“The first time I have ever felt this strongly compelled to review a hotel”

The Grange Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 6 Restaurants in Thurston
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Lying deep in the heart of Suffolk, The Grange Hotel and Restaurant charms from the moment you set eyes on it, the rustic, homely appearance of the building set amongst its own secluded garden area of open countryside providing a warm welcome. Before your meal, perhaps set foot in to the Lounge Bar, which opens on to the terrace and Garden, and sample the selection of fine beers whilst five chefs prepare food from the freshest ingredients for the Garden Restaurant and the Adam Room, its more formal counterpart. A la carte dining on fine British cuisine and an extensive wine list are offered, as well as grand, traditional roast lunches on Sundays.
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The first time I have ever felt this strongly compelled to write a hotel review

POOR QUALITY, POOR VALUE, AWEFUL FOOD, NO ATMOSPHERE

I appreciate opinions and tastes are subjective however, I feel I should give my evaluation for the Grange Hotel to help any potential visitors and/or the hotel (thought they might need a couple of pointers)

I base this review on experience, visiting a numerous hotels with varying standards over the last 15 years of business trips in commercial property (previous to this, 40 years being a butcher, the relevance of this will be apparent further down)

Date, Duration and Rooms Booked…31st October, for 1 night and 2 standard double rooms booked

Reason for Visit… Brief Business Trip

Why I Selected this Hotel…Proximity to Bury St Edmunds, overall look of hotel and great website, good looking restaurant in the hotel so we didn’t have to worry finding somewhere to eat after a long day.

THE REVIEW:

ROOMS: Upon arrival the standard rooms as expected. This was the best description I would give them, but none the less they met the required ‘standard’. In hindsight, I would have booked for an upgraded room so as I wasn’t in “servants quarters” as my business partner joked!

EVENING DINNER: I was expecting the food to be spot on when my wife found the hotel on the internet. We thought the food looked amazing in the pictures and sounded good too, also supported by 2 good Tripadvisor reviews. We were wrong. There was an extremely limited menu, hence why we both went for belly pork. 3 main issues

1)Quality- it was boar pork and without wanting to sound arrogant, as a butcher I know when the quality of meat is not right (smells and tastes foul). My business partner also concurred. Obviously, I’m quite shocked the chef did not know/care!

2)Quantity- It was tiny portions. After looking at the website I knew it wasn’t a ‘quantity over quality’ type dinner which was fine by me. However, a cheap cut of belly pork (sorry, boar belly pork!) that comes no bigger than a box of matches served with a swoosh of puree and potato, I liken to some taster menus I have sampled. Not a main course.

3)Value for Money- I do not think the food above represents value at £18.00, I’d rather pay more and get better and at least end up half way full without a bad taste in my mouth. We had to order additional sautéed potatoes (way undercooked) and chips at £3.00 each to accompany the morsels of food.

BREAKFAST: Ever the optimist, I hoped breakfast would be better. Wrong again. In my opinion recooked bacon (I have had this in other hotels a couple of times as well, not just this one, not that that makes it any better) and the more concerning part, the sausages neither tasted nor smelt as they should. We had a big question mark about them and neither of us ate them!

TO SUMMERIZE... it is pretentious without the quality it needs to back it up. Should, no MUST do better. A brief comment on the atmosphere also, there was none, it seemed to us the hotel was like a ghost town. It isn’t that we wanted something different than what we were expecting; we just wanted pleasant, enjoyable food and a comfortable night for a quick stopover in nice surroundings.

It makes my blood boil when people moan and groan without trying to rectify the situation first. Upon checkout we therefore noted the problems we had with our stay and were told

“I will tell the management”

Make of this what you will.

We will however will be looking for alternative accommodation and dining venue upon the next visit.

2  Thank ParkyShropshire

Reviewed December 28, 2010

Our family ate in the private dining room on Boxing Day to celebrate my mother's birthday. The owners were extremely welcoming and the waiter/waitress very helpful.
The food and wine was of a very good standard and the Chef even wrote 'Happy Birthday' on my mother's pudding plate which was a nice touch.
Children were also well catered for.

Reviewed September 26, 2010

My brother and I took my mum and the rest of the family there for Sunday roast today. She chose The Grange because she lives a couple of miles away. She's taken me to so many different restaurants for Sunday lunch around this area over the years and to be honest they have all been pretty dire! Thank goodness she finally suggested The Grange! This was quite simply the best Sunday roast I've had for ages and I've been eating them all around the country for over 50 years! Three of us had delicious roast pork with masses of crackling, 'just right' roast spuds, divine little baby carrots, green beans and a wonderful broccoli mousse. All topped off with home-made apple sauce and lashings of gravy. My son had a burger that looked fabulous (it was so big even that greedy git couldn't finish it!). However the pièce de resistance was the pudding... I chose the bread and butter pudding... OH MY GOD! Divine! I think I would drive there from London just to have another bread and butter pudding! My mum had the chocolate torte which she said was lovely and the others had the apple pie and ice cream which they also said was delish. There were six of us and the bill came to £118 including wine which I topped up to £130 which I thought was very well worth it. I'd highly recommend it and will make sure we always go there when I visit my mum in future.