“Wonderful Place to Eat!!”

The Tourist Trap Shoppe Cafe Guest House
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: The Tourist Trap is situated in a beautiful historic home that sits on the Musquodoboit Harbour. With only a 30 minute drive from Halifax you are sure to enjoy the many attractions The Marine drive has to offer; Martinique beach (5 km of sand and ocean), Musquodoboit trail way, Fishermen's Life Museum and Clam Harbour Beach to mention a few. Our Guest house offers three comfortable rooms. All with 100% cotton sheets, and air conditioning. The rooms share a four piece bathroom and a common room offering complementary coffee, microwave, fridge, and TV, DVD player. For more information click on the room links.
Reviewed June 30, 2012

On our way to East Jeddore for a two week stay, stopped in for breakfast on our first morning! A awesome surprise, fishcakes on the menu! Most excellent change to the normal breakfast, or should I say, addition too!
Dropped in a couple of other times for coffee but couldn't get out without having a cinnamon bun too.
Staff and owner were great people to chat with and to find out about the area.
Keep up the great work, looking forward to our next visit!

1  Thank Fudgeeo

Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed here for one night on my way to Halifax. I had booked ahead and found I was the only one staying overnight. The room I had was a good size, clean and decorated in a shabby chic way (charming). The bathroom is not private and there is a 'living room' with a tv, small fridge, and coffee maker. It was small but cozy and comfy. Breakfast is included with the price of the room and you get to choose from any item from the menu. My choice was the French toast maked from homemade bread. It was two large slices of a savory bread, which I thought was unusual for a sweet item. It was ok and a very plain presentation, no garnish. Would I stay here again? Maybe. The cafe I don't think I can really comment on other than the breakfast. The little shoppe that is incorporated is cute and has some really nice things in it.

1  Thank cobalt753
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We stumbled upon this cafe by chance as unfortunately ( or fortunately for us) the signs and mileage pointing to this cafe are somehow incorrect. We thought that we have missed it so were pleasantly surprised to find it and IT WAS WORTH IT!. The cafe is small but cozy and quaint, the service was excellent. The cakes freshly baked on the day (soooo delicious), tasty coffee and a friendly smile.. what else can you ask for? We loved it and will certainly return and try their dinners!!!!! That's a trap....

Reviewed December 29, 2011

We have stopped here a few times on a weekend drive. Nice folks that run it and very good home cooked food. They pay attention to ingredients.

1  Thank HalifaxTravelin
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I eat here at least twice a month, maybe more! The cafe is funky quaint with wide planked flooring, mismatched tables/chairs, and artwork hanging on the walls from local artisans.
It has a warm homey feel and that is largely due to Holly and staff.
Most of the clientel are repeat customers so you know there is a reason.... the food.
Fishcakes are amazing and are featured in several of the menu choices, The Fisherman's Breakfast being one selection that is a favorite in our group. I like to try something different everytime but lately I've become addicted to the spinach salad with dates, goat cheese, almonds and a sesame seed vinegrette.
Everything here is homemade, locally sourced, and leans toward a healthier cooked
version.
A lot of people drop in for coffee (Fair Trade) and a biscuit or cinnamon roll or a piece of amazing chocolate cake or.....
Holly also puts on special dinners with a "Moon" or seasonal theme..such as "Harvest Moon" or "Hunters Moon". These dinners have 2 seatings and a set menu which always includes a vegetarian option. A perfect night out with a candlelit ambience, and amazing food.

You will return to this wonderful cafe either to work your way through the menu or enjoy old favorites, shop for beautiful artwork and crafts, or pick up treats to impress your family/friends. That's the Trap in The Tourist Trap!!