“Worst costumer service ever”

Royal Decameron Salinitas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sonsonate
Reviewed August 30, 2013

From the beginning of our trip the customer service was horrible. They do not have reservations available for their restaurants and that was the first issue, the lady didn't even other checking if there was a cancellation and right away told us no is a nasty manner. They made us get 2 rooms due to the size of our family and I requested communicated rooms because my 4 children are under 12 and when we got to the rooms we realized they were not communicated. I went to customer service desk and she told me right away they didn't have any other rooms available and wanted to force me to keep my children in 1 room and us in the other room or divide us with the children which is not fair because this is a family trip, we should go through this, how could they force me to such thing, I requested to speak to a manager and in less than 5 minutes we got 2 communicated rooms. Then the customer service over roll with the staff was horrible. I checked out before my leaving time because I refused to stay in a place where my family is not treated respectfully. I WILL NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL EVER AGAIN, IS A WASTE OF MONEY $$$

Room Tip: It's not worth it
4  Thank Roxanna C

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Me and my spouse visited El Salvador last fall. We really appreciated our stay but not at the Decameron. The overall experience is cheap... Food is SUPER bad, wine is awful, the beach sucks and the rooms are OK nothing more. We've planned a fishing trip with the agency at the resort... not a really good idea.... The fishing experience was nice and the fisherman were super sweet but the price...STEEP!! I'm pretty sure those two fisherman didn't get a dime from my 300$ I paid for that fishing expedition. Anyway, we only stayed there 2 nights, we had reserved at a surf camp in El Tunco (qi-x) wich was much better! We had a awesome time in El Tunco with all the locals. I'll propably never go back to the decameron

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank crccrew
Reviewed August 22, 2013

DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL UNLESS YOU LIKE GETTING YOUR PROPERTY STOLEN.
My family and I have been coming to this resort for years, and this past vacation they STOLE our passports, they were handed to the customer service front desk for verification of identification, they never handed it back to us, and then when we asked them for them back, they said we never gave it to them and they didnt have it. THEY DIDNT EVEN LOOK for them. We asked for a manager and they refused, we called the resort after we left and they would not pick up their phones, when they finally did pick the phone they hung up on us. PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE TO GIVE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY TO THIS RESORT. We were supposed to the airport on Saturday evening and instead had to stay until Wednesday to get new passports at the US Embassy. PLEASE BE CAREFUL. THE WORST THING IS LOSING YOUR PASSPORT IN ANOTHER COUNTRY and not being able to go home, and then spending your money to try and fix the issue.

Room Tip: "Rooms that show beach view"
10  Thank MARISA R
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Let me get it straight: It's conceived to move masses in and out. The huge complex has to be paid somehow. If you expect intimacy or custom, pampering, tailored service, look for another hotel.

For those of you that have not browsed away for other hotels, there is hope: DON'T ignore advice of the reviewers, and you'll be fine, and have a great time.

1: Inform yourself when reserving about the 3 restaurants and choose one, if you wait until you arrive to do so, it's the general buffet area for you.

2: If you arrive at 3:00 pm, the check in is like a prison: long lines, tired staff. I arrived at 4:00 pm, 1 hour after check in time, and it was a breeze, only waited 20 minutes for the room, having a drink with the family. Yes, the process is meant to squeeze an hour out of your time no matter what you do. Accept it and move on.

3: Take your own: Towels (it's not worth it to be lugging around a banged up towel and then be concerned they will charge you 20 bucks if you lose it). Big Gulp cup (they'll fill it up for you gladly, and you'll avoid going back to the bar each time you finish the 6 oz cup they give you)

4: Spend the extra 3 bucks in the room safe deposit lock. Should it be free? Yes, but what's 3 bucks versus your precious tablet/watch/laptop/wallet? Also, don't leave your stuff unattended: There's a gazillion other tourists around.

Ok, you have your checklist. Now on to the review:

Rooms are really nice and big, beds comfortable, AC works fine. They say it's a room for four adults and they don't lie. Don't expect to squeeze more than 2 kids with the 4 adults, and you'll be fine. TV works well and has cable, bath only has a shower, and you have a balcony to look at the sea. Great!

Food is nice, but no french ratatouille-grade cooks work here. The restaurants are way more comfortable, than buffet areas, but even there the menu is VERY limited. Did I say VERY limited? Also, don't expect kids meals. Drinks are served generously in small cups, but you can bring your own and will be fine. Breakfast is so-so, but you will find something to your liking.

Service... ah, the Achilles heel as everyone comments. Staff seems trained for mass production, efficient but not sympathetic. Will keep your table clean even if they snatch the plate you are still eating from, but they'll never let you go thirsty (which is nice of them). Managers seem to treat them in 'where there is a whip there is a will' fashion, and don't expect them to be conceding to you. They DO seem underpaid...

Entertainment and facilities are nice, there's a show every night, and pools, beaches, chairs, kayaks, and all that you read in the pamphlet. Well done, a very nice complex, with an excess of mayan-style statues you will get fond of, and plenty of local trees still growing all over the place. Very tropical.

In the end, you'll find that a one night stay is probably too short to enjoy it (for example, they close the pools at 7:00 pm, and you lose an hour getting in and an hour getting out). Definitely go for a two or more nights stay if you can afford it, don't expect to be treated in 'customer is king' fashion (even though you know you should), and you will enjoy it a lot.

Have fun!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper floors, you will get a wonderful sight of the ocean. Avoid if possibl...
14  Thank Doemens
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have been staying in the hotel for about
10 yrs. I love the hotel. Never had a negative experience with the staff. It's like everything every where they all had regulation, and recommendations they make. The food is different every day in the all you can eat buffet. I've been coming here for 10yrs, and never seen them measuring the food. If you want to eat in any of the 3 a la Cart restaurants, they let you know at the time of reservation and when you check in to order a day before or early in the morning. Be aware that if you do not reserve the day before, you would have to get up early in the morning. My son loves the place. He really enjoy the pools, and when is time to leave he always ask for one more night. The bathrooms are pretty clean, but I did notice this time that they were short of toilet paper. Other than that very nice. I highly recommended.

Room Tip: I love to stay in the rooms ocean view by the buffet. Don't remember the name of the restaurant...
3  Thank Julia1940
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had a large group at this resort and we really enjoyed it. The food and entertainment were really great. I especially liked the a la carte seafood restaurant and the massages were also really nice.

3  Thank Annvoyager
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was our first time visiting the resort. We had a great time. We were traveling from San Miguel so we had a 4 hour drive. Nonetheless, the time spent at the resort was nice. The check in process is a bit weird. The rooms, however, are spacious and clean. The kids loved the pool, and I really enjoyed the salt water pool. I do have to agree with other though; the food could be better. The daily night show is awesome, and the night club is pretty good itself also.

2  Thank LuvTravel14_1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonsonate
HOTEL JUAYUA
#1 of 3 in Apaneca
El Balcon de Ataco
El Balcon de Ataco
#9 of 13 in Concepcion de Ataco

Been to Royal Decameron Salinitas? Share your experiences!