“A true hidden gem!”

Royal Decameron Salinitas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sonsonate
“A true hidden gem!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Just came back from my trip to this resort in El Salvador. All my friends or people I tell I'm going to El Salvador are shocked cause I don't think it's a popular destination compare to other Central American countries. I'm hoping this will change as this is a lovely country with the most warm friendly people. They serve you with a smile without expecting anything from you. Unlike if u go to Dominican or Cuba, they only smile at you if you tip. I'm really impressed with these hard working people at the resort and will be back for sure.

Sure it is a 2 hr drive to the hotel from the airport but the I enjoyed looking at the scenery. You get to see the city plus all the volcanoes and mountains . It depends on what route they take you I guess but going back we got to see the pacific coast line. The resort is huge beautiful and well kept. You will never go hungry at this resort. They two buffet restaurant and 4 ala carte restaurant. Need to be up early to book as most resort or you will be out of luck. Definately need to try the other beach it's worth it for only $2 for the bus ride which is 30 mins away. The beach at the resort is actually not too bad during the high tide. Didn't get to try the salt water pool as I didn't have water shoes and I heard it was rocky. They have nightly shows which were excellent and you can tell they really these people are really working hard to please everyone. I don't think safety is an issue here if go to tours with the group or resort. Tourism police are present in one of our excursion.

We were actually the last batch of Canadians they chartered, next one will be November as their rainy season is starting. I would have rated this all excellent but a few of us got stomach issue, must have been the creamy seafood I ate one night. I would suggest taking dukoral if u wanna go and enjoy all the yummy food

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Jaysinn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Czech first
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Worst all inclusive ever. We stayed there for 3 days to relax, however we just got so stressed out with the service, food and overall just a bad ending to our vacation. They advertise a la carte restaurant but don't have enough space for their reservation, even before we got there all restaurants were booked solid for the entire week. You could try your luck and wake up early at 6:30am and see if there was a cancellation... I mean wake up early on vacation? On a place that's charging us $370 a night? With the worst customer service? Just and horrible experience.... Wouldn't recommend this to anyone

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Josuefigueroa

Travelers are raving about these Sonsonate hotels

toronto
Reviewed March 30, 2013

If you like it hot, El Salvador in late winter is the place for you. By mid morning it's in the mid-30s. By afternoon the pool is deserted by everyone but the hardened sun lovers.
The resort is big and sprawling so you never feel crowded. There is lots to do and see.
Rooms are large enough and well maintained.
Staff is friendly and helpful.
Food is OK but some in my group of four were ill for a day or two, perhaps from something they ate.
It seemed pretty common among the group that flew in from Toronto the week of March 21.
Trips were well worth the price and it's a toss up whether we enjoyed the trip to the western mountains or the visit to San Salvador the most.
Safety and security are never issues, the tourist police are always nearby.
A trip worth taking and we would do it again.

Room Tip: We had a corner room and it was smaller than others but the balcony made it worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bartToronto
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Just back from 2 weeks. Simply beautiful. Absolutely no complaints.....was initially skeptical because of some reviews here, however far exceeded my expectations. Weather 35 plus himidity so if you do not fare well with heat, then.....
Finally, 3 times at the other beach. 2$ and book a day ahead. Exursions we picked were cancelled due to lack of people. :(, however made the best of it...Walked many times past the resort on the beach. Found a large cave===simply amazing.
You will never go hungry from the various types of food-found the buffet the best do to variety. A la cartes, they do try. Finally we did the dukarol (sic) thing, and did not get sick LOL. However many people did. Not pleasant. Well worth the pre investment. GO GO GO, and enjoy!!! Would recomment it in a flash...The El Salvadorians are BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE. Enjoyed the local tourists from neighbouring countries. Very polite and informative. Again Go go go.....March 14-28/2013. Jeff in Toronto.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeffrey W
Mather, California
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Our trip to the Royal Decameron Salinitas Hotel in El Salvador, C.A. on January 25 - 27, 2013, was wonderful. I had the opportunity to write the survey, when we checked out. We had a great time, however, one of the things that I did not like, was the access for wheelchairs. I can not walk, and when I went to the bathroom outside, they were not accessable. According to what they said it was "Accessible." Unfortunately, the toilet is right in front, and so the only way is to go to the bathroom while the door is open. That is not acceptale.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We went to royal decameron from febuary 19 and returned the 26th. We LOVED it. The Food was amazing and delicious. Although, The ocean pool was very salty and they sides were very rocky and sharp. I they told us I have to get stiches and I was very nervous but when we got to the infirmmary they said i will need the tape instead and I was SO happy cause I heard they dont freeze it when it comes to that sort of thing.I would NOT recommend that ocean pool. But the rest of the pools were amazing. If you want to reserve a restaurant i would recommend get up at 6:45 a.m. so you could be the first to make a reservation. My favourite restaurent was Bambu cause of the tasty rice and Mayan grill cause of the juicy steaks. At the bars, i LOVED their pina colladas ( If you order one and there are some red stuff at the bottom dont panic, its just honey).
But The bus drive from the airport was aproximately 2 hours but i didnt mind, I like looking out the window and watching how Salvadorians live. The securaty is very HIGH. if you want to go shopping down town in Sonsonate you must sign a contract and write approxamatly when you will be back. If you took too long they send out a search party. And in the resort there was around 20-50 security guards every day/night. They night shows were very enjoyable and after every kids show they would give a handful of free candy to the kids. If your'e not used to south at night you will see so many small lizards. At first its kind of scary. But later you will find them cool or cute. Me and my family really enjoyed this resort and we will surely come back again.

Room Tip: Do NOT go into the saltwater pool, very salty,muddy,and sharp.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank LetsGoSouth123
Newmarket, Ontario
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We just got back from a great stay at the Royal Decameron resort in El Salvador. We traveled as a group of 6, myself, my girlfriend and our four kids ranging from 12 to 18. We have stayed here before and vowed to return. It is a large resort with approximately 530 rooms all with an ocean view. The resort is clean and well maintained. The staff is constantly working to keep things clean and help make your stay enjoyable. English here is hit and miss but the staff always makes an effort to communicate with you. Really cant say enough about the staff and how pleasant they are to the guests. The food was remarkable with several variety's of foods to choose from. The beach at the resort is very rocky and not much for swimming but when the tide was out it was interesting to see the ocean floor and find what was inside the little tidal pools. There is a private beach around 30 minutes away from the resort which a bus takes you to, the cost for this is $2. (all money here is in USD, they will exchange Canadian Dollars but the exchange rate was 80 cents). The waves at the beach are nice to surf on, there is also a in ground pool, buffet and bar.. At the resort there are 5 pools to choose from. Finding chairs and shade was never a problem and we went during March break. At night there was an hour long show which was different every night with many talented dancers, There was also a night when it was volunteers from the audience that performed. They like to use the audience every night in the show, so beware if sitting in the front rows. They did a very good job keeping the audience entertained. The rooms were immaculate, each room was equipped with 3 beds, a desk and a t.v. The rooms were always clean with new bedding and towels. The maids were very respectful when it can to delaying the room being cleaned if it had been a late night. The pools have shallow areas almost like rivers that make it great for small children and lifeguards are on duty at the pools and at the beach. Will return again in the near future. As people have said this is a hidden gem with lots to see. Things are getting better for this country as tourist police are not required now for all trips. The only negative thing to be said is the 2 hour trip from the airport to the resort. They give you snacks and drinks but is a long trip after airport waits and a 4.5 hour flight.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the towers as they are higher and have full balconies. If you like hot saunas try bo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank amillionvacations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonsonate
Hotel Alicante Montana
#11 of 49 in San Salvador
Atami Escape Resort
Atami Escape Resort
#1 of 2 in Tamanique

Been to Royal Decameron Salinitas? Share your experiences!