“Older building but some nice perks”

Morels At The High Country Inn
Ranked #75 of 112 Restaurants in Whitehorse
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed here 2 nights in August and 2 nights in September 2012 on either end of a wilderness backpacking adventure.

First two nights were in room 412, a large corner-suite with an enormous jet tub and separate shower/bathroom. Room was at the end of a corridor, so it was fairly insulated from hall noise/etc. Bed was a large king with a boatload of big pillows, which we love, and was very comfortable. Shower had ample steaming-hot water and good water pressure, but limited counter space. Overall a great experience.

Return trip put us in room 402, in the main hallway and situated above the "Deck" restaurant--ventiliation allowed a lot of noise to pipe right into the room and mid-evening a group of rowdy kids smoking in the room below us literally filled our room with smoke. The tub-seals on the standard-tub/shower also leaked, so the floor became saturated 5 minutes into a shower and you stepped out of a tub into a pond. It was unbearable and we contacted management about the problems. To our surprise and relief, they responded by apologizing, moving us immediately to the "Presidential Suite" and addressing the smoking partiers in the room below us.

The Presidential Suite was fantastic--a large room with desk, fireplace and sitting area, a king bed with a lot of pillows and extra blankets, a large bathroom with giant jacuzzi tub and massive shower head in the middle, and quite a lot more counter space for toiletries. This room was also on a main corridor, but had obviously been upgraded and insulated, so noise was not a problem. Plenty of hot water, though pressure was somewhat less than the shower in our first room, but still acceptable.

The staff here, particularly the night staff, are very friendly, efficient and pay close attention to guest needs. Overall a great experience, though portions of the facility need some maintenance.

Bottom line, I'd stay here again, but I would also insist on a room that has been recently renovated, preferably at the end of one of the hallways away from the restaurant.

By the way, the hotel offers two restaurants: The Deck, and Morels. We never ate at Morels, and prices seemed a bit high there. The Deck, however, is clearly a locals-favorite, which speaks for itself. Servers are top-notch, very friendly and the food is great. Also very convenient to eat in the same building, though several other restaurants and downtown shopping a within easy walking distance of the hotel.

Overall it was a little bit pricey compared to the Lower 48, but we were there in peak tourist season, so the higher prices were somewhat expected.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stopped at the High Country Inn yet again, on our way out of Alaska. This time we arrived late in the evening, so we just wanted some good food to enjoy in our room, so I called our order into the Deck..casual dinning/bar. I was told our order would be ready in 10 minutes..I went down in 10 minutes to find my order packaged and ready to go. Blake, my waiter, had everything nicely packaged for me & everything I needed was in the bag. The service was good and the staff were all very pleasant. I loved the calamari..it was a generous serving..and not overly breaded..just right! My hubby raved about his proscuitto panni..and the Manhattan clam chowder was delicious with the fresh root vegetables..maybe not for everyone with its middle eastern spice..but I thought it was refreshing, different, and totally enjoyable. Try this ...I think you will like it!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We enjoyed the pub-like atmosphere on the deck. Servers were friendly and efficient. Good selection of Yukon Breweries beer on tap. Food reasonably priced for Whitehorse.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Not worth the price. If you order it you pay for it no matter what. Meal was over priced and bland. Be sure and have them hold the sauces. It was like the chef did not like his food and he was covering it up with a sauce.

2  Thank Bridgette L
Reviewed June 12, 2012

For a conference this wasn't bad at all.....buffet lunch not great on the first day, but the chicken served at lunch on the second was very tasty, and the squash soup followed by roast beef banquet was definitely good.

1  Thank BluenoseQueen