“Loved the location and really hospitable”
Review of Chimps' Nest

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kibale National Park
Chimps' Nest
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed there for 2 nights during our stay in Uganda whilst tracking chimps at Kibale Forest.
At first, my friend and I (were given Room 1 and my sister and her husband were given Room 2). Note: Room 1 does not have an outdoor bathroom! So when I found out the perks of my sisters room, I asked the lady at reception kindly to possibly change to another with an outdoor br. They were more than happy to move us over to room closest to the reception.
Each room has it's own balcony and most of the times you can see the weaver birds in trees nearby.
As everything there is run on solar power, make sure you conserve as much as you can and bring plenty of insect repellant as there are many bugs around that area.
It is also wise to tuck in mosquito nets under your mattress here as there are cracks in the floor boards!
Loved the food and you definitely need to try their Creme Brulee!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Justine G

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed at Chimp's Nest for 2 nights and had a great time. The cabins are basic but comfortable, no electricity, so do not forget your flashlights. It is a black dark walk at sunset from the main building to your cabin. The staff is extremily friendly and does everything to make you feel at home. The location is absolutely unique, in the midst of the forest. Do not be surprized to see monkeys at your cabin. It is also the ideal spot for a chimpansee trekking in the close-by Kibale National Forest, or for a swamp walk around the lodge, habitat to 7 types of primates. If you are into bird-watching, this is the place to be. Don't forget your telezoom. A place we will remember for a long time for its unqie location and for the very friendly staff.

Gerrit

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank GerritL
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Great location
Staff very helpful, and hospitabl, We have slept in the lodge and the tree house
the Lodge was really good
it has a hot shower, yust let them know what time you wish to shower so they can make a fire
theTree house was nice for a night, You will sleep in the jungle ,which is an graet experience ,
. But its primitive
The food in the restaurant is really good
And the manager is an excellent host

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JenYvdV
Reviewed July 1, 2011

We stayed in one of the renovated cottages and loved our time at Chimp's nest. The setting is magical, the food was excellent, the water was hot and ample, and the staff were great. A local singing group performed one night, and it was nice to see that the lodge supported the community in this way. Just a wonderful, lowkey, comfortable place to stay while exploring Kibale..

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Bozotraveller
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Maybe there are other establishments like this but I've never encountered them. Cabins and treehouses built on the edge of a forest. Good restaurant; friendly, helpful staff. Truly unique experience. You really do feel like you're sleeping in the middle of an African forest. The cacophony of insect and creature sounds at night is amazing. A little out of the way but well worth it.

Room Tip: Sleep in a treehouse for 1 night at least.
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank DuaneKelly
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Originally we planned to put our tent at the Chimp's Nest campsite. However we found the campsite quite exposed (hardly any shade) and the setting (in the fields) a bit unattractive. They are doing a good job to regenerate trees in these fields, but it will take some time still for the trees to grow.
Fortunately we also checked out the cottages that are very attractive and we decided to stay in one of these for two nights. Some of the cottages (and especially the tree houses) are at a fair walking distance from the main building/restaurant. No problem for us, because it also means a very quiet stay, but something to take into account if you are less fit.
The cottages are quietly located and positioned very far from each other with a lot of privacy. They are not within the forest but close to the edge of the forest on which there is a very nice view. The tree-houses are really within magnificent forest. The beds are good and long (!) and the cottages are nicely decorated. They offer good value for the rate.
The staff was very helpfull and the food in the restaurant was really good. One small improvement could be made w.r.t. the begging dogs and cats. Not everyone will appreciate this.

NB. We can recommend a guided community walking tour through the Bigodi swamps, it's really close to Chimp's Nest and makes up for a very nice half-day tour with a lot of birds and monkeys. This initiative is a real community based activity and worth your support.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Frank_Astrid
Reviewed January 29, 2011

I had to change my travel plans, which caused me to only need the first of my 3 night reservation. After explaining this to the staff at check in, I was told that I could only stay that first night if I paid for all 3 nights. The staff told me that, while it had a 24-hour cancellation policy, I was already within the 24 hours of the start of my 3-day stay and therefore couldn't cancel even the 3rd night (48+ from then). To avoid conflict and to compromise, I offered to pay for 2 nights (even though I'd only be there 1 night), noting that, with any luck, they could rent my room for the 2nd night and thereby collect twice. I also indicated that I was 48+ hours out from the 3rd night, so the hotel wouldn't have a claim for this night in any event. The manager was called by phone by the front desk staff, and he was so loud and emotional that his screaming voice could be heard from the other end of the reception area. The manager refused my offer, and reiterated that I must pay all 3 nights to stay just the 1 night. I declined, and left.

The manager then contacted my tour company, demanding payment for all 3 nights, forgetting to mention that he rejected my offer to pay for 2 nights (so his loss was at most 1 night, which was 48+ hours away). At this time, Chimps Nest published for the first time a complicated and restrictive cancellation policy (without claiming it was referenced at the time of booking) that essentially makes any and all changes impossible. Again, this policy was not distributed upon booking. The unfortunate Uganda tour company then had to deal with the manager, who continued to threaten to report the tour company to the local tourist officials if full payment for 3 nights was not made.

I spend 75+ days a year in hotels, about half in North America and 1/2 elsewhere. This is the most restrictive and unreasonable cancellation experience I've had. This experience, plus the responses the manager has made to another negative TripAdvisor report, suggest that this staff believes there is only one right answer to any question--their answer.

I didn't see a room so I have no opinion. The reception area seemed quaint and clean and peaceful. The drive from Fort Portal is a painful 75 minutes.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Wanderlust011
MynameisnotMuzungu, Owner at Chimps' Nest, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2011

First of all I would like to thank this reviewer for giving me the opportunity to explain more about our cancellation policies. We have these cancellation policies to protect ourselves as a business against certain tour operators and guests that think they can do anything they want, even if others have to suffer for it. These cancellation policies are no different from other cancellation policies of other lodges in Uganda, we actually used them to make our own. In the past three years we never needed to use these rules as we always try to find a reasonable solution for both parties as many of our guests and tour companies have experienced.
This case however forced us to be strict. The reviewer booked a room for three nights in the high season and on arrival simply said he was only going to stay one night. This was not due to sickness, car trouble etc. but because he wanted to change his itinerary. We are not bad people and if a company or guest has a good reason for cancelling or changing his booking we make no problem of it. Normally we ask for payments upfront so that, in case of last minute cancellations we have a stronger negotiating position. We accepted the tour operator to pay on arrival, because in most cases tour operators in Uganda are trustworthy. Unfortunately it turned out that this tour operator and his client were not.
Our only mistake was that the reviewer was informed wrongly by our new manager who was not well aware of our policies yet. He should have called someone who knew, before answering questions of which he didn't know the answers. On the other hand the tour operator this reviewer was travelling with, could and should have been aware of our policies that have been on our website since the opening of our lodge three years ago. We have decided not to do business with this tour operator any more to protect our business and our good name.
We invite customers to go to our website and read our terms. I advise travellers that want to be flexible during their trip to Uganda regarding their itinerary, to bring a tent and look for accommodation on arrival.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kibale National Park
0 mi away
Kibale Safari Lodge
Kibale Safari Lodge
#7 of 9 in Kibale National Park

Been to Chimps' Nest? Share your experiences!