“Fantastic”

Cuscatlan Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Sonsonate
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Myself and a friend recently traveled to El Salvador for vacation, fearing we'd be trapped at the resort all week, I promptly took to the internet to find day tours to take, and we are so glad we found Claudia at Cuscatlan Tours. The first tour was to a Coffee Plantation and shopping in the small towns. Our guide Jorge was very knowledgeable and entertaining. We had a great day and saw some beautiful views along the way. If you do this tour bring a jacket it gets cold in the mountains. The second tour we did was to Volcanoes National Park and the Santa Teresa Hot Springs, both were just incredible. Our guide on this tour was Julio and he also was knowledgeable and friendly. Both guides spoke excellant English, thankfully because our Spanish is poor. We had lunch on both tours and the choices were great. I would highly recommend Cuscatlan to anyone traveling to El Salvador. Get out of the resort and see the country. We must not forget our driver Manuel, he didn't speak any English, but his driving was good and he's not bad to look at.

3  Thank Christie C

Reviewed February 14, 2013

My family travelled to El Salvador in January. Prior to going I had contacted Claudia and she helped us to pre-arrange 3 completely customized tours. She was always so friendly, quick to respond and accomodating! Once we arrived in El Salvador to finalize a few details and Mondau morning at 8 am sharp Julio(Tour Guide) & Guillermo(Driver) were at the gates waiting for us. I can only tell you that the first day was just the begining of what turned out to be 3 of the most amzing days in our lives! Full of adventure, experiences and great food! (Seafood in Acajutla to die for!) Julio is so edjucated on every aspect of his country and it's people, you could ask him about anything and he knew the answer! Guillermo always curteous, and smiling. Julio is completley fluent in English so it makes things so much easier.
Cuscatlan Tours totally customized each and everyone of our tours so that we got to see and experience just the way we wanted, with a few special extras along the way! Julio and Guillermo on there own accord even surprised my wife at lunch on the day of her 40th birthday! How thoughtful is that! We got to swim in a jungle waterfal, bath in natural hot springs, zipline high above a coffee plantation, dune buggie in the mountains and visit a number of amazing small towns and villages!! I can't say enough about how truly great at their jobs each and everyone one of them are. We incountered the large groups from the tours organized at the resort a number of times and I can assure you, they were not having anywhere near the experience or fun we were! (Don't listen to them at the resort telling you it's not safe to go off the resort with anyone else but them. It's complete nonsense, they just want the monopoly, we never felt unsafe ever!!!)
If you are going to El Salvador and are fortunate enough to hear about Cuscatlan Tours, Do yourself and see this amazing country with some of the most incredible people I have ever met!!! Truly you will be so impressed and they will help to make your holiday even more special then it's already going to be! In fact I now consider Julio, Guillermo and Claudia friends, and me and my family cannot wait to see them alll just as soon as we possibly can.!
Graham, Nicole & Ethan Muskoka Ontario

3  Thank Graham T
Reviewed February 2, 2013

If you are going to El Salvador make sure you contact Claudia at Cuscatlan Tours before you go, they will make your trip special.

I had read some reviews on Cuscalan tours before we went to El Salvador and contacted Claudia, I let her know what we wanted to see and do and she created 3 day trips for us. Trip #1 – volcano National Park, Coatepeque Lake and Santa Teresa hot Springs. Trip #2 – Dune Buggie Adventure, Juayua Cascades. Trip #3 – Culture & crafts and shopping mall. She made recommendations on what days to go that would not be busy with the bus tours, and it was greatly appreciated, we had the cascades and dune buggies to ourselves and very few people at the hot springs. We had a driver and guide, so the guide was not distracted with having to drive, we got all his attention. Our driver was Manuel and our guide Julio, they were both great. Julio our guide spoke perfect English as he is an English teacher in El Salvador and teaches grammer. I sure hope he is not analyzing my grammer as he reads this review, lol . There was not one question he could not answer for us. He definatley made our trip to El Salvador a memorable one.

Trip #1 – Los Volcano National Park, Coatepeque Lake and Santa Teresa hot Springs. We first went to the Los Volcanoes National Park, along the way, we stopped so Julio could show us Sugar Cane and we could taste it, we could also take pictures of the Volcanoes from here, nice touch. The National Park was a nice walk through the woods with quite the views of the Izalco and Santa Ana Volcanoes as well as Coatepeque Lake, quite the view, don’t miss it. We left there and drove along a very scenic road along the lake to the Hot Springs. As you drive into the property, we stopped so we could see the earth bubbling as there are hot springs all through the property. Once we got to the hot springs, there was different pools to swim in with different temperatures. The owner has done a nice job at making this property beautiful. We stopped for lunch at Lover’s Steak house, highly recommend it. If you go, and you like shrimp, order the grilled Shrimp, you won’t regret it.

Trip #2 – Dune Buggie Adventure & Juayua Cascades – We took the dune buggies through some villages in Apaneca and along some breath taking scenery, always time to take pictures. We came across some people picking coffee, and Julio took pictures for us and explained what they were doing. Great trip but expect to get dirty, it is very dusty. Juayua Cascades is a beautiful waterfall you can swim in. We had the place to ourselves, it was wonderful.

Trip #3 Culture & Crafts and shopping – We visited 3 different towns, Nahuizalco, Juayua and Ataco and got to walk through the markets and crafts shops. The market was quite interesting as they have fruits and vegetables I never seen before. The craft shops made for great shopping. We visited the churches in the towns, got to see them weave material and had the opportunity to buy some. In the afternoon we went to a small mall shopping, found shoes for a good deal but electronics were more expensive than home.

If you want a more personalize Excursion, book with these guys, you won’t regret it.

If you are staying at the Decameron, you will need to sign out at the front gate and meet them there. No money up front, cash the day of your excursion. I was worried about safety before we went but Julio made us feel safe and comfortable.

Highly recommend Cuscatlan Tours. http://cuscatlantours.wix.com/cuscatlan-tours#!__en-home

7  Thank CatG555
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We did two combo excursions with Cuscatlan Tours and they were Fabulous. Our guide was Julio and was very informative and passionate of his tour. We had the Volcanos Tour along with Coatepeque Lake. We visited the cloud forest on Cerro Verde Volcano. Coatepeque Lake is just beautiful, one of the nicest lakes in the world. We left Coatepeque Lake to have lunch at Steak Lovers Restaurant in Santa Ana. Great Lunch it was, everything we had was awesome. Then we left the restaurant for a visit of Santa Ana's square. We finished our excursion with the thermal baths.
We had another awesome excursion, The Coffee Route. Again with Julio, and started out by having popusa, the Salvadorian traditional dish. We visited three colonial towns and had lunch in Acata at a nice restaurant Piccolo Giardino, that had great cuisine by a Swiss Italian Chef. We went on to Finca El Carmen for our Coffee tour. Wow even participate in turning the coffee grains. Santiago was very explicative and everything was traduced by Julio or guide. We had coffee tasting after. All were very happy with the tour of El Carmen Estate. We finished our visit at a souvenir shop. We were impressed with the tour. Julio will take wonderful pictures if you ask him.
We were impressed with the excursions we did, and would recommend very highly Cuscatlan Tours for your Excursion in El Salvador.

2  Thank RichardQ_11
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I am host and producer on Canada's most popular radio Travel Show, so when I took my family for a week's vacation to the all-inclusive Decameron Resort on the Pacific coast, I researched the best local guides to explore the region as background for a future show. Cuscatlan Tours did not disappoint! Claudia was helpful, friendly and efficient in helping me organize the three day trips before we arrived. Each of the trips were personalized to our family group of five, with ages ranging from 17 to 50's. Each was a great success. Julio and Jorge were expert and entertaining guides who added much to the wonderful sights and experiences of each tour. We had a great balance across the three days and i would highly recommend both Cuscatlan and the tours themselves.
Here are the details of the three trips we enjoyed:
Daytrip 1
Daytrip 3
ZAPOTITAN ARCHEOLOGICAL VALLEY AND THE ROUTE OF FLOWERS
- Visit to Joya de Ceren and San Andres archeological sites
- Free time for lunch in Santa Ana
- Visit to Juayua, Salcoatitan and Nahuizalco - scenic towns on the Route of Flowers

6  Thank RobinsonTravelShow