilettos, or if you drink Bollinger with your pizza or house red. We are very lucky in Hawkes Bay to be surrounded by wonderful produce and wine and our menu very much reflects this, where possible everything is local and organic. We don’t take ourselves too seriously but we do take what we do very seriously. Using the best freshest ingredients and cooking them to best bring out their natural flavours. Pipi was born out of my love of my children and food and now 15 years later this has not changed at all and is still at the heart of everything we do.
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Funky, cool in Havelock North? Who knew? After hearing so much about this place from locals, we dined there last night. The garlic pizza bread was sooo good: Buttery, garlicky with salt and rosemary mmmm still dreaming of it. I made the mistake of not ordering pizza for mains. The BF loved his Pollo pizza, but my Gnochi was weird. The dumplings were more like potato croquettes and were burnt? We figured they were sitting at the bottom of a pot . The sauce was a bit bland. Service is strange, if you want a beer you go behind the counter and help yourself.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Typically busy on a Saturday night, the waitstaff efficiently found us a large bench table out the back in the courtyard. There was only 3 of us, and we were soon joined by another set of 3 diners who were accommodated by sharing the other end of the table. The table could easily have sit 8 or more - so while we shared with strangers - it was spacious enough to have our own privacy, but the company was enjoyable and as the dishes arrived they created a great talking point. This is the kind of place Pipi's is - a social, gregarious and relaxed dining spot. My friends 4 year old daughter was with us and they kindly offer colouring book and pencils to entertain the littlies. The decor is funky, rustic and eclectic. The building is painted bright pink, and the furniture is a mixture of antique, recycled and rustic pieces. All of our food was delicious. I had a special bruschetta offering to start, and the smoked fish cakes for a main. My friend and her daughter shared a pizza which they enjoyed. You help yourself to beers and soft drinks from the fridge. It's all very relaxed and whatever goes. We had very good and fast service. The meals/pizza's are very reasonably priced. Will most definitely return.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I'm always in havelock north and I always drive past pipi's, I've never been in because its been so busy each time I've gone past but after seeing the trip advisor reviews I knew I had to go. All I can say is AMAZING! The pizza I had was so good a bit adventurous but defiantly worth the risk. The atmosphere was great, I've never been to a restaurant like it before. The staff were friendly and although very busy made great time to come back and take the order. The wait was expected because of the place being packed out but the social element makes the time fly. Pipi's is great and will go again and again. Great place!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This restaurant is an expression of the personal philosophy of owner Alexandra Tylee. Painted in vibrant shades of pink with wax encrusted candelabras on each table, it is a place where it is easy to strike up conversations with fellow diners. Children are welcomed, rather than tolerated and the whole place hums with the happy sounds of people enjoying great food in a vibrant atmosphere. The thin crust pizza is the best we have ever tasted and the chicken and garlic confit is also delicious. Pipi's desserts are not to be missed - we especially enjoyed the plum pastry on a recent visit. Pipi's does not take reservations but you can choose to have a drink at their bar across the street and you will be called when space us available.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Friday night at Pipi's was very busy, but the staff cleared a space straight away & 6 of us sat down to a great meal. The atmosphere was loud but relaxed & you can help yourself to beers from the fridge or order wine from the staff there. The pizzas were big & tasty, but quite a thin crust, so if you've got a decent appetite you could probably eat a large one, saying that when you first see it you're like - wow, how am i going finish that! Definitely going to go back, maybe on a week night when it's a bit quieter, or on a warm night & sit outside.