Sundog Retreat
TripAdvisor
Airport Chalet(Whitehorse)
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsfuzzy crocusviewing cabinsraven's nestwolf denhot tubnorthern lightsdog sleddingfire pitsun dogcranberry cottagesun roomaurora viewingcity tourbean northwell equipped kitchensatellite tvtakhini hot springs
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We're a party of two with accommodations at the Cranberry cottage for a winter stay in late February. We booked blindly with no expectations that go along with that. We have been blown away by the experience. The cranberry cottage is definitely the place to stay with panoramas of mountains by day and star fields better than I have ever seen by night. This is without mentioning the aurora borealis.
On the property we've gone for a 10km hike to the Yukon River. Within a 10 min drive we've gone to a private tour of a wildlife reserve, walked to a coffee shop that we had to ourselves, then continued to the hot springs 5 mins down the road without the aid of a vehicle.

Best amongst all these is the customer service. We have been treated like royalty. Every request we've made has been met down to a lemon for a dinner meal. For an encyclopaedic idiot like me the constant questions i've asked have always been met with educated answers as well as honesty.

We're seasoned travellers and this is one of our top experiences. The scenery, the wildlife and the customer service has been exemplary and the cabin is cleaner than my house.

Room Tip: Cranberry Cottage has the best unencumbered view of both mountains and north by northeast site lines for Aurora Borealis.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Miscavitch
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Driving directly to your cabin at Sundog Retreat feels like arriving at your very own holiday home in the woods. Private, warm, and very comfortably furnished, you'll want to stay longer!
The Aurora cabin (for northern lights viewing), sauna and hot tub are available for all guests, and the extensive property provides walking and snowshoeing options. Your hosts are just a telephone call away. From setting up your camera for the best aurora borealis pictures, to recommendations for tours and activities, they are friendly and knowledgeable guides to a great Yukon adventure.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zvac
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We came from Scotland to visit friends in Whitehorse in Feb 2014. One thing on the Yukon list was aurora so we all decided to book at Sundog for two nights. We stayed in Wolf Den which was cosy and well equipped. The highlight was watching stupendous aurora from the hot tub. Absolutely awesome. Good service and great facility. Top marks!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2014

The Sundog Retreat is an excellent place to stay just north of Whitehorse!!! The Aurora Borealis was spectacular and it was a blessing to see God paint the night sky!! Absolutely amazing, the views Great!! I stayed at the fuzzy crocus and the cranberry. They food was very tasty!! and there were excellent activities to do during the day. I recommend the dog sledding, if you are lucky you may even see a moose in the wild:)

The wildlife sanctuary is worth a visit, lots of animals. The hot springs are great and even better if you decide to try the ice-climb. That was a surprise and I would do it again. I unfurled my Canadian flag and celebrated our Olympians at the top.

Andrew and Heather did an excellent job making sure I would enjoy Spring Break 2014!!
Another thanks to Samuel who helped me with my camera settings. Sundog is worth a return visit.

Room Tip: The Cranberry has the best views, I also liked the fuzzy crocus.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Fireweed cabin at Sundog for 4 nights. Cabin is two bedrooms, well equipped kitchen and satellite tv. Outside is pretty new bbq. Well located and clean place including viewing cabin. We had no luck, however appreciated Andrew and Heather in all that the did. To explore definitely rent the car. We took the package but I found it over priced and would normally pay less in a nice hotel in Banff or Louise. Never the less, its close enough to Whitehorse and to the hot springs and driving out to the hot springs. Would definitely come back and stay again if more affordable.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends