“Fiji Homestay! Fantastic!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Namatakula
Danny's Village Homestay
Ranked #1 of 3 Namatakula B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 19, 2013

What a fantastic experience, Tupou & Sake welcomed us into there home & village. They are such beautiful, warm people. The food was awesome, & way to much! Thank you for the wonderful experience & we will be back next year!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Gaz220867

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our team enjoyed our time with Tupou and Sake at the homestay. We were there for one week, we stayed in two houses. The mosquito netting was great to have. All of our team had a wonderful time. We spent many hours just singing and visiting with the locals. The food was AMAZING!! I would love to return with my family. Thank you Sake and Tupou for making our time a week we will always remember.
Lolomas to everyone!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Steve S
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Oh my, where to begin.....
Upon my arrival for my 1-week stay, I was given the most warm and embracing welcome by Tupoe and her husband Sake.
They settled me into one of the three cabins. It was spacious, clean and had a double bed and 4 bunk beds.....but I had it all to myself which was fabulous. The cabin was basic as was the flush toilet and shower. Apparently May is a quiet month for tourism.
The property is right on the beach and is well shaded by trees and shrubs. They have 3 acres. Most of which is treed and/or has fruit trees, other plants that bear veggies and such.
The meals that Tupoe, her auntie Vesava, and her daughter in law Joey help prepare are always fabulous. They make the meals for when you want them--of course on consensus of all guests. You had better bring a good appetite as Tupoe always says "eat more, eat more".
The village is quite communal....meaning there is always some relative or friend showing up at the door to visit or "borrow sugar" so to say.
The day after I arrived was Mother's Day. So I said let's do what you normally do on Mother's Day. So we went to her father's home where many teens and husbands were cooking up a storm for a most delicious lunch hosted by Tupoe's dad. Tupoe tried to explain how certain people were related, after her immediate family, I pretty much gave up, as everyone in some way or another is related.
All through the village when you walked through everyone always sang out....Bula (hello) to you and some of the children would run out to see if you had goodies for them. The children never harassed you for anything. Everyone in the village was so kind.
One of the days we took the local bus into Sigatoka to buy groceries and supplies. That was a fun experience too.
Nearly every day the local young men train and play rugby on the beach in front of Danny's. there is some wicked talent in some of those young men. There are several from the village that currently play in Australia and for local and the Fijian provincial team.
The beach is a nice beach, however there is much debris on the beach as well as some broken glass, so it's not the best beach for swimming in my opinion. Also be sure to bring bug repellant. Sometimes the Mosquitos were on the rampage.
My recommendation to those who have limited time in Fiji, spend a few nights at a minimum. If you have a bit more time, a week would be sufficient to experience village life in Fiji.
As I had brought a suitcase full of school supplies, I was able to visit the village elementary school and give the school the supplies they definitely needed. The school visit is a good activity to do I found it very enjoyable.
On one day I did the Jewel of Fiji Tour. I highly recommend the tour. As of May 2013, the tour is $150 FJD each. The tour van picks you up right on the road in the village. Tupoe or Joey will help to arrange the tour for you.
The last night I was there, Tupoe's father invited me over to drink Kava for a goodbye celebration. We went over and had many cups of Kava. It was a very enjoyable and low key evening---kava make you very mellow.
I truly miss Tupoe, her auntie and Joey........they were the backbone of the Homestay. I hope to return again soon.
Note: as of May 2013, the adult rate for the Homestay I'd $100FJD per night which includes all 3 meals per day. If you want alcoholic drinks, I suggest you buy your own as Tupoe and Sake do not stock alcohol at the Homestay. They do not drink alcohol or drink Kava.

Room Tip: Any of the 3 cabins is a good choice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Georgina M
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Yet another brilliant holiday at Danny's, Tupou and Sake are our true Fijian family as we feel just so comfortable and welcomed around them.
Being our second trip to Danny's we decided to stay 6 nights (first visit was 3 nights and nowhere near long enough!) this time to really be able to relax and immerse ourselves in the beautiful culture. Our family of 4 (2 girls aged 7 and 9) stayed in the spacious Starfish Cabin again which is located right on the beach, a short walk to the toilet and shower and nice and close to the main house. As soon as we stepped out of the mini van Tupou greeted us with such warmth that we knew we were back 'home' and instantly felt like we'd never left.
This trip there were plenty of other visitors too which was a nice change, plenty of people from all around the world to share a few stories, laughs and drinks with (Hi Grace :) )
We had more amazing food, Lovo was pretty special and my youngest daughters new favourite food is gravied lamb neck (Tupou, I found some in the butcher and am making my first ever pot of it tonight for dinner!) while I still love the water fern cooked in fresh coconut cream.
My girls asked if they could spend the day at the local school, Tupou said that was fine and the memories my girls have from that are something they will carry forever. They also loved catching up with their friends in the village, again, it was like they'd never left. One of my favourite things about a village stay is seeing the children interact, language is no barrier, all you need is an imagination and a sense of adventure and before you know it not only your kids, but you yourself are in the river playing and laughing, surrounded by 20 of the happiest children you've ever seen in your life.
My husband has his diving certification so we strolled over to Mango Bay Resort one afternoon (a short walk around the cove at low tide) so he could book in for a dive and we stayed a while to have a swim in the pool.
This trip we also went to Suva on the local bus, we had never been before and Tupou came with us to show us the sights and so we could say hello to her niece Rosa who we had met last visit, we were just so appreciative of her being able to come with us, it made the day even more special.
So if you're considering going to Danny's, don't hesitate, as a family, a couple, a solo backpacker, you will have the most amazing time of your life. Sure it's not 4 or 5 star like a hotel, but you don't go to a village stay for that, you go for the cultural experience!
Thankyou again Tupou and Sake and everyone in Namatakula Village for your welcoming smiles and embraces, we do consider you our family and we can't wait to return!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tracee G
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Me and my fiance' just got back from two weeks at Danny's Homestay in the village of Namatakula, Fiji and wish we could have stayed longer. Namatakula is located on the beautiful Coral Coast. During our stay Sake and Tupou couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. The moment we arrived we were welcomed with beautiful smiles and open arms. There were family cabins with large queen beds, single beds and cots or smaller cabins for couples or single travellors. The cabin we stayed in was spacious and cool, located at one end of the Homestay. The beds were very comfortable and we were provided with mosquito nets to keep the mosquitoes out. We also had power. The separate male and female bathrooms were just a short walk down the path and the cold water was welcomed. Hot water is also available :) The food was just delicious with Tupou cooking every meal. The variety was amaxing and everything tasted wonderful. I even learnt how to make Fijian pancakes. Be warned though, likely to get fat from eating too much of the great food. And whenever I felt like it, tea or coffee was available.
Kayaking and snorkeling gear was available whenever we wanted to use it and the snorkeling sights were well worth the effort. kayaking was also lots of fun!! I went horse riding along the beach which Tupou organised for me. It was cheap and exciting.
At the Homestay we had a once in a lifetime chance to experience the beautiful Fijian way of life. Walking through the village we were greeted with wide smiles and a call of Bula!! wherever we went. The children were beautiful and generous, offering to show us around, carry our bags or run errends. They even taught me some Fijian :)
Sake can take guest on diffarent tours depending on preference and Tupou will always provide delicious food to take along. Drinking Kava in the village was also an option which I highly recommend.
Danny's Homestay is the perfect location half way between Suva and Nadi and just half an hour from Sigatoka. It was easy to catch transport from the village to anywhere we wanted to go.
We also went to church both Sunday's that we were there. The village people and pastors were very welcoming and the service excellent. Listening to the singing was an especially wonderful experience. The church is in the village just a two minute walk from the Homestay.
I highly recommend Danny's Homestay to anyone whether a solo travellor, couple or family. It is the perfect place to experience the real Fiji and can enjoy people and places you cant while staying in a resort.There is lots to do for everyone and you will never feel lonely as there is always someone who wants to spend time with you. If not Tupou, Sake, or the village kids the other guests staying there were also always lovely. I wish I could have stayed longer and am definitely going back again!! Vinaka vakalevu Sake and Tupou for the wonderful time. Soto talei!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Grace W
Reviewed January 26, 2013

From the moment we arrived at the village we were made to feel very welcome. Danny's Village Homestay is simply a great place to live and to meet new people from a completely different cultural background to ours. From the moment we booked online with fijihomestays.com we knew it was going to be an experience we would really enjoy. fijihomestays.com could not be more helpful than they were and answered every question we had and this helped us make sure this is what we wanted to do - stay in a village - We both had reservations about staying in a village but our questions were answered and once we arrived at Danny's we wondered why we were so concerned. As past reviews have mentioned the food is just one of the highlights at Danny's. Tupou's cooking is out of this world and it is very true that "More food, more food" is herd at Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tupou and Sake speak very good english and were always about to point us in the right direction. The rooms are not connected to Tupous and Sakes house so you dont really feel like you are staying in their house. The rooms are cabins strategically placed around their house not too close but not too far away. there is one toilet block with good flushing toilets and good shower facitlities again strategically placed easy walk (30 secs) from the cabins. Facilities at not 5star and at first we were a little taken back but once we saw past this and relaxed into our stay everything was fine. Location wise Danny's is located on the Coral Coast half way between Nadi and Suva and very accessiable to all the attarctions (waterfall tour, sigatoka markets, Pacific Harbour). Make sure you go with Tupou to the Sigatoka markets it was a highlight especially going with someone who has local knowledge. We used a private transfer service fijitransfers.com to get to Danny's which was a good idea because we arrived on the late afternoon flight and we would of never found Danny's because there is no sign saying Danny's. Toupo used local knowlegde to get us to our next destination. I dont think Danny's is a honeymoon destination but I can definately see families with young children would have a great time here as there are kids everywhere and they seem to be playing all the time. Fiji is such a great place to visit and if your idea of a holiday is to meet people, interact with people and try something different then Danny's is a great place to stay at.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KilcoyTraveller
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I just returned from a week at Danny's homestay, and was definitely the best week of my life. This is a must do for everyone! I'm a solo female traveller , and felt so comfortable and welcomed from the moment i got off the bus at Namatakula, the kids even insisted on carrying my suitcase to my cabin. The cabins are huge, despite being by myself my cabin had 3 sets of bunk beds all with mosquito nets, a dining table, bed side drawer, and plenty of room. I slept in a comfortable king size bed with fresh clean linen. Sake and Tupou do everything they can to maximise your experience. Tupou's cooking is incredible, delicious and she will cater for any dietary request including vegan and vegetarians. Meals are eaten with the family and it is lovely to be a part of a traditional village and experience first hand the customs. I looked forward to every meal!! The family and the entire village are so warm and friendly, and there is always someone who wants to have a chat, or kids to play with. I spent most days and nights hanging out with the children, swimming, singing by the bonfire at night. You can even join them for a game of volleyball or rugby if you wish. This is a perfect place for anyone, families with small children, couples, solo travellers (which I found perfect as I met so many people and was never by myself except when it was time to sleep!) Toilet facilities are fine, they are outdoors but only a short walk (less than 30 seconds) from all 3 cabins. There is a good flush toilet and big shower and seperate male and female showers.

During your stay you can do as much as you like, or if you prefer you can relax all day and have a swim and hang out with the people living in the village. There is plenty of freedom to do what you like, but Tupou and Sake are more than happy to take you on tours (to Suva the capital, Sigatoka, the waterfall, for only a small price which is much cheaper than other tours that you pay for). It's also really good having them as a guide as they can help you navigate in an unfamiliar city.

Please don't waste all your time in a resort if visiting Fiji, because you are missing this opportunity to stay at Dannys. I am so thankful for the wonderful week I had and it was so much more than I expected. This is the best way to understand the Fijian way of life, the beautiful people, the hospitality and kindness that they display to everyone. You will not regret staying here at all, I could have easily stayed much much longer, but I will definitely be going back many more times!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Ali_1234255060

Been to Danny's Village Homestay? Share your experiences!