The Aviator Hotel
The Columbia Hotel(Wellingborough)
Westone Manor Hotel(Northampton)
The Hind Hotel(Wellingborough)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsart decocar parkinteresting hotelrooms are finebuffet breakfastan evening meallasagnathis lovely hotelthe british grand prixeasy parkingplenty of hot waterbusiness tripquiet locationstayed one nightvery pleasant staysunday morningtea and coffee
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed at the Aviator before and we weren't too impressed with the staff then but found that nothing has changed. They haven't heard of the word smile and the reception staff were the worst! When possible they sat at their desk and wouldn't come to the counter unless they really had to. Neither of them smiled at anyone who was speaking to them and they gave the impression that they were doing their job but no more. When we paid the bill and left she didn't even say goodbye. The waitress's were a little better but not by much. None of them said one word that they didn't have to and rarely smiled. The best one was a tiny little lady who did attempt to be pleasant.

The food is okay with the main course being good value but the starters and desserts are overpriced. I had the soup and it was a small portion. It was advertised with crusty bread but came with a roll but no butter. As it was priced at nearly £6 it seemed a bit mean. I didn't have a dessert as I'd seen several come out and they were pretty small and all priced at £5.50 which I felt was too much for what they were. However the chips were lovely and the lamb I had was excellent and huge. Breakfast was chaotic but the quality was good. The staff are obviously overwhelmed when they are busy and it shows. I also had lunch there which was okay but the staff spend a lot of time running round looking for people and I'm sure there must be a better system. My husband had one of their burgers which was cooked outside on a barbecue area. It cost £5 and was dreadful!

For the rest of the hotel, the room was okay although our extractor and radio in the bathroom didn't
work and we noticed that the secure parking wasn't secure as the barrier was never lowered in the 2 days we were there. The bathroom floor is quite slippery although a small bath mat is provided. The hair dryer is hard to find in the room and the leaflet holder looks out of place and is probably unnecessary. The lights are very bright and the pillows could be better. On the plus side there is lots of milk and a good variety of drinks.

All the staff we encountered were young (apart from 1 waitress) and maybe this is why they appear as though they don't care about their customers but it is so noticeable and spoils what could be a lovely place. They could learn a lot from staff who work for Premier Inn regarding customer service. Next time we want to stay up this way we will consider somewhere else first.

Room Tip: Upstairs at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed a night here in order to take in the Props & Pistons weekend.
Located at Sywell Aerodrome, this little gem of a place will appeal to those with an interest in Art Déco-styled architecture and aviation. There is a WW2 museum adjacent to the hotel.
The hotel was jam-packed full, but the staff were superb, especially the table staff, who worked flat out.
We'll most definitely go back!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Nice, quirky Art Deco hotel right on the aerodrome.

10 minutes from Northampton centre and easy to get to.

Rooms spacey, clean and with solid floors so any noises greatly reduced.

Comfy beds but the lights over the bed are too bright for reading.

The staff are so keen to get their jobs done that you feel like they are rushing you to get breakfast finished at world record pace and the fact that they are hoovering around you makes it less than a pleasant experience.

This also goes for the reception staff who like you to know they have a job to do rather than trying to be pleasant and make you comfortable - Don't they take Hospitality qualifications and if they do perhaps they should ask for a refund

So if I stay again I would do room only as there are a couple of places to eat breakfast just down the road.

Room Tip: If the rooms are like mine then they will be fine. as I am ultra fussy when I stay
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We spent a week-end there on September 7th and 8th with club members. Our room was ok but noisy in the front by the road so if you want a quieter one you better ask for a room at the back - although the view will not be great as it looks onto hangars and a rubbish skip...It was adequately furnished but comparing notes with others we found that generally the beds were rather hard and some toilet cisterns noisy. Some soap holders were blocked and one couple did not have enough hot water for their morning bath. On sunday morning breakfast was chaotic: many tables did not have the essential plates or cutlery - my husband had to "hunt" for several minutes for a spoon to eat his cereals...so did others ! The choice of food was limited and the quality disappointing. Staff could not cope with the amount of people there. We asked if we could have some mushrooms...a few minutes later we were given on a plate 4 whole mushrooms uncooked ! What were we supposed to do with that ? We had to ask if they could be sliced and fried which was eventually done. By the hot serving pans some scrambled egg had been spilt on the floor presenting a slippery hazard.... The night before, we had some food with friends at the bar and several of us noticed that some plates and cups not cleaned properly : one man's coffee cup had red lipstick on its edge...when he asked a member of staff for a replacement, they were not going to discard it but just pour it into another cup !! -. After some protest, a complete new cup with coffee was issued. My plate also had incrusted dried food underneath it from a previous meal...When we ordered at the bar we also noticed the thick dust on the three metal lampshades right above the cake counter and jars of cutlery. I actually drew the barman's attention to it. When it came to paying, a couple of people had issues with their bill - some bar items had been added to their bill "inadvertently"... After some discussion, it was rectified.
So, all in all, would we wish to go back or recommend this place ? We don't think so.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back, away from the road are quieter but the view is not great.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ProfTip
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stumbled upon the Aviator by chance, and immediately fell for its "art deco" charm. My room was comfortable, nicely furnished, and the bathroom, like everywhere else was spotlessly clean. Having spent only two mid-week nights there I did not encounter any aircraft shows or business functions, and was able to relax and soak up the atmosphere and will definitely return. I found the staff particularly helpful and the location just a few miles (10 minutes) outside Northampton is ideal

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business