“Dissapointed”
Review of The Pear Tree

The Pear Tree
Ranked #1 of 1 Hildersham B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Ive got to start this review by stating that due to difficulties outlined below, i cant give a full review, so please read before judging too harshly.

My company booked me a one night stay here including pre payment of a meal allowance. I arrived at aprox 4 .45 pm on a monday evening to find the pub all locked up. A quick phone call got a staff member down who showed me my room...... Then it all went pear shaped.

The pub was closed and there was no food.... I pointed out this should have been pointed out on the website, but to no avail !!

The room is large and spacious, more like a small detached cottage sited across the pub car park. It is nicely furnished and comfortable, but some mildew on the bathroom walls shows that perhaps a little more care was needed when cleaning....... Nothing too major though.

The room has TV! Tea and coffee and free wifi. The signal strength isnt great though, being in a rural area, but it served its purpose.

I chose scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast and must say these were excellent...not to rubberised microwave jobs that some places serve.

The two staff i met were friendly and the breakfast was nice

Would I stay here again? Yes I would, but id make a phone call first to ensure the bar was open for a meal and a beer before driving 250 miles!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sowie
Sholto M, Owner at The Pear Tree, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

We would like to point out that we didn't charge the meal allowance and that our website does in fact say that we are closed on Mondays. In addition, I rang up the booking company at the time the reservation for our B&B was made and told them that we are closed on Mondays. I was told not to worry and to just charge the room rate and leave off the meal allowance. This we did and forwarded a receipt for the £60 we charged for the room.
I am sorry that there seems to have been some miscommunication between our guest and his booking agency regarding payment of the meal allowance and also regarding informing them regarding our Monday closure but I did my best.
I would, however, like to thank our guest for spurring us on to repaint the shower room with anti-mold, 6 year guaranteed, bright and white paint! The room is now good as new!
I hope he comes back and tries us again - We are open for evening meals Tuesday through Saturday.
'We are a small village pub and reviews on TripAdviser are very important to us - a bad one can ruin our reputaiton. If you look at our other reviews you will see that mostly people have had a very good experience with us. We try extremely hard to please and produce good, fresh, home-cooked meals (no plastic ready food at our pub!)
I hope this helps to clear up a few misunderstandings.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We had a delicious lunch today. Warm welcome for us and our dog. Food extremely well cooked and tasty, not mass produced pub grub in any way!

Wonderful to be given water with the meal without having to ask. Pudding and coffee excellent as well. Definately a great chef, we will be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was visiting friends who live very close by, and we ate here on a Thursday evening. It was pretty busy. The pub has adequate parking, is charming both from outside and within. Real ales (3) on tap, enhanced the eating experience. Service was attentive but not over the top. I'd recommend going early - say about 6, if you don't want to miss any menu options. I love this sort of village pub, where they take the trouble to manage beer and food well.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hildersham is an unspoiled pretty Cambs village of 200 folk about a mile E of A 11 [M] on the Haverhill road. Here the River Granta is small enough to ford -with a bridge for Conservatives. The other Granta flows by Audley End House both to Cambridge where it becomes, some say, the Cam at Silver St Bridge in Cambridge.

The main feature of the village is the modest Pear Tree Pub not too obvious in daylight in the main street, indeed the only street. I have been a regular here visiting about five times in 5 decades. It has had a makeover since the 60s when I recall no sawdust, the main nod to hygene being gaps between the floorboards the accurate could spit through. But I dont trust my own memory though there were similar pubs in Suffolk

The Pear Tree takes pride in its lack of usual pub amenities, TV, music, games and all the stuff women and men that go to pubs to talk dont like, plus real ales for lager hating locals- too acid and gassy if you like eight pints at a time

The most positive feature is a blackboard offer outside of fish and chips on a Tuesday for £6.50 which is full of hidden but delayed promise of reasonable prices inside resonating with the modest aspect.

The house white Chilean is pleasant and only very faintly metallic and the Pinot grigio frisky and fruity. Both are nearly £4 for 175ml.and with Double G and T at around a fiver suggests aspirations to city prices. But it would not surprise me if locals and regulars qualified for discount. Not a budget Pub as reviewers say.

We were not offered a menu to consider for a future visit and there seemed to be no blackboard with bar food prices, Menus are not on the web site but are avilable on request by e mail. So we decided not to risk it.The lighting was not very welcoming and the diners looked like they would recognise each other as the passed each other in SUV s on a Saturday

This is a pub satisfied, no doubt justifiably, with its current clientele. Better than the local where the regulars look up as a stranger enters like a cowboy bar deep in the heart of Texas. I doubt I shall be back for another decade if I m spared as my Grandma used to say. Tho the ephemeral fish and chips is tempting if ever famished on a Tuesday

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank alimac69
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed overnight to prepare for a job interview in Cambridge. The hosts (Poppy and Sholto) were really welcoming and helpful. They have set up a fantastic pub/B&B. The accommodation was spacious and clean, set in an friendly, quiet village. The food and real ale at the pub were delicious -a varied, interesting selection on the menu. My stay was as relaxing as I had hoped for. I hIghly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank G P
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in the pub accommodation for the weekend and honestly had a fantastic time. The room was spacious and very comfortable, our hosts Poppy and Sholto were extremely welcoming and their food was delicious. There was always a friendly local atmosphere, and the pub was only a short distance to Cambridge. I would definitely recommend a visit, The Pear Tree is absolutely perfect for lunch, dinner or a whole weekend away.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Sholto and Poppy have run The Pear Tree Inn for about 6 months and they have transformed it into a great place to eat and drink. I live a couple of miles away and I'm more than happy to pass a couple of other pubs and make the trip to enjoy the excellent food and ale available here!
The menu is good and varied but the specials often take top spot with some truly lovely dishes. Some dishes are in the £13+ bracket but there are other delicious choices much cheaper (lovely burger at £8) and the Fish Cakes are superb and are really good value at £11. I managed to feed and water the family (5 of us) with an excellent meal for £100 (suffice to say we left the car and walked home happy!).
This Inn is definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank YellowAndBacardi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hildersham
The Three Hills
The Three Hills
#1 of 2 in Bartlow
The Black Bull Balsham
The Black Bull Balsham
#1 of 2 in Balsham
Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge

Been to The Pear Tree? Share your experiences!