“thieves!!!”

Royal Decameron Salinitas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sonsonate
Reviewed August 22, 2013

DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL UNLESS YOU LIKE GETTING YOUR PROPERTY STOLEN.
My family and I have been coming to this resort for years, and this past vacation they STOLE our passports, they were handed to the customer service front desk for verification of identification, they never handed it back to us, and then when we asked them for them back, they said we never gave it to them and they didnt have it. THEY DIDNT EVEN LOOK for them. We asked for a manager and they refused, we called the resort after we left and they would not pick up their phones, when they finally did pick the phone they hung up on us. PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE TO GIVE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY TO THIS RESORT. We were supposed to the airport on Saturday evening and instead had to stay until Wednesday to get new passports at the US Embassy. PLEASE BE CAREFUL. THE WORST THING IS LOSING YOUR PASSPORT IN ANOTHER COUNTRY and not being able to go home, and then spending your money to try and fix the issue.

Room Tip: "Rooms that show beach view"
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank MARISA R
Write a ReviewReviews (2,121)

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Let me get it straight: It's conceived to move masses in and out. The huge complex has to be paid somehow. If you expect intimacy or custom, pampering, tailored service, look for another hotel.

For those of you that have not browsed away for other hotels, there is hope: DON'T ignore advice of the reviewers, and you'll be fine, and have a great time.

1: Inform yourself when reserving about the 3 restaurants and choose one, if you wait until you arrive to do so, it's the general buffet area for you.

2: If you arrive at 3:00 pm, the check in is like a prison: long lines, tired staff. I arrived at 4:00 pm, 1 hour after check in time, and it was a breeze, only waited 20 minutes for the room, having a drink with the family. Yes, the process is meant to squeeze an hour out of your time no matter what you do. Accept it and move on.

3: Take your own: Towels (it's not worth it to be lugging around a banged up towel and then be concerned they will charge you 20 bucks if you lose it). Big Gulp cup (they'll fill it up for you gladly, and you'll avoid going back to the bar each time you finish the 6 oz cup they give you)

4: Spend the extra 3 bucks in the room safe deposit lock. Should it be free? Yes, but what's 3 bucks versus your precious tablet/watch/laptop/wallet? Also, don't leave your stuff unattended: There's a gazillion other tourists around.

Ok, you have your checklist. Now on to the review:

Rooms are really nice and big, beds comfortable, AC works fine. They say it's a room for four adults and they don't lie. Don't expect to squeeze more than 2 kids with the 4 adults, and you'll be fine. TV works well and has cable, bath only has a shower, and you have a balcony to look at the sea. Great!

Food is nice, but no french ratatouille-grade cooks work here. The restaurants are way more comfortable, than buffet areas, but even there the menu is VERY limited. Did I say VERY limited? Also, don't expect kids meals. Drinks are served generously in small cups, but you can bring your own and will be fine. Breakfast is so-so, but you will find something to your liking.

Service... ah, the Achilles heel as everyone comments. Staff seems trained for mass production, efficient but not sympathetic. Will keep your table clean even if they snatch the plate you are still eating from, but they'll never let you go thirsty (which is nice of them). Managers seem to treat them in 'where there is a whip there is a will' fashion, and don't expect them to be conceding to you. They DO seem underpaid...

Entertainment and facilities are nice, there's a show every night, and pools, beaches, chairs, kayaks, and all that you read in the pamphlet. Well done, a very nice complex, with an excess of mayan-style statues you will get fond of, and plenty of local trees still growing all over the place. Very tropical.

In the end, you'll find that a one night stay is probably too short to enjoy it (for example, they close the pools at 7:00 pm, and you lose an hour getting in and an hour getting out). Definitely go for a two or more nights stay if you can afford it, don't expect to be treated in 'customer is king' fashion (even though you know you should), and you will enjoy it a lot.

Have fun!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper floors, you will get a wonderful sight of the ocean. Avoid if possibl...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
14  Thank Doemens
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have been staying in the hotel for about
10 yrs. I love the hotel. Never had a negative experience with the staff. It's like everything every where they all had regulation, and recommendations they make. The food is different every day in the all you can eat buffet. I've been coming here for 10yrs, and never seen them measuring the food. If you want to eat in any of the 3 a la Cart restaurants, they let you know at the time of reservation and when you check in to order a day before or early in the morning. Be aware that if you do not reserve the day before, you would have to get up early in the morning. My son loves the place. He really enjoy the pools, and when is time to leave he always ask for one more night. The bathrooms are pretty clean, but I did notice this time that they were short of toilet paper. Other than that very nice. I highly recommended.

Room Tip: I love to stay in the rooms ocean view by the buffet. Don't remember the name of the restaurant...
3  Thank Julia1940
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had a large group at this resort and we really enjoyed it. The food and entertainment were really great. I especially liked the a la carte seafood restaurant and the massages were also really nice.

3  Thank Annvoyager
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was our first time visiting the resort. We had a great time. We were traveling from San Miguel so we had a 4 hour drive. Nonetheless, the time spent at the resort was nice. The check in process is a bit weird. The rooms, however, are spacious and clean. The kids loved the pool, and I really enjoyed the salt water pool. I do have to agree with other though; the food could be better. The daily night show is awesome, and the night club is pretty good itself also.

2  Thank LuvTravel14_1
Reviewed August 6, 2013

There were 11 of us and got stuck in two rooms! my brand new camera got stolen and after filing a report it magically appeared, don't get fooled by the all you can eat buffet, they do measure the food you eat, its the same food everyday and if you are not up at 7 am to book reservations for the a la cart restaurants, you are stuck having the same for dinner. I think people are overworked and not well paid, therefore they don't care about the service they provide. I cannot remember one friendly face! Training is highly needed.
As of me, that was it; 3 times and I'm out!

4  Thank Xiomara R
Reviewed August 1, 2013

After reading some of the negative reviews below, I feel compelled to respond. My family and I stayed at the DeCameron for our second year in a row, this past March 2013, for 3 weeks. We had a wonderful time. The staff were extremely helpful and professional in all of our interactions with them. However, I did find the behavior of many of my Canadian countrymen/women, American and Europeans to be extremely rude and demanding. Although I too share that North American/European sense of entitlement, I found the rudeness of these individuals to be unacceptable and embarrassing and commend the staff of the DeCameron Resorts, including the management team, for their professionalism and tolerance in dealing with such behavior.

As many of us who use modern technology are aware, things can go wrong and we can't always have our own way with television when we want it. Luckily for those of us who stayed at the resort in March of this year, all went well with signals and weather and those who were interested were able to watch some exciting sports action and those of us who were not interested in this, found other things to do, which included going to our room or even walking/swimming on the beach which is something we all paid for - seeing as the resort is at the beach and not a soccer field. Further, there is a language barrier - the staff speak Spanish and most of the guests I noticed, including myself and my family speak our own languages, making no effort to learn words in the language of our host country. The inability to communicate on both sides should not be misconstrued as rude, rather just an inability to communicate. I highly recommend the resort and staff.

Tracy Gagnon-Kellar

Room Tip: I have stayed facing the ocean on both visits and would suggest ocean facing rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
19  Thank Tracy G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonsonate
HOTEL JUAYUA
#9 of 13 in Concepcion de Ataco
Santa Leticia
Santa Leticia
#1 of 3 in Apaneca

Been to Royal Decameron Salinitas? Share your experiences!