“Bad Customer service, problems not resolved.”
Review of The Aviator Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Aviator Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sywell
Uckfield, United Kingdom
“Bad Customer service, problems not resolved.”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

No internet in the bedroom, As we needed this for business, we went down to the reception, to be told the internet only works in the rooms that are near to the reception, so we had to change rooms.
The hair dryer, did not work & became glowing red hot! We reported this as a fire hazard, they said they couldn't do anything about it that evening. The TV in the room was very small & phased from colour to black & white all evening, in this double room, there was only 1 bath towel & 1 hand towel. The hotel bedroom doors, are NOT quiet close.
On checking out, we reported our problems to the receptionist in hope of resolving this, a helpful receptionist agreed this was not satisfactory and told us someone would contacted us from their management team, we left our telephone number.
Not surprisingly no one has contact us to date.
This is such a shame, as this is a unique art deco hotel.

Room Tip: Asking for a quiet room, may leave you with no internet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank viv b
The Aviator S, Director of Sales at The Aviator Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
I am sorry to hear of your disappointment.
The free WIFI at The Aviator extends to the Restaurant, Conference rooms and Bar areas. There is no free WIFI in the bedrooms at the present time.
We are trying to resolve a number of technical issues with our current free WIFI system which includes a new installation and a new Internet provider. We hope by the end of April our free WIFI will have additional capacity and provide a significantly improved service to our customers.
The hair dryer in your room has been checked and remains serviceable. However, they do become very hot when used on the highest setting. In future Reception will suggest that residents select a lower setting to avoid the heat becoming a problem.
Since your stay I am pleased to inform you that the televisions in the bedrooms have been replaced with new flat screen models with Freeview.
The towel issue has been brought to the attention of housekeeping who admit to an unusual oversight and assure me this will not occur in future.
The Hotel bedroom doors are fitted with a leading brand of door closure and locking system used by many of the leading hotel chains in the UK. I have not been aware of a problem with this door system before, so the staff have been asked to monitor this potential issue and report back any findings.
I am very pleased you apprciate the unique style of The Aviator Hotel and I hope you appreciate that your commenta have been considered and addressed.
My staff look forward to welcoming you back to The Aviator Hotel at some time in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Stayed there many times due to work commitments, staff never seem to be in reception and it has the illusion of an Art Deco hotel on airfield that time forgot.

Bar food is nothing special and if you want to have a decent meal go down the road to the Horseshoe pub.

Ask for a room away from the main road as lorries thunder past all night otherwise!

Breakfast is so so just nothing special but morning papers is a good touch!

Last time breakfast was marred by the droning voice of Martin Shaw sitting at the table opposite me...........

Highly overpriced for what it is because there is nothing else in the area B&B wise.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main road.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank msa1701
The Aviator S, Director of Sales at The Aviator Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
The Aviator has a number of famous faces and celebrities that use the Hotel and its facilities from time to time, and we welcome them all.

Travelers are raving about these Sywell hotels

Desborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Wow what can I say the only reason it's not 5 star is because my partner was stared at her entire meal by a bunch of lecherous businessmen but the food and service is amazing!! Well worth the visit!! If a few tables and chairs go missing I apologise but they are all amazing!!

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind review, we value all comments that our customers provide.

We are pleased to hear that you appreciate and enjoy the Art Deco style.
We are very proud of our original and totally unique furniture and artifacts dating back to the 1930's, an era of style and elegance which is becoming very popular today particularly with our American guests.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.
Wigan
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Firstly, let's cover the positives: the building is in an art deco style. It's a rare thing is that and I found the design quaint and interesting.

Not sure what else good there is to say really... oh, the girl that served me in the bar was smiley and pleasant. That's about it really.

In an area that I am finding difficult to book a hotel room at short notice, I arrived at the Aviator in it's relatively empty car park and was welcomed by my name at reception even though I'd never visited before. Whilst that was polite and friendly, it soon became clear that no one else was expected to arrive after me (and it wasn't even 7pm yet). The Aviator Hotel is not competing!

My room was spartan and cold. The walls scuffed. The furnishings from the 70s. The bed seemingly from someone's back room - not for sleeping on, but perhaps storing a few boxes and old coats perhaps. The TV a 12inch CRT with a screen so curved I expected to have to feed goldfish from an opening at the top. It was clean though (the room, not the telly [although the telly wasn't dirty... oh, you know what I mean]).

The bar area was comfortable enough (even if some of the furniture cushions are torn), but the food choice was very disappointing. And very expensive. And, when it arrived, mine proved to be all this and less. I'd booked for 2 nights and was now planning to take my next evening's meal elsewhere.

I'll not be going back to the Aviator Hotel... I would suggest that smiley pleasant girl behind the bar gets a better job somewhere else, somewhere she might be a bit more busy with customers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bolton66
The Aviator S, Director of Sales at The Aviator Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us back in December.

Since your visit all of our Hotel Bedrooms have been repainted and our televisions have been replaced with 22 inch flat screens with Freeview.
Our Bar area furniture displays original Art Deco pieces which have seen some wear over the years, but those that required some refurbishment have now been recovered. We were reluctant to do this initially as the original cloths are no longer available, but have since found something suitable to bring our facilties back to our typical Art Deco standard.

All food produced in our Bar and Restaurant is fresh and locally sourced, and we believe that it is better to have a small menu of good quality, than a large menu which would be detrimental to the quality. We do offer daily specials to help vary the choice for our customers and regular residents.

We hope to be able to welcome you back at sometime in future.
Wellingborough
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is a modern hotel facility tacked onto a fantastic classic Art Deco airport building. So do not expect the rooms to be that special, though agreeable and functional they are. I booked rooms twice for a week to accommodate overseas clients and it was a satisfactory experience for them. The bar and dinning areas are totally unique with good original features and furnishings. I have dinned here too and was not disappointed but we were on our own in the dinning room and did feel a bit of a spare part. I will book again in the future without question.

Room Tip: I always ask for the larger room. I did book the art-deco room in part of the old building. That w...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I've often been in this hotel while attending events at the airfield but have never stayed until the other night. The hotel is a fine example of Art Deco style with a pure focus on aviation. It's great to look at and you can feel the history. The rooms are functional if a little lacking in bells & whistles but the bed was fine and everything worked. The TV stations were limited and, as usual for Northamptonshire, mobile phone reception is atrocious. The WiFi is ok if you manage to get it in the bar but it didn't reach my room. However, the staff were very good, the bar excellent and the food superb. I really like it and it's fine for business apart from the lack of communications needed for today. It's not luxurious (at least my room wasn't) but it's fine and the food & style makes up for the other little bits. I'll be staying for 5 nights at an event next summer so I'll see how I cope without the mobile & WiFi then!

Room Tip: Use the restaurant, it's worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your kind review, we value all comments that our guests provide.
Since you visit our Hotel Rooms have been repainted and the televisions have been replaced with 22 inch flat screens with Freeview channels.
With regards to the Wifi we are currently working on improving this faciltiy and hope to have this completed soon.

We hope that when you stay with us in the summer you will feel the benefits of our recent improvements.
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is a unique and interesting hotel and resturant. Anyone who has an interest in art deco period and aircraft would really appreciate this lovely hotel. The reception and resturant are one side of the car park and rooms are the other, which is really nice seeing it all in the dark, with it's neon lights that take you to a long ago era. The room was in the style, the tv let it down as it was an old lumpy portable that didn't work very well at that. The room was comfortable and clean, bathroom spotless. The food we had, a bar snack and a cooked breakfast the following morning was of a good standard. My biggest complaint would be the staff, I don't think that serving someone at a bar and carrying on your private conversation is very good manners or good customer service. I had noticed when leaving the bar on the evening, serviettes all over the floor and was very surprised to still see them on the floor at breakfast. While pleasant the young man serving breakfast brought our cooked breakfast while we eating our cereals and without a word waited for us to lift our bowls to make room. Lovely unique experience, but needs staff training, perhaps this was why it was quiet.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
The Aviator S, Director of Sales at The Aviator Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your taking the time to write a review following your stay with us.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Art Deco detailing and were happy with our comfortable accommodation facilties and food during your stay.
With regards to your other comments we thank you for your constructive criticism, and can assure you that we are constantly striving to improve our standards of customer care.
We hope that on your next visit you will notice these improvements.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sywell
Ibis Wellingborough
The Poplars Hotel
The Poplars Hotel
#1 of 29 in Northampton
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa

Been to The Aviator Hotel? Share your experiences!