“Beautiful resort, Bartenders should be shot.”

Royal Decameron Salinitas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sonsonate
Reviewed November 28, 2013

This is a stunning resort. The buildings, gardens, pools, beach, ground, lagoon, lobby, etc.. are all gorgeous. Everything is well maintained and kept up. Its over an hour drive from the airport, which can be a lot after a long flight...
The food was okay at the buffets and excellent at the reserved restaurants. One of our companions went to reserve dinner early every morning (you have to go early, or they're all spoken for). Having said that, we all got a stomach bug, which I was able to deal with, but a couple of our friends were down and out for about a day.
The beach right at the resort is nice, but very rocky, swiming here is almost not possible. Not a big deal, because you reserve a shuttle which takes you to a private beach club about a 1/2 hours drive away. This is neat because you see a bit of countryside at the same time.
The beach club is beautiful, the water is gorgeous, they have a bar there (with a good bartender) , small restaurant,small pool and hammocks, volleyball, surfing, etc.. we spent two days there and loved it.
We brought our 4 year old, and there were lots of activities and fun things for her to do at the beach club and the kids club at the resort, she loved it.
The bartenders at the main resort were all lousy, they ignored people (even those who were good tippers), screwed up orders, spilled stuff, sometimes couldn't understand or pretended not to understand. This was odd, considering everything else on the resort was quite good. This was very irritating, and I felt they needed training, BIG TIME.
There was lineups at the main pool bar stretching for 100 feet at times, the bar was understaffed during peak hours and when it was adequately staffed, they still screwd up constantly.
I don't let a couple of downfalls slow me down, and overall we had a blast. Would definetely go to a royal decameron again, but maybe not this one, mostly because of the long drive from the airport, I would love to try the one in Panama.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view, all rooms face a pool or ocean, they all seemed nice.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank N J
Write a ReviewReviews (2,163)

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Little El Salvador, with its unfortunate history of brutal dictatorship and natural disaster, has gained some measure of democracy but still faces grinding poverty and rampant criminality. It has little tourist infrastructure. Therefore the Decameron Las Salinitas, located on a large beautifully-landscaped tract of private land on the Pacific Coast, offers an oasis of leisure and security for those who can afford it. And the reasonably-priced comprehensive packages available from Toronto and Montreal can seem very appealing. Because of its many contradictions, this Decameron hotel is not easy to review. First off, Noiltours and the hotel gave us hassle-free service, on arrival and departure—check-in on the bus to the hotel, luggage quickly conveyed to the room, and at the end, from room to bus. The two-hour trip to and from the airport is not a problem. We got a well-appointed, impeccably-maintained room with full ocean view for the entry-level standard price. Maid service was irreproachable; you should tip the maid a dollar a day. Valuables should always be kept locked up. A suitcase with a lock will save you the $3 (daily) the hotel will charge you for using the safety box. The day of our arrival, and the next, the food at the main restaurant was excellent; after that, the less said the better! And the service is just as bad as the food. The specialty restaurants are a good alternative. We found Fusion a very pleasant experience after the nightly zoo at the main buffet. You can reserve from 7 to 11 a.m., on the same day you want to go to the specialty restaurant. The drinks and wine served at the hotel are of uniformly mediocre quality. The main bar, roughly comparable to a bus terminal, is not a happy place (upside: no drunks!). The very obliging Fernando and his colleagues there work hard, but they are understaffed, as is the main dining room. The opposite is true of the numerous maintenance crew, who endlessly sweep the walks, water the grass by hand, range the beach chairs in symmetrical lines. To its credit, the hotel offers a plenitude of newish reclining chairs in shady locations all along the beachfront. The beach, alas, is mostly unswimmable, except at high tide. An artificial barrier of black volcanic rocks closes the ocean off from the shore. You can bathe in the tidal pool behind it, or in the icky big salt water pool adjacent, or in the four or five clean fresh water pools. We highly recommend the trip (from 9 to 3) to Costa Azul, the hotel beach club. The round trip, in a North American orange school bus, costs $2 and lasts about 40 mins. each way. Here you encounter a stunning expanse of wide-open beach, with lovely surf, if that is what you like. The hotel employees will prepare a delicious lunch and man a little sit-down bar. The bathroom and changing facilities are good. N.B, if 15 people do not sign up to go on any given day the trip is cancelled. You can always try for the next day, as we did (successfully), but you will not recover you $2 otherwise. Another very worthwhile excursion takes you across the border to Antigua Guatemala ($100 per person), a lovely and very historical colonial town surrounded by volcanos. Although it is a tourist centre, somewhat comparable to Key West Fla., you will be fascinated by its picturesque ruins, cheek by jowl with restored monuments, pleasant walkable streets ( guarded by tourist police), and the colourful Maya-speaking locals. Your tour will include lunch at the Las Antorchas restaurant, where the food is OK, but the rude staff will do its best to run you off the premises in record time.
The demographics of Las Salinitas is clear-cut: about 20% gringos, almost all Canadian, 80% Salvadorans or visitors from nearby countries. The local constituency does not appear to tip the staff; perhaps a service charge is included in the package they buy. We never heard a single minute of real music in the hotel, no guitars, no piano, no singer, no Salvadoran melody; just canned, over-amplified noise. You can view NFL football, via Fox, on big-screen TVs in the main bar. Jean-Francois Ruel, the bi-lingual Nolitour rep, deserves praise for his long working hours and ability succinctly to impart useful information. One last point; Las Salinitas is a decidedly child-friendly destination. Many three-generation fimilies stay here and enjoy it.

Room Tip: block 1 far from lobby excellent location
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
17  Thank Reuel-London-Canada
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Please read all of this as I will put the good first and the bad last. We arrived at 16:30 and had no problem getting a room. We were told however that all restaurant reservations were taken and we had to eat at the buffet which was mediocre. In order to get a reservation for the next day we had to be there before 9 otherwise everything would be booked. I got there at 7 and booked at the Mediterranean restaurant. The food was excellent as was the service. The rooms were spacious and clean. There is a safe in the room but you have to go to the lobby to get a lock and costs $3 per night. The pool was very nice and the grounds were well maintained.

We went for breakfast the following morning and watched a young woman sweat over our omelets as she cooked them due to the heat from the grill. We asked a waitress to clean our table so we could eat and she did so promptly throwing beans and crumbs on the floor. The food was mediocre at best in the buffet line. We then went to the pool and watched a young woman breast feed her child by the edge of the pool. The kid was around 2 and the mother around 18, all au natural. She then allowed the child to swim in the pool diaper and all. I think I remember what most kids do after they eat. There were a variety of men proudly displaying their thick gold chains which reminded me of some of the Scarface actors I had seen. The service at the bars was not great. On one occasion I arrived and a group of young men were just hanging around sipping their drinks. I went up to the bar, no one else in line, and waited while the three people behind the bar prepared drinks for each other, chatted and just wasted time completely ignoring me. I asked if the bar was open and was told yes but no offer to serve was made. I then asked clearly for what I wanted and was served. At another bar a young man by the name of Luis did the same thing. He tended to all those around except me. Only when I spoke to him in spanish did he respond. My conclusion is that they don't speak english and ignore you hoping you go away. If you have not been anyplace else, this is ok. If you have been to resorts in the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico etc. then this is at the bottom of the list regarding food, quality of drinks and service. The beach is ok if its the first one you have ever visited. If you have been to the Caribbean this is terrible. I did not bother getting in. Would I go back? Doubtfully even if it was free.

Room Tip: Luck of the draw.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank Joesilvia
Reviewed November 20, 2013

The food was less than average. There were long lines for drinks that took forever to get. It was overcrowded and not a resort. I would consider it a very average hotel. The pool was lovely. The room was clean. That is the best I can say. We will not return.

Room Tip: All the same as far as I could see.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank NeesyL
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had a fantastic stay in EL Salvador and we hope to return. It is a perfect destination weather wise for January. No worries to experience night temp. of 4-5 C as we did a couple of times in Cuba in January.

Here the temp was in the mid 30's C during the day and a hot and humid evenings. The hotel is great, beautiful, luscious vegetation, we had spotted a few iguanas ( in the morning they are warming themselves on the beach at the end of the resort ( where block 1 ends ) and later on they are behind block 1 in the trees or near the lagoon)
The ocean is hot and wavy but when the tide is out you only have the salt water pool or the regular pools. We only ate at the buffet. It is a buffet so don't expect gourmet, but overall the food is very good. It is a bit of a hassle to get an expresso or cappucino in the morning; the management should have the all the bars open for coffee service. I've noticed that only the main bar was serving this type of coffee around 10 am and the line up was kind of long. Not upset about it but it is not OK to stand up in line for 15 min to get a coffee.

Maid service was great. We had a room at block 1 first floor. Nice ocean view, as all rooms face the ocean. You get the one bottle of water per day and you can go for free refills.
In regards to the water. they say do not brush your teeth with tap water. Also take Imodium with you as there is a chance to get sick not because of the food but because we do not have immunity for the bacteria's from that area. I had a bad case of bloody diarrhea, lasted for 24 hours because Imodium helped. My wife was OK thou as she usually takes probiotics frequently. I recommended to take some powerful 5 strain probiotic 2-3 weeks prior departure and also take it with you over there.

As for trips we did a few but not the ones offered by the hotel. We hired Francisco from Thextremetour. He actually picked us from the airport to save us the bus trip. We had a nice chat all the way to the hotel. I am always curious to find out as much about other countries so during the 90 minutes drive I found out a lot about Salvador; he also detailed the trips we were about to take the next few days. First we went for the St. Anna Volcano. That was gruesome, especially for the last 15 minutes. We were about to give up but we glad we did not. Fabulous scenery from up there. Also we tasted some local chicken sandwiches, some local fruits I never heard of before and drank some coconut water from a plastic bag ( the salvadorian way). For the second trip we did the trip to the waterfalls where I took a bath in some ice cold water. Also we went to various places around like the market, some nice old towns, and had a great lunch at a beautiful rustic restaurant. I bought some coffee at a coffee shop and when I got back to Canada I was upset for not filling my suitcase with Salvadorian coffee. I know that Starbucks buys coffee from Salvador but somehow they manage to ruin the coffee beans. Overall Francisco is a fantastic guide and has a great personality. If you prefer to have personalized tour he will do it as you please. When we left the resort Francisco came to pick us up and drove us to the airport. Once you check in go upstairs and eat some Pollo Camperos. Way better than KFC.

We will definitely return to Decameron and El Salvador because it's a fantastic place.

PS: Bring water shoes as the ocean is a bit rocky. If you forget to buy them at home the hotel store has some for sale.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank seby01
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed in this hotel in December 2012 for about two nights. I genuinely enjoyed the hotels. Rooms were nice and clean and hotel employees were friendly. The beach is just 10 seconds away from the rooms - very convenient. Hotel amenities are easily accessible and are of high quality.

On the other hand, the check in process took a bit longer than it takes in other properties. We were placed in the room with many other travelers and had to wait for about 10 minutes for our names to be called so that we can check in. In order to secure our spot in one of their restaurants for dinner we had to get up very early in order to book it. However, these were minor disadvantages and they did not influence the overall experience.

We wanted to stay couple more days but unfortunately the hotel was completely booked :(

Room Tip: - Book in advance - Secure your dinner reservations as soon as possible - Ask them to put you at t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ksenia C
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I traveled to el Salvador last in may of last year. I had been in other locations of decameron and i had a wonderfull experience so i decided to go to Salinitas. The hotel, the people, and the food was excelent. I have no complaints at all. when you travel with a group be ready to experience delays but if you travel just with your familiy like I did, you will not have that much problems. Choose a low season to avoid crowdes. If you are planing to go out of the resort, talk to one of the belt men from the front desk. Ask for Don Julio the taxy driver he will take you any where for a low rate, compare to the tour rates of the hotel. El Sunzal is the best place to surf it is a bit far but it is worth it. Make sure you take your surfboard. I rented a surf board and it was terrible. Ask a local to surf with you if you do not have company, he will do it for a few dollars. Locals are friendly they take care of the tourist do not be afraid, but be cautious. TAKE A FEW DOLLAR BILLS NORHT AMERICANS ALWAYS TIPS WHY NOT DO IT IN EL SALVADOR. YOU WILL GET A BETTER SERVICE.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Juan A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonsonate
HOTEL JUAYUA
#1 of 3 in Apaneca
Ataco Backpackers
Ataco Backpackers
#5 of 11 in Concepcion de Ataco

Been to Royal Decameron Salinitas? Share your experiences!