“6 stars, The real Fiji”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Namatakula
Danny's Village Homestay
Ranked #1 of 3 Namatakula B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

My husband, two young kids and I spent a wonderful week at Danny's. From the moment we arrived, till we left we were treated like friends. I was very impressed with the family cabin. It is rustic but spacious, with steps down to the beach and the sounds of the waves at night. But what really sets Danny's apart is the people!! My children loved visiting with Sakee, Toopoe and Mayhan and my youngest son is still asking to see 'Mickey'. The village children are wonderful and we spent many hours playing with them and learning new songs. We were fortunate enough to be invited to a party in the village and my husband enjoyed drinking kava and talking with the men. We went to visit the local school with 'Mickey' (Toopoe) and the children ran to say hello to us. It was really interesting to see what they are learning and heartwarming be welcomed with songs. Mickey was kind enough to look after our kids while we went snorkeling on the nearby reef, we saw many fish and a reef shark. I could write so much more, this was an absolutely amazing family experience. We had a really wonderful week at Danny's, we were truly welcomed into the village and the whole family had a fantastic time. I have to point out Dannys is not for everyone, if you don't like roughing it or cannot survive without wifi-- this is not the place for you. If you are open to new experiences and don't mind a few bugs, some rocks on the beach and making new friends-- Go to Dannys and tell Mickey we say "hi". Hopefully we will be back again sometime soon!

• Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank DerbyRam23

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My daughter , myself and 2 grandaughters booked to stay at Danny's for 3 nights and ended up l eaving after 2. They had put us in a tiny room (half a cabin) which was unsuitable for a 4 year old and a 1 year old just learning to walk. The bigger cabin, which is the photo on the ad wasn't being used and after requesting it, we were moved over there. The beds and pillows were uncomfortable. We all got eaten by mosquitos and the jungle mice could be heard scurrying around during the night. One managed to eat a hole through one of our cloth bags to get to some forgotten twisties. The second day, there was some family politics happening so we got crackers and jam for breakfast. Beach quite dirty and rocky. Lagoon out the front a big dirty mozzie breeder. Chicken 2 nights in a row. They were going to do a Lovo for our last night, but we were so tired and the kids needed a bath (and some respite from the mozzies), so we checked out early. Overpriced , for what you get. Noted that all smoked cigarettes. The kids in the village were great, all followed us back after a walk around the village. Maybe we just came on a bad week, but wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Ask for the room advertised, not the half rooms in the other cabin.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank swishandtony
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We arrived by minivan while everyone was tied up with registration (for the 2014 election) so one of the local youths showed us to our cabin on the seafront. Tupou soon came by to settle us in to the spacious but basic accommodation - outside loo and probably cold shower but hey this is a village and the way the locals live. We quickly felt quite at ease and were able to wander round the village freely and were greeted warmly wherever we went. We were there on a fairly high tide and had to wade through water to get about but were able to swim in the lagoon and then on the low wander out fairly close to the reef and talk to those villagers hunting for squid and seaweed. Tupou and Joanna fed us magnificently and their calls of 'more food' unfortunately could not be met. This was truly Fijian food. We witnessed the pounding of kava - indeed the sounds echoed through the village along with the laila calling people to the nightly church services and we were amazed by the rapid growth of infrastructure for Namatakula day which we unfortunately missed. We were impressed by the Grade 1 children's perfomance when we visited the school and we learned of the importance of Rugby in the lives of the boys as we watched them playing on the beach, on the road,on the oval while a few of the girls had some netball practice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janet J
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Arriving at Danny's.. we were met with open arms and hearts..our cabin was just what we wanted, as we love the simple life..It was Namatakulu Day the 2nd day there and as I had had my bag stolen with my passsport in it( in Lautoka, and it was my own fault) I needed to go to Suva to get an emergency passport. Well Sake drove us down and around to Suva to get it all organised....We made it back at 4pm and Sake was then able to go and enjoy the Village Festival.. that is an example of how well we were looked after. The food was amazing and varied..Tupou did an amazing job of feeding us, as my husband is allergic to eggs.. still managed to make banana pancakes and crepes for breakfast..eggless !!. We thank Tupou heaps..other meals..mussels in garlic, fish in coconut, stir fry chicken and the BESTEST curried chicken I have ever had. My husband loved the Kava sessions with the villagers, we found the openhearted friendliness of all in the village and Fiji amazing. We have come home telling everyone we know that we all have to go to Fiji. We will definetly spend some time of our next trip at Danny's Homestay..

Room Tip: Ask for the cabin on the beach,,
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LadyMaggieTasmania
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I stayed at Danny's Homestay with my toddler for two weeks, and we both loved it. We were welcomed into Tupuo and Sake's family, everyone was so lovely. The food was amazing, as others have said, and it's true the meal sizes are huge! I don't eat any meat except for fish, and I was well catered for. You will hear "More food! More food!", encouraging you to eat more at every meal.

My son played with the village kids on the beach every day, and even now a few weeks later, he says 'Bill!" (a little boy he played with every day) when we look through the photos from our stay. It was so refreshing living in a village setting, people offering to help with a crying baby (thank you Joanna!), or wanting to keep him entertained while I ate dinner or went snorkelling.

We visited the nearby waterfall with Tupuo, on the way back she pick some wild growing fern leaves which she later cooked up for dinner. Delicious! We also visited Singatoka market, Namatakula primary school, and Tupuo's lovely sister Bib who showed me how to weave baskets and fans. We also attended a church service, with lots of beautiful singing.

The room (Octopus) was basic, with a double bed and bunk but it was all I needed. It was so great having no tv, phone or interenet, kind of like having a recharge. I boiled water in a kettle to put in a bucket for my sons bath, which was a bucket outside in the sunshine. I did all of our washing by hand in the washing area in front of our cabin, even though I had offers to do it for me, it was all part of the village experience.

The beach was on our doorstep, with great snorkelling and amazing sunsets. At low tide we could walk all the way out, looking at all of the rocks and shells. My son loved it.

Village life is very interesting, like another reviewer said, ask lots of questions! I found out so much, I will remember this trip fondly for a very long time.

We will definitely be back to visit our adopted Fijian family :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MamaIsaac
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My friend and i were staying at the Outrigger on the Lagoon, in Sigatoka, but we wanted to get out for the day to experience the real Fiji. We didn't want to do what our friends had done and pay a massive amount of money to see a token gesture of Fiji, we wanted the real deal. And we wanted our money to go to a local community not some major tourist operator and thats where Danny Homestay came in. We emailed them the night before we wanted to book the day trip, they called us back at the resort to confirm and we were picked up at the front door of our resort at 9am the following morning by Tupou. Tupou escorted us on a local bus to the base of the Bisausevu Waterfalls where we got in a taxi with our driver Muhammed then we drove to the waterfall village where we had to leave the taxi and walk 45 minutes through the beautiful rainforest up to the waterfall. We were not disappointed at the end of this 45 minute hike when we reached the waterfall, took a quick dip and enjoyed a homemade Roti bread and curry wrap that Tupou had prepared for our lunch. Then we walked back down to the village, jumped in the taxi and drove to Tupou's home at Namatakula Village, where we were welcomed by all the village children who were swinging from the tree swings at the entrance to Tupou's house. Now it was time for a traditional culinary delight!! We helped Tupou and her daughter prepare the food to cook in the Lovo (an underground oven) then whilst it was cooking, we took some time to wander through the village, meeting and greeting so many friendly people with "BULA!!!" When the Lovo was ready, we watched the men dig up the food and we all sat down inside Tupou's house to share and enjoy this amazing feast together!!! And i cannot describe to you how delicious it was!!!! It will truly excite you!!!! After feasting like Kings we then visited Tupou's father house in the Village where we witnessed and took part in a traditional Kava ceremony. And yes it was real Kava, we had seen the village men harvest the root then pound and crush it down to a powder before our very eyes!! We were so humbled to be invited into the home and lives of such kind and friendly people and feel so blessed to have spent this time with them. It really is an enlightening experience. Whether you are planning to stay with Saki and Tupou for a few days or just visit them for a day trip you will not be disappointed!!!! Please support local Fijians in your quest to experience Fiji rather than following the mass swarms of tourists and sending your money offshore!! Thankyou so much Tupou and family. We hope to visit again soon!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Blueivy81
Reviewed June 10, 2012

On our 3rd trip to Fiji we decided to include a village stay in our holiday and after much research we chose Danny’s. What a great choice we made!
We organised a private transfer through Fiji Transfers to Namatakula after an overnight flight and Isso our driver was most accommodating and happy to stop in Sigatoka for us to get some supplies. The trip along the Coral Coast took approximately 90 minutes.
On arrival at the village we were greeted by a very friendly Tupou, her sister Joanna and niece Rosa, we knew within minutes we knew had made the right choice and were going to have a brilliant homestay with our new family. We were shown around and then left to settle in and our girls even had a nap after not sleeping much on the flight.
The cabin we stayed in (Starfish) was more than ample. 3 single beds and one double, all with insect nets, large refrigerator, table and chairs and a sink in a very good sized room. The beach was just outside our front door and it was lovely to fall asleep to the sound of the waves rippling on the sand. There was an outdoor loo and the shower was also in the same block, both were clean and in good order.
Food at Danny’s is both delicious and plentiful! Tupou is a brilliant cook and you will get a taste of some great traditional Fijian dishes. Some of our favourites were water fern in coconut cream, fresh parrotfish and the kids just loved the banana pancakes and Fijian pikelets. “More food” is a phrase you will hear often!
We went on a tour of the nearby Biausevu Waterfall which was so pretty and on the trip home were lucky enough to see a school performing Meke dancing for their Parents Day celebrations. We also toured the school in Namatakula and were treated to a show of songs and dancing from the preschoolers. My husband was invited to one of Sake’s relatives 70th birthday celebrations, in which they shared the kava we bought as a thankyou gift, he was made to feel very welcome and has taken home some special memories of that night. We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary with a bonfire on the beach, it was beautiful to watch the night sky by the light of the fire and share many a story with Sake and Tupou.
Our girls (aged 6 and 8) had the most amazing time at Danny’s. Each afternoon when the kids would finish school, they’d rush down to our cabin and play with the girls. They learnt how to climb trees, played on the bilibili (raft) in the river for hours, played hopscotch and learnt many Fijian songs and dances. Our girls left the village able to speak basic Fijian and wowed many people with they’d learnt in our 3 nights. On our final morning, our eldest daughter was hiding under her bed because she did not want to leave her friends.
Danny’s Homestay will always have a little piece of our hearts; we all took away so much from our visit. We will return, we will stay for longer next time and we can’t wait!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Tracee G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Namatakula
Tambua Sands
0 mi away
Beachouse
Beachouse
#3 of 3 in Namatakula

Been to Danny's Village Homestay? Share your experiences!