“Poor customer service”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurston
Godmanchester, United Kingdom
“Poor customer service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I haven't ever felt it necessary to leave a bad review like this before but I feel so let down by The Grange Hotel's customer service that I am compelled to.

I had booked and paid for a spa visit for myself and my sister to celebrate her 18th birthday. We booked the visit around a month in advance and had call backs to confirm the arrangement around this time too. At this point the dealings I had on the phone were very positive. However, when we turned up at the arranged time we were told the lady who was to be carrying out our treatments was off sick and she was the only one employed for the spa treatments.

Understandably I wasn't happy and initially there was barely an apology despite the fact I'd made an hour journey to the venue. They said the reason they hadn't called was because they did not have my number - this was despite the fact I had had calls from them a month prior and you would think they would keep a record if they only have one member of staff able to carry out treatments, as of course I understand illness occurs.

After I expressed my dissatisfaction at this we were offered lunch and the option to reschedule. We accepted this, though of course for about a month we had been looking forward to the treatments so it was a poor substitute.

We did reschedule and the next time they could fit us in was around a month later. Unfortunately the morning we were due to attend my sister was violently sick and therefore unable to attend. I called straightaway with my apologies in not being able to attend and the man on the phone advised that generally they apply a 24 hours cancellation policy but as I explained the only reason we had rescheduled was due to the error on their part he said it would be fine and that he'd ask someone to call back to reschedule.

About an hour or so later I was called by the same man who said that they couldn't honour it as basically policy is policy. I expressed my upset explaining once again I had felt extremely let down that we had had to reschedule and if we had not had to this issue would never have presented itself.

The man once again went away and came back with the answer no, come today or my paid treatments are lost. I politely asked to speak to management, the director came on the phone and I felt he was deeply patronising as he felt the need to keep quoting the policy at me which I understood but felt that we should be offered discretion given the error they had made previously.

We were unable to move forward from him quoting the policy at me so I ended the conversation very upset and disappointed and ultimately having been told the money I had spent on treatments would no longer be honoured leaving my sister without an already delayed 18th birthday present.

Very disappointed and wouldn't book again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sam E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
notts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

we booked this hotel at short notice.we usually research hotels first !..we got there late sat 13th april.the grange is a period country house in need of some TLC .the room they gave us was tired.the window didn`t close properly.the shower door was a task to open then i sat on the bed and it sqeaked ! .the spring unit had totally collapsed on the mattress.the room was totally unsuitable.the receptionist was lovely and very helpfull.she offered us an alternative room more expensive but at a reduced price.the room was lovely it was a log cabin.the only problem we had with that was the mobile reception was very poor and the skype reception was non existant.

Room Tip: don`t accept room two .it is terrible.the best rooms are the log cabins but they are expensive
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mandy a
Svärta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I returned to the Grange for our fourth visit to this charming country house hotel and we were not disappointed. The hotel retains the same charm and seclusion as it did when we chose it for our wedding reception 35 years ago.

We made an earlier return visit some 15 years ago and this latest one only proved that standards are being carefully maintained. The double-aspect room was delightful and very well appointed, with a view over the gardens to the rear. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the breakfast was excellent.

Being secluded and peaceful the hotel can be a little tricky to find, even if (like us) this was not a first visit. We had to ring for directions, having come within 100 metres of the entrance to the driveway approaching the Grange, the map being a little hard to interpret.

However the Grange remains a splendid venue for a quiet, romantic weekend and we hope to celebrate further anniversaries there in future years.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1, a large corner room at the back of the hotel, which was delightful
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rouxbarb
essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Its such a shame that we went here at Easter, i thought there would be a bit of a theme for easter in the hotel, the odd creme egg on the bar or fake chic, but nothing, no ambience. On sat night there was hardly anyone in the restaurant, the receptionist/bar person said that they had all gone into town!!. I cannot fault the food it was really nice but the portion size was very small, i counted 10 chips, a smudged pea ( pea puree) and small piece of fish. my sweet i managed in 4 tea spoons. I very rarely can manage a 3 course meal but here if i didnt i was still hungry! im a small person by the way!! But he breakfast was to die for!! Sunday everywhere was closed, not even a sunday lunch on the menue in the hotel, only had choice of one of the 2 menues on sunday! nothing going on in the hotel, very quiet, no chance of any spa treatments as both therapists were off at the same time. Our log cabin looked lovely from the outside, but just like a chalet inside, no sign of any wood inside the log cabin, i tried to open the blinds and they fell off the window, my husband had to fix them. It was comfortable enough once we had it up to temp with the heaters. The wet room was a nice size, big enough for 2 but the shower head size was just enough for one. The staff were very nice. I dont think i will be comming here again, the first time was 3 years ago for valentines, it seamed a lot better then, hence the second visit. Also just to mention i had ordered an extra portion of seasonal vegetables for £3.00 all i got was a dish of carrots, felt it was a bit of a joke.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lubina
Essex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Well you pull up to the hotel and it's very welcoming you walk in and an Open Fire greets you very welcoming!

Check in went well, around 3pm then up to my room and settled in, nice and warm and all set after a 7 hour day on the road.

After that great experience it all went rapidly down hill! As I was here for work it is imperative that I had an internet connection, Well there was one router at reception and you were lucky if you got it in your room and with little or no phone coverage tethering the phone was not an option!

Then I went out for a few hours to make some business calls, only to come back and find the boiler had broken down. The staff quickly moved me to another room in the annexe
(2 Rooms on the roof) up a very rusty metal staircase with little or no salt on it ( It was 2 degrees outside) Well the room was ... "weathered" and it was freezing in there a Heater had been put in the room that worked for 10 mins ata time before the thermostat cut out, then came on again 20 mins later, By this time i was fed up of complaining there was no Owner or General manager present on site (which in my opinion under the circumstances there should have been)

There was no extra help drafted in to help the "two" members of staff that were on duty, they had to deal with a boiler breakdown, upset customers, staff the restaurant, man the bar, man the reception and get the meeting rooms ready for the following day etc. -Thank god the Chef was there!! I would have walked out in discust, but decided to stay as the "two" members of staff coped perfectly and full marks to them!

To sum it up ... a catalogue of disasters for my first and probably last visit here

Room Tip: "Don't have a room in the Annexe"
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Essex_Man_About_Town

Travelers are raving about these Thurston hotels

Walsall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

On the day I was traveling I was running late and suffered a blown tyre. The hotel were excellent, first promising to save me dinner and then when I was running much later had a sandwich waiting for me at reception.

The room was basic, but the again I was paying a cheap b&b rate. The breakfast was one of the best I have had in a long time as was the sandwich. Shame I missed dinner.

I imagine the main income for this hotel is as a training centre, weddings and conferences.

A little bit of room improvement, especially the ancient TVs, would have seen this place getting 5 stars.

Room Tip: room 15 was a touch small and interestingly shaped but had character
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MidlandAssessEnergy
Axmouth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed 4 days over Christmas. No provision for storing clothes out of suitcases. 3rd floor Bedroom pokey with bulky TV on floor. No shelving for bathroom toiletries. Hot water tepid despite repeated requests. Moved to another room, same bulky floor TV-didn't work: not rectified. Shower head either very high or on taps if not hand held. Kettle took ages to boil. Whole place needed spending on maintenance (threadbare stair carpet) and furniture (drawers and shelves, chairs), exterior paintwork, untended garden.
Restaurant not worth AA star: uncooked rolls, served up again at breakfast as "brioche", tasteless coffee, not hot enough, help yourself with spasmodic service.
Staff were the standout full marks quality, despite the rest of it.
Will stay elsewhere in future.

Room Tip: Top floor pokey. get a flat TV which actually works
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ma51gnf
VipulGrange, Owner at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
It is always disappointing to get a bad review, when our team work so hard to look after the most important thing on their minds - guests.

This guest checked in two days before Christmas. We did move this guest to another room within 10 - 15 minutes of their checking in. We moved them from their booked room of a standard double to a junior suite, which had a separate desk and seating area, and then the bedroom area. Almost double the size of room that the guest actually booked with us. This room had a full fitted wardrobe with space for 30 - 40 jackets / dresses / coats. I.e. it had space for long and tall garments. The bedroom has plain beige luxury wool carpets.

The guest always had hot water in their room in the morning. There was no problem with the water. There were no reports of the TV not working and no calls to reception for us to deal with this. As all rooms have freeview, there is the freeview device and a television remote control. We always help guests when they report such issues.

Our restaurant has been awarded an AA 1 Rosette for both it's r very own bread rolls, to our very own ice creams. We are very proud of the food that we serve here at the Grange, and we do believe that the quality is far superior to many 2 AA Rosette awarded restaurants. We do not make our own coffee, but we do serve fresh coffee when it is served. Coffee machines do not generally deliver a boiling hot product, but a hot product that you can drink immediately.

All guests were informed that Christmas day was a Continental breakfast only. We provide this on just that day of the year because most guests will want to savour themselves for Christmas day lunch.

As stated it always very disappointing to get negative reviews. We are of course a 3 star country house hotel, and we do sometimes have limitations like any other organisation. We do not claim to be a 5 star hotel, but we always strive for improvements and 5 star service wherever possible.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurston
The Angel Hotel
BEST WESTERN Priory Hotel
BEST WESTERN Priory Hotel
#7 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds
All Saints Hotel
All Saints Hotel
#6 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
#2 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds

Been to The Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!