“Excellent Cabins and View”
Review of Sundog Retreat

Sundog Retreat
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Sundog Retreat, the cabins had an awesome view of the mountains, they were comfortable and well equipped for all our needs. We enjoyed the peace and quiet and the hospitality of the owners was the best, they went out of their way to make us feel at home and recommended the best places to visit during our stay as we were staying 6 days for a family wedding. Highly recommend Sundog Retreats, a great place to stay when you visit Whitehorse.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Absolutely loved it! We were in the Cranberry cabin with another couple and we appreciated the fact that the bedrooms were on 2 separate ends of the cabin with the kitchen/LR in between. We looked forward to coming home every day, sitting on the deck and just watching the world go by. It was so peaceful, private; can't say enough on how much we enjoyed this retreat. Only suggestion - maybe a little bigger fridge. We realize some people may not stay as long as we did (6 nights), but we tried to cook our supper every night and it was hard to bring groceries home as we were limited on fridge space. But we made do!! We absolutely loved, loved, loved it!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a great place to stay. It is comfortable and clean, woodsy but with all the modern conveniences. It is about 10 miles from the Alaskan Hwy off the Klondike Hwy but well worth the time to get there. It is about 30-40 minutes outside of Whitehorse. We loved it.

Room Tip: When you stay at the Sundog retreat you stay in a private cottage.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have visited this place with few friends. All of us love this place and would love to stay longer. The place has several different cabins, we stayed at Fireweed, Nook and Ravens nest. Each cabin is diferent but all superb. If I will be around Whitehorse again I will come back.
Jan

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Review of sundogretreat

This was a very difficult review for me to write. On the one hand, the cottage was immaculate. On the other hand, one had to go to another building for a shower. On the third hand ;-), the walk back from the shower was wonderfully brisk, serenaded by birds, breathing the crisp, clean air.

The cottage was well-appointed and organized, with a complete kitchen, which allowed us to eat our home made breakfast in the midst of the gleaming floors and bright sunshine. However, our groceries had to be bought 20 miles away, in Whitehorse. The beds were comfortably firm, but there were no blackout curtains.

We had been informed that we would be sharing a bathroom, but did not realize that we would need to walk out the door, down the walk, around the corner, and into the lounge. On the other hand, the lounge was very comfortable and quiet.

On one hand, there was wifi, but only in the lounge, and a little weak. The privacy of the retreat was so complete that there was no need for a key, and we would not have needed to meet the owners at all, and we do appreciate our privacy on the road.

This facility was more like a private home rental that we would have found on a website that we often use for travel, and I do wish we could have added more stars.

If you are still reading this review, I would suggest that you carefully consider what you are looking for. If you want privacy, comfort and peace, this is the place for you...five stars definitely. If you only want a bed and a shower for a through trip, then this place may not be for you.

As a frequent user of Yelp, I fully appreciate my responsibilities to this vibrant community. I enjoy adding new places that may be useful to fellow Yelpers, and have been grateful for those who have reviewed before me, to make my travels more convenient and comfortable. That's one reason this review was difficult. After three days in the Northwest Territories, we were extremely happy to find a spacious and new retreat, and thank the owners of this premium property for their attention to detail and efforts for this sustainable and environmentally friendly facility. We initially decided on three stars, based on our needs, but feel that would not be fair to the spirit of this wonderful haven in the woods. Hence, the five stars. Take this review, and the others, to heart, and make your decision.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StephanyIowa
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was our first time in the Yukon - on my retirement trip from the DC area. My wife and I (and our dog) had such a relaxing time in a lovely spacious cabin (Panorama) - so much that we asked for an extension - twice. The owners kindly juggled schedules around for us to accomodate our request.
The retreat is very quiet, which is what you want when coming to Yukon, and lots of privacy with a large yard and a private deck. Our dog just loved romping around the place.
It is a 20 minute drive from town just enough to have perfect tranquility, but easily go shopping for goods. = if I had wanted to stay in a "town" I would have stayed in DC.
There are so many beautiful places to see (and do) in the area, so if you plan to spend fruitful "Yukon" time, I highly recommend Sundog.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I did the Golden Circle route, Whitehorse, Haines Junction, Haines , Skagway and ended up back in Whitehorse. This place read well on Trip Advisor. My wife is a huge Robert Service fan and as this accommodation is on the shores of Lake Leberge (Labarge) it was an obvious choice...even if it was a bit more expensive than accommodation in Whitehorse itself.
Oh how I wish we could have spent a few days here. It is absolute heaven. Surrounded by beautiful Alder and Pine, the cabins are well spaced and don't overlook each other. They are well appointed and very comfortable. The Kitchens are properly stocked with appliances and cutlery. The Sauna and Hot Tub are available all day and night....but there is a request that After 10 pm noise is kept to a minimum....which is admirably fair.
It is wonderful that people in a peripheral area have made such an effort to ensure that what they offer is of such excellent quality. They have obviously invested considerable finances, time and effort into this project. Such dedication will ensure repeat business rather than the usual substandard accommodation that is often offered to tourists in such beautiful peripheral areas on the basis that your guests will never return anyway....so why bother having standards.
This place is on my "to be returned to list"

Room Tip: From what I saw, any one of them would be perfect. All top quality and no noise issue.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family