“Worst restaurant in Whitehorse...”

Morels At The High Country Inn
Ranked #61 of 112 Restaurants in Whitehorse
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Not worth the overpriced slop they serve there on a nightly basis. The only reason we went is because we had a gift certificate. Had to beg them to make a reservation...wouldnt return our calls. No one was there to seat us when we arrived. Any groups over 7 was automatically dinged 17% for absolutely mediocre service for what the product was supposed to be...4 star???? Give me a break! The chicken the risotto and the steak all had the same insipid cold sauce on them...made from oxo cubes i think! Steak was cold. Chicken was bland at best. Goat cheese salad was graced with barely a twig of wilted lettuce and thw crab cakes were soggy....oh and did i mention the white wine was warm....im just getting nausious reliving it. This place is really only a trap for exhausted travellers and lazy busnessmen who cant be bothered to find better restaurants downtown. The only meal that was worth the price was maybe the fish and chips that we ordered for a child that came from the bar menu and even that meal was overbattered and soggy. Shame!

2  Thank Mark S

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We arrived here about 30 minutes before closing time. One large party was just finishing up, and the remaining 4 parties were small. However, it was at least 15 minutes before our orders were taken. I had already finished my water. We ordered drinks and our dinner. Our drinks came at the same time as dinner. Instead of white Zinfandel, I received warm white wine. My dinner was OK, but I suspect my mashed cauliflower was really potatoes, as it didn't taste like cauliflower. My husband's steak was overdone and terrible, partly because it was a NY strip, the only cut offered. We didn't order dessert. However, we heard the server telling another server that she accidentally put someone else's dessert on our tab, and didn't know how to fix this. They got it fixed. We wished we had gone somewhere else, but we were staying in this hotel. A poor choice.

2  Thank Seahorse825
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Last week during the Canada wide FN AGM a friend and I went to Morels for lunch. Two FN gentlemen were sitting near us when we arrived. By the time we had finished our meal the men had not received theirs. They spoke to the server and were told the 'cook had lost their order'. Again they waited then finally left. I felt so angry and embarrassed that this happened in my hosting city.( I also learned from the news what difficult issues the delegates were dealing with.)Later I tried contacting the restaurant manager but had to leave a message. She has not yet contacted me. I am writing this review just in case she 'lost my request' for a call! Shame, shame, Morels. Good food but unacceptable service.

3  Thank KAM76Whitehorse
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stopped in after a long day outdoors. I had the steak and my hubby had the ribs. Both meals were served promptly, were well prepared and delicious. The steak comes with fries but I asked to substitute for a baked potato instead. No problem with this request. The dipping sauce for the steak is delicious and the cole slaw that came as a side with the ribs was outstanding. One of the best meals we had while in Whitehorse. Definitely recommend and you don't need to stand in a line for an hour outside to get in.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Full of local charm. In fact, there were lots of locals there. We ate in the bar area. I had pasta with buffalo meat. I was excellent. And they have a brewery in Whitehorse and their beer is excellent. If you like beer you should really try a couple.