“Loved it!”

Royal Decameron Salinitas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sonsonate
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We went to celebrate our anniversary and had a great time! The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The second property beach-house is also great. The choice of a la carte restaurants was great so you could get have some variety each day. We are hopeful to return again soon.

Room Tip: Rooms further from the center of the resort will be quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Rob A
Write a ReviewReviews (2,119)

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We went to Decameron for a weekend and what a surprise. Our kids are 12 years old and 8 years old. First, the hotel is really spread out so to walk anywhere, it seems like you must walk miles to get anywhere. Second, it looked like the many of the guests were out of a prison break movie (I´m not kidding). We did not feel safe at all. Third, we noticed there were lineups for most meals and the food was basic cafeteria food with watered down drinks. Fourth, at our arrival the main gate tried to block our entry and charge us $80 U.S. extra for being there 90 minutes early. Fifth, starting early every morning, a large majority of the guests were heavily intoxicated and somewhat bothersome with aggressive stares. (back to Prison Break again). Finally, if you have a decent and honorable family and want a relaxing safe vacation, Decameron is not for you. If you just got out of jail, or are an inspiring low level gang member, I´ve got just the spot for you, Decameron Salinitas El Salvador!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank gabriela J
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This resort was beautiful in terms of the grounds, beach, and pool areas. The pools were the best feature, with many places to sit and relax, different pools to choose from, and close to all restaurants. Many activities for children and adults, as well as quiet locations away from the activities. Make sure you visit each pool area. Restaurants were excellent, but food needs to be improved. Hard to find basic staples on a daily basis (e.g., pasta only served on certain days of the week). Much of the food is spanish and cultural, which is hard to feed picky eaters. More variety would be good. Booked restaurants were excellent. Fun activities in the evenings for kids (e.g., casino night) and the staff was all very friendly, although very few spoke ANY English. This turned out to be quite fun for our children though as they had to learn some spanish. Rooms were neat and clean and quite big. Book a room in buildings 1 or 2 if you want wi-fi though, its not available in other buildings. Weather was absolutely spectacular in March - make sure you apply lots of sunscreen repeatedly, even for those who do not usually burn. Day trip to the natural cascades and zip lining is highly recommended. Zip lining excellent for first timers or young children because the lines start very easy. The only draw back to this resort is the long bus ride from the airport, although it was great scenary. Would highly recommend this place and El Salvador felt very safe and comfortable.

Room Tip: Choose a room in building 1 or 2 for free wi-fi in your rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
16  Thank drmbell
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I went to this resort July 2012 and had a very disappointing experience, they lost my luggage. At only 30 of arrival my whole stay there was terminated! I go there wanting to get my room key the guys is asking everybody to leave their luggage with them and they gave out tickets. Apparently giving out tickets was useless! Bc after 30 min I went back to where I had left my luggage and gave them my ticket, I didn't see my bag I was hoping them to have an explanation of where it was at but no! It was lost! Everything was in there! So they tells me we will look for it go and enjoy ur evening and we'll find it soon! Umm hello!! I had just lost everything and I was in regular clothes how was I gonna enjoy the beach w/o a bathing suit!!! To make the story short they never found it, only got $250 out of them and there was definitely more then $250 worth in the bag. So my husband and I left the resort unsatisfied :/

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank Rox758
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Hotel rooms are big, we had a view to the ocean and were on the second floor away from the noise. beds are OK...they do the job i guess. FOOD!!! man this wast the worst!!!! i think HomeTown Buffet is better!!! enough said...Pools are beautiful big! beach....not so good...i expected more!!! i guess once you go to cancun you will always expect more...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank j0rge23
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is not your usual 5 star carribean resort; would be more like a 3+ resort. Check-in and check-out went smoothly. Food was OK, although it gets to taste all the same after 5 days. Room was on ground floor and well cleaned every day. Free bikes but they are very old. The pools at extreme end of site are just as big and with lots less people. Drinks were watered down. I personally loved the inside sea water pool (had never seen one like that before). It is very big and very few people go. I walked approximately 10-15 minutes farther on the beach as the waves were better there. Felt good to hear less english and more spanish. Definately do the volcano tour, well worth it. Also did doom buggy and waterfall tour. Worth it but you can throw away your clothes afterwards 'cause you will be dirty believe you me. The tour guides definately go out of their way to make your trip memorable. Ours even purchased stamps for us during the week on his time off work and did a special trip to bring them to us before we took the bus to the airport. All in all this trip was worry-free and well-worth the inexpensive price for a great getaway from work whirlwind.

Room Tip: Rooms at either end are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank Travel69alot
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Ok. I stayed here on business as it was close to where I needed to go. The noise was utterly atrocious every night I stayed here (4). Lots of loud idiots with microphones roaring on the drunken masses. The drinks are cheap and rubbish. The food is utterly rubbish. Its difficult to differentiate between the food served at the booked restaurants (excitement) and the buffet. I would be raging if I came here on holiday. The rooms are clean but super average.

All that said it was relatively cheap so you get what you pay for. Very isolated though and its labourious to get offsite, back on and to deal with the site security guards.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank Businesstravellerr8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonsonate
HOTEL JUAYUA
#9 of 13 in Concepcion de Ataco
Santa Leticia
Santa Leticia
#1 of 3 in Apaneca

Been to Royal Decameron Salinitas? Share your experiences!