“Brilliant Pizzas : very cosy surrondings”
Review of Pipi Cafe

Pipi Cafe
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Pipi is all about you the customer we don’t mind if you come in your muddy gumboots or your Gucci stilettos, or if you drink Bollinger with your pizza or house red. We are very lucky in Hawkes Bay to be surrounded by wonderful produce and wine and our menu very much reflects this, where possible everything is local and organic. We don’t take ourselves too seriously but we do take what we do very seriously. Using the best freshest ingredients and cooking them to best bring out their natural flavours. Pipi was born out of my love of my children and food and now 15 years later this has not changed at all and is still at the heart of everything we do.
Reviewed October 1, 2011

The previous reviews say it all : no bookings, shared tables, friendly staff, brilliant pizzas, loud and great ( we are pensioners from the UK ! )

Reviewed August 13, 2011

I love Pipi’s in Havelock North and will quite often go there with friends and have a laugh. The restaurant is quite basic with bench chairs with cushions, old household furniture such as side boards and kitchen tables and an assortment of not too expensive art on the walls. Every table has candles and you are jammed in to a small but wonderfully busy, exciting, pumping, electric environment. The Pizzas are amazing and the desserts are yummy. We ordered 3 pizzas and a plate of penne pasta, 3 desserts, two bottles of Montepulciano and 2 bottles of beer and it only came to $60 a head. Oh by the way the beer you help yourself too out of the fridge. Well worth it if you ask me was the large aloha pizza that I ordered. It was the size of a car tyre. I can assure you it did not taste like one, smothered in an amazing tomato based sauce with mozzarella, pineapple and bacon, it was delicious. Check out the image
If you want a great night out, awesome pizza and want to go where the locals go then Pipi’s should not be missed. If you are a bit fussy and like a clean sterile, quite environment with not much atmosphere then Pipi’s is not the place for you. Be prepared for average service which can require some self-help activity, great food and big crowds, but the locals will tell you that’s what it’s all about. Pipi's reminds me of the many great family run restaurants in Europe that I stumbled upon. The ones with the tacky paintings and faded postcard photos from the 60s, gingham table clothes and the Chianti bottle with a candle in it. Nothing flash but the food was great.

Reviewed July 16, 2011

Unique experience, totally lovable.
We ordered a few pizza's and salmon dish. The salmon was to die for, it simply melted away. HAVEAN on earth. The pizza's were great so was the desserts.

They are a busy joint, so be prepared to wait and share your
table with others. Feels a bit odd when you sit at a pink table with a pink bench in a restaurant which painted in pink. Never loved pink so much in my life haha..

Strongly recommended.

Reviewed April 14, 2011

I love Pipi's. I visit the Hawke's Bay several times a year and always go here with my friend who lives locally. The place is unique. It is bright pink with mismatched furniture, crockery, cutlery. You sit wherever there's a seat, often with strangers but that doesn't seem to matter. The menu is small but extremely well executed. The garlic bread is like nothing I've ever tasted before - thin and flaky, lots of garlic and butter and a fabulous white bean puree to go with it. The pizzas are great but I prefer the veal or the duck. Wines tend to be local and they have their own label too. I just love it. Pipi's is one of the most vibrant, exciting restaurants to go to. It is always busy but they have now opened a bar across the road which might relieve things a little. It doesn't matter if you have to wait for a table - it is well worth it

Reviewed March 7, 2011

Good fun, get involved, not for the uptight. Very good pizzas and other mains great value for money.