“Such a Nice Surprise!”
Review of Cafe Balzam

Cafe Balzam
Ranked #45 of 111 Restaurants in Whitehorse
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This restaurant is a hidden treasure! The food is all hand made and the flavour combinations are exceptional. I wasn't even aware that this restaurant existed and had taken my family out to visit the Yukon WIldlife Preserve for Mother's Day! My father was getting hungry so we decided to see if the Takhini Hot Springs had a snack or two available. We saw that they did, indeed have a restaurant open and thought we'd give it a shot. Each of us, four in all, ordered a different dish, and as we often do, we tasted each others selections. Each dish was unique and delicious. The flavours were subtle and the combinations were wonderful. The visit to the Preserve was great fun and the excellent food at this surprising little restaurant topped off our day! We will be going back that way , just for the food... and my mouth is watering as I write this.

2  Thank Cam H
There are newer reviews for Cafe Balzam

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Had some game (elk?) sausage crepes. They were awesome. Service was really great too!! Must go. I wish we had finished the hot springs earlier - it would have allowed for a secodn meal there.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

First time we made it just before the menu changed to the poutine special ... So from the menu my husband and I sampled goat in the woods salad and crapes just amazing! Then by the time we got done eating appys the menu change to all sorts of POUTINES! We shared the the one with sautéed mushrooms WOW Just wow! ...
2 Nd time out we shared a few things , Brie bake was ok, goat in the woods salad new fav we also had some sort of deep fried mashed potato balls they are to die for and the chilli was great.
The Brie ,salad and chilli all came with home made breads
Xxo

Reviewed March 5, 2014

My partner and I joined another couple for the special Valentine's Day supper. The menu looked tempting and we were very excited to dress up and take the trip out to the hot springs. Now, we had been at cafe balzam the week prior to try out the crepes as dessert before having a soak in the springs.The crepes were quality! My partner had the chocolate and hazelnut and let me tell you I was jealous. No nuttela here!!! I had the Miss Piggy which was ill named as it was way too wholesome with its green apples. Nonetheless the ingredients were fresh, the crepes perfect and overall an enjoyable dessert. So the Valentine's menu, themed in red, did not disappoint. The starter of goat cheese on field greens with a cranberry reduction was punchy and creamy but add the delightful Himalayan long pepper short bread with just the right crunch and salt and it was mind blowing. Wow - with such a strong start - could the rest of the menu hold up, we wondered... YES! It did. The roasted beet soup was just right to keep our growing hunger at bay until the main course arrived. Then I had the Duck Wellington and it was perfect. Flaky delicate pastry, meat cooked just right. I could taste all the ingredients. A true taste party in my mouth. My companions all had the seafood option which was crispy giant prawns and grilled scallops - perfection! The dessert of dark chocolate fondue served in our own individual pots with our own plate of fresh fruits put me over the moon. Seriously, that was the best chocolate fondue I've had in decades (and I can hold my own in the kitchen). Now, I do have a few comments for improvement. It was a special night and a wee bit expensive - the price was not an issue - but we dressed up to attend the event and we were in the booth by the entrance. Unfortunately it was freezing outside and there was a very cold draught from the door and nearby window that kept me freezing all night. Unpleasant and this needs to be addressed to keep all your patrons comfortable. The event itself started at 8:30 pm. This is fine but I was already quite hungry and it took a long time to get dessert which made it feel a bit rushed. Eating the dessert at 10:30/ 11 pm was a bit rough and I would suggest the kitchen turn the food around faster next time. Again, let me be clear - this is one of my top three eateries for Whitehorse. I highly recommend going out of your way to eat here... I just feel there are a few technical issues that need to be addressed: heat when it is cold outside (especially in the spot near the door) and quicker service (especially on an evening that has a set menu and a set number of customers). Otherwise, this place is brilliant and I hope it stays around for a long long long time. Magnifique!!!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This is a small, independent, and excellent restaurant facility on the grounds of the Takhini Hot Springs site. These folks have an eclectic and delicious menu, with almost everything available in a gluten-free fashion on request.

1  Thank Kelly G