“Comfortable”

Beez Kneez Bakpakers
Douglas, Alaska
“Comfortable”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I randomly had an urge to go on a road trip. Traveling solo I looked to save a few bucks and decided to stay at this hostel. I was nervous entering but things went so smoothly. It was early in the season, not too full and as the only female they put me to have a seperate dorm which I really appreciated. At all times I felt safe, comfortable and very welcomed. The next morning sitting at the kitchen table sipping coffee I met people from around the world. The conversation was wonderful and engaging while sharing travel experiences, it was difficult to pull myself away. Yes, stay here! It's not brand new or shiny, but it is very clean. I will be back and I am bringing a friend with plans to stay longer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Never had such a nice welcome in a city before. Nancy went out of her way to help us and gave us as much information as we asked for. Tip: ask her about the northern lights. She´ll tell you the stories and you don´t need to pay a tourism company to go and see them. She knows as much as they do.
We stayed in a shared bedroom but as it was winter there where only 4 others in the hostel. We ended up hiking together and even shared a car to go to Dawson City. That´s the result of a hostel were you feel like you´re part of a group :)

This is hands down the best hostel I´ve ever stayed at. (And, believe me, I´ve stayed at many)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Squamish, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I had to leave early this morning but wanted to thank Nancy and the crew for a great stay. From the very beginning they were welcoming and made sure that I knew to use sheets instead of a sleeping bag, which is how good hostels control for dirtbag travellers spreading 'things'. There were clean linens, towels, bathrooms and kitchen. The beds were comfy and the decor funky. Felt like visiting your favorite Aunt over Christmas. I felt immediately at home.

On Sunday when most things in Whitehorse shut down, Nancy was kind enough to go out of her way to make sure I got to where I needed to go. No wonder she has won the Whitehorse hospitality award three times.

I highly recommend this hostel to the laid back traveler who just wants to feel at home if only for a short while.
Thanks Nancy and you have my vote for this year too!

Walter.

Room Tip: rooms are dark and quiet. all good choices but there is a double bunk bed in the room beneath the p...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Nancy is a sweet host and we had a nice time at the hostel. I stayed for a night there. The sitting area was nice and you could laze on the comfy sofa with a book. I also met several friendly people there. The only problem was that the computer they had there was super slow!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I was honored to spend my first Christmas as a traveler in this super-cute Hostel in Downtown Whitehorse. I came to the city with a job, but no place to stay. Nancy and sweet little Bertha (a retired sled dog) and all the lovely people I met during the days I stayed, made me feel absolutely at home and as I left the Beez Kneez, it felt like I was leaving home and had to say good bye to my new other little family. Because it is so small (12 Beds in 3 rooms) and because you're allowed (and encouraged) to have a look at everything and also to use it (kitchen equipment, books, games, puzzles, hairdryers, the stereo and other stuff), it is a completely different experience than what I know from other, "regular" Hostels, and I loved it! Definitely the best Hostel I ever stayed in!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I have stayed here twice. The first time I had a decent stay in one of the 6-bed rooms in the main house. The second time was a disaster. There was no room left in the main house, so they put us in a camper van out back. They told me it was quite cute and I imagined something completely different. It was a van from the early 70’s. The mattress (original mattress!) was nasty, there were holes in the actual van and giant bugs were getting in, and it was very small (could not even stand up in there). If that is not bad enough, they have a dog's poo is all over the backyard. If you stay in one of the cabins in the back - watch your step. The deck in the backyard is swarmed with bees and there are bee hives surrounding the deck. I am allergic and therefore did not use the deck.
If you are staying in the main house, the hostel is decent enough. But if they offer you the camper van – RUN!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrea S
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed in this hostel for a week in Oct. people were very nice in the hostel, especially Nancy. I have met a lot of great people in the hostel. It's such a warm place. For the entire of time that I stayed, I just felt like I was at home. Highly recommend !!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo