“Below Average Food, Good Hotel”

Royal Decameron Salinitas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sonsonate
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Below Average Food, Good Hotel”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you like a regimen, military-like schedule, this might be the place for you. You will eat, drink, swim and sleep when they tell you. I recommend bringing a big cup or beverage container for your drinks. (They sever all beverages in very small cups.) Also, if you loose anything be prepared to pay extra.

The food is below average, unless you go to the restaurants. The restaurant I'd recommend is Maya Grill. Order the Baby Beef or the BBQ Trio. The Churrasco is chewy. The buffets always have lines and the good food often runs out quickly. If you want the best selection, arrive early.

Staff
The unhelpful staff is the main reason I gave this place such a poor rating. They were extremely unhelpful. They had no inclination to do anything helpful. In fact, they were often down right rude. For example, I don't drink and often asked for water (instead of the limitless alcohol most people drank) and I frequently had to ask several times to get the water, while others would receive their alcoholic beverages right away.

Rooms
The rooms are great. Several beds. The air conditioner worked throughout the night and there was always hot water. The hotel has a back-up generator, so we never lost electricity.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view, close to restaurant 1 and lobby 1.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joan K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Czech first
London, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We first visited this resort back in Jan 08. We got off to a rough start after an extended delay leaving Canada. My husband became ill on the flight. We were taken to a private hospital where he received far better care than he would have at home. I can't say enough good things about the hospital and the staff there. Don't get me started on how clean it was or the secure feeling that the "uniforms" provided when we don't speak a word of Spanish! The Nolitours rep was also very helpful in knowing exactly where to send us. We spent 2 weeks here and were very well rested upon our return! This resort is huge. Lots and lots to do do here or just find a chair either at one of the many pools or the beach and just relax! No vendors coming up to you with pressure to buy. You go down the beach to them. No begging when out on excursions. The crafts and culture tour is always the best shopping trip! We learned so much about this country by going on some of the excursions and talking to the young people who escort you. We returned here to celebrate my 50th birthday in Nov. 2011 and went to the Thermal Waters and the Zipline! What an amazing trip! I would do it again! The restaurants are also very good, but so are the two buffets!

Room Tip: we prefer a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor above the noise of the those who like to stay out late
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank runawaygrandmas
usa
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Sorry this took so long to post. Spring break/Holy week trip March 23rd (Littlechum’s 5th trip and my husband Paul’s first.) Our kind friend Hector took a taxi to the airport ( sadly his car was stolen 2 weeks before our trip!) and met us so he could drive our rental through San Salvador. I’m not too scared about driving in El Salvador because I’ve done it before, but this was at night after a full day of travel and I just had a weird feeling about it. Hector taught me a lot that night about driving like a native and I was able to use this knowledge later to channel my inner Salvadoran and drive properly. Dinner with Hector and his Mom at mountain branch of La Pampa Argentina in Escalon (nice view, nice food) and overnight at the Marriot.

Next morning tried (and failed) to get an early start to Santa Ana to meet up with Juan L. and his family. Rental car was easy to drive, signage was pretty good. They are working on the highway and the delays were long. Also my i-phone GPS did not work, so had to just follow Juan’s general directions, which were good. Pizza Hut is his preferred meeting spot in Santa Ana. Had a nice visit at their house (homemade quesadilla, a kind of coffeecake- never had it before- and a iced drink made of cashew flowers. Both yummy!) Toured the new house they are building - the design is perfect for them.

Silvia L. had everyone packed and ready to head for the coast. First we stopped in Juayua for lunch, because it was Sunday and I had never attended the food festival. Had shrimp, and Paul had ribs. Watched the party bus try to navigate the crowded streets and at one point top-deck patrons had to hand lift some power lines to avoid decapitation. It was one of those goofy Central American moments I wish I had on film. Juan wanted to hang out until the Atole de Elote ladies showed up, and all the L.’s enjoyed that. Thus we proceeded on to the Decameron. Hector gave us some “points” from his vacation club so it was only $342 for 4 nights for the 2 of us. The L.’s got some discounts too, so for Easter week pricing we were really pleased.

Good times at the Decameron. Hung out with the L. Kids, went to the beach club for 1 day, played in the sea and liked being in the pool at night. I thought the buffet food was fine. Maybe it would be a bit monotonous for a week, but I thought they did a good job with it. I invented my own pasta sauces from the condiments they provided. Went to the show each night to be good vacationers. I hadn’t been there since they opened in 2005, but it is as nice as then or even improved – don’t quite see what the complainers are on about. Ok, maybe it’s not the Ritz but they aren’t trying to be. I had a great 4 days there!

The L.’s only stayed 2 nights, so for our next 2 days Paul and I just hung out by the pools, took a bike ride, went to the shows. We were really starting to get into the resort lifestyle. On Thursday we checked out and confused the staff when we told them we had our own car and did not need transport. We drove up to Los Naranjos to meet up with the L’s again – they have a cabin up in the mountains. Somehow we were able to bypass Sonsonate and got there with only one tiny detour. Los Naranjos is beautiful! Juan says lots of people are trying to buy weekend homes there now. The cabin is a dream - I would love to live there. We went to Paso de Alaska for a drink, then on to Ataco. We were going to have lunch at Jardin de Celeste, which I love, but they were full, so we went to Santa Leticia instead. Nice ribs for us and chicha chicken for Silvia. Beautiful finca. I might consider staying there at some point.

After that we said goodbye to the L.’s and headed back to the coast. We drove through the 5 tunnels all the way to El Sunzal ( about 2.5 hours from Los Naranjos I guess) and checked into the Kayu. Paul was very impressed by the room and the view! After all this, it was almost dark, so we just had some nachos and drinks in the hotel restaurant. The nachos were fantastic. They don’t have satellite tv, so we watched a retro dvd: Where The Boys Are. It’s spring break, for Pedro’s sake! Oh, and Paul is a college professor!

Next day we had the Kayu (very good) breakfast staring at that beautiful ocean and the surfers. Heavenly. We may have set a personal early bird record by swimming in the pool at 9:30am . Checked out and then did something that all my Salvadorans thought completely ridiculous: took a test drive to the airport in preparation for the next day. (yeah we heard the comments: ooh ooh overly nervous gringos, jaja you guys are so funny!) I know, nuts, but I thought it would be dark when we left at 5:30 am and we might get lost. It probably wasn’t necessary in the end, (fyi, there is some light at 5:30) but was fine because we enjoyed the drive and a nice guy at the airport actually checked us in for tomorrow and upgraded our seats! On the way back, we stopped in La Libertad (found a great parking lot for $3 with a guard) and wandered around the malecon and the pier. Very busy and crowded Friday of Holy Week.. Excellent memories of that afternoon. Slice of life real El Salvador.

Back to El Sunzal and checked into Casa del Mar. They seemed to remember me. Umm, hope that’s a good thing! I love that hotel. (It was full the night before thus the Kayu -which was quite good too.) Strolled down the beach to El Tunco. Dude! Totally different vibe to other parts of El Salv. That surfer culture is foreign to me, but somehow fascinates. Had drinks and a snack, “fish bites” at Erika’s. Nice way to spend an afternoon. El Tunco was packed!

Lazed around Casa Del Mar , swam in the sea a bit in the twilight, (never seen the beach so crowded!) then had dinner at the hotel. Camarones Empanazados are always good there.

Up early Saturday, easy drive to the airport, returned car (had to wait a bit, no drop box for keys.) Because we already checked in for our flights, all was very fast and easy. Bought 7 lbs of coffee for gifts. Everyone else brought back Pollo Campero, as usual. Impossible for us because of connecting flights, but wish we could!

Overall a really good introduction to El Salvador for Paul. He loved it and wants to return. Wish we had a few more days to see all of our friends, but we did pack a lot into 1 week. Next time I think I will arrive in daylight and crack that drive to the city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank littlechum
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed with my family during my visit. and agreed to participate in their infamous Multivacations meeting. It's a deceive package. You will regret your participation. It's better to get any package through any major carrier such Hotels.com, Expedia or any other.

I got the package and I tried book a vacation for New Year Eve. Two night in Hotels.com for tree rooms and 5 adults and two children would cost $1016, with the Multivacaciones will cost you $1980.
If you signed the contract and try to get your money back, they won't return any penny to you.

The hotel is overall good, clean. But be careful with your belongs. Someone stole a pair of expensive shoes from my son's room. No one take responsibility for anything.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Patty Q
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2013

It's time to enjoy life with no worry at Royal Decameron Salinistas. It's situated about 5 hours from Antigua (including time at the border) and about 1 hour north of La Libertad on El Salvador's Pacific coast. Royal Decameron offers relaxation without hastle: no dishes to wash, no bed to make, no worry about money. The price includes all the food you can eat, all the drinks, alcohol included, you can consume, and all the services and facilities. For leisure, there are 4 swimming pools but my preference was the seawater one built on the beach. What a pleasure to float in salted waters without the inconvenience of the ocean's waves. Decameron is very secure and private. I would recommend Decameron to any couple who wants to escape the day-to-day routine and concentrate on their wellness. It's worry-free, just 'disfrutar la vida!"

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank trebla L
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was in pleasure and business trip went to this place I had a very good time in this hotel. The service was good and I really enjoy my time having a lot of fun. Food was really good and the beach is great! Rooms were clean we had a great ocean view and I recommend it first time i well go again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank hamer1495
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My family and I spent 2 days in this beach resort. It surpassed our expectations. Overall the service was fantastic, the place itself is so amazing. Food was great and we didn't have to worry about carrying money with us as once you pay, you can eat/drink as much as you like. It's definitely good value. I definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants to have a relaxing holiday.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank jmartinez m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonsonate
Hotel Alicante Montana
#11 of 49 in San Salvador
Atami Escape Resort
Atami Escape Resort
#1 of 2 in Tamanique

Been to Royal Decameron Salinitas? Share your experiences!