“Nothing was too much trouble”
Review of The George at Wath

The George at Wath
Ranked #1 of 1 Wath B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We arrived expecting a good experience having read the reviews. I am glad to say that The George exceeded even our high expectations. There were many strengths, cleanliness, food (very high quality and value), facilities, but the key was the concern for our enjoyment. Our needs were anticipated and the service was first rate.

The location is quiet and rural, but with easy access to the A1M and to some wonderful places (Fountains Abbey, Richmond, Middleham).

We would recommend to others without any reservations and will definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The George at Wath

Reviewed April 9, 2013

place was locked up on the day i was booking in, cleaner let me in & then locked the front door leaving my daughter & myself to find the room & carry the luggage upstairs . Kettle to make tea woudn't fit under tap to collect water. Blind broken. Next day old school friends meeting for lunch but decided to leave the hotel. asap after my one egg omelette lunch @ £ 6.30 when friends left. I was then charged for 2 nights even tho I stayed only 1.Next day went back twice to complain all locked up and left message for Caroline to 'phone 'me it was her day off. Friday popped in again not in this a.m not back yet. Eventually phoned me on my mobile while I was travelling so couldn't speak but asked to refund one nights fee as I hadn't stayed, and i could not leave earlier before my friends lunch. Also paid for the dogs £10. The dogs sat in the car for 5 hrs during the time before I left. All this after a very long drive from Kent. There were no bookings in the diary for that day & no one to asnswer the 'phone for bookings either.

Room Tip: I had a small room with tiny shower on the main road
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 197patriciad
Reviewed April 8, 2013

From the moment we were greeted by Caroline, the owner, and her husband, we were made to feel most welcome. Yorkshire hospitality at its best. The quality and presentation of the food were superior to any rated London restaurants at local prices.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Found The George on Trip Advisor & booked on basis of good reviews. From the moment we checked in to the point of checking out the next day, my husband, myself & our dog Charlie were met with warmth, excellent service & wonderful food. The bedroom and bar area were perfectly comfortable & the evening meal was absolutely delicious. I never write reviews on trip advisor but felt compelled to after such an enjoyable, relaxing stay. Our Labrador was greeted as one of the family & thoroughly enjoyed the fuss he received from staff & guests alike.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We were lucky enough to find this hotel for an overnight stop on our wat home from Edinburgh. What was not so lucky was that it was only an overnight stop and not longer. This is a real find. We had a lovely spacious room, with probably the most comfortable bed I have had in a hotel. Everything was catered for - how many hotels give you ground coffee and a cafetiere in your room!The dinner was superb and definitely not "pub grub" - we both had lemon sole which was beautiful, and the "swan profiteroles on a lake of chocolate sauce" were innoventive - quite amazing. The welcome was so warm and helpful - we had the impression that nothing was too much trouble. The George has 5 rooms, so is really homely. The pub bar was a real village pub and a wonderful atmosphere when we first encountered it after our long drive. So folks try this little gem!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank leeric
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We came across the George at Wath on our way to Ripon, and ended up having the best lunch we've ever had - no exaggeration!

We were the only people in the main bar area, but apparently a huge party had just left before us so I imagine they hadn't been able to take any more bookings for that lunchtime. The service was fantastic and the interior is lovely. We had a beef sandwich and a BLT, and some chips, and I can't compliment them enough - we couldn't believe how tasty the food was. Very reasonable as well. There's also a good selection of local ales available which was a nice accompaniment.

Every time we need to drive south we're now planning on incorporating a visit here for lunch! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Had a fantastic time. Tried to phone but no answer so e-mailed them. Prompt reply. Excellent night out. Owners and staff were great, meal very good, could recommend this pub to anyone! We had to change our plans at last minute and were so pleasantly surprised by this place.

Room Tip: Booked a room here New Years Eve in the afternoon. What a gem! The bar was great, had an excellent...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wath
The Old Deanery
#3 of 5 in Ripon
The Old Coach House
The Old Coach House
#1 of 1 in North Stainley

Been to The George at Wath? Share your experiences!