“Best Day out ever!”

$147.18*
Full-Day Canoe Trip on the Takihini River
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Muktuk specializes in customized small group adventures for both novice and experienced mushers . Walking tours are offered in the summer. Nestled into an ox-bow on the Takhini River, the 100-acre ranch is bordered on three sides by the River, ideal for mushing in the winter, and for beautiful scenery in the summer.
Reviewed June 19, 2010

It was a fantastic and humbling experience to hear Frank Turner at Muktuk Kennels who has won the Yukon Quest many many times( a 1000 mile Dog sled race over 6-7 days at minus 40!). To see the love and care he gives his dogs taught me more about management and team work than I could ever have learnt at a 1000 seminars run by so called consultants. We were here in Summer and Frank will not run his dogs pulling humans in hot weather due to risk of heat stress ( unlike other organizations ). To go here is to experience the wonderful relationship between man and dog and to learn a lot about ourselves. In colder weathger all sorts of other activities are available. we took the dogs for a walk . They are all gentle trustworthy dogs. They were all soo excited to see that Frank was going to take them for a walk , the barking was deafening. "Pick Me! Pick Me!' Frank just whistled quietly and 137 dogs were silent.! t is easy to get here from Whitehorse and well worth the trip. You can organise a lunch and stay overnight.

Reviewed June 15, 2010

Spent four hours petting and learning about sled dogs. Great experience. Good atmosphere. Frank was a great speaker and was very personable. Staff was knowledgeable and willing to answer any and all questions. Would love to go back during the winter to get the whole experience.

Reviewed April 22, 2010

We stopped here for one night in the summer and enjoyed it so much we stayed for 3. Frank, Anne and all the staff were so friendly and welcoming and it was a delight to spend so much time with the dogs and to go down to the lake with them. The scenery is lovely and we walked by the river and around the property - but we didn't see the local moose or bear and cubs!
We returned in February for 9 days and had the most wonderful time. The staff are very patient, professional and taught us well so we soon enjoyed taking our own sleds up and down the Yukon river with up to 5 dogs. We had a 2 night camping trip and it was so rewarding and fun looking after the dogs - feeding them, preparing their straw beds, cuddling them, looking after their feet etc - only then was it time for us to eat and we had great meals cooked over the fire. We slept both in the tent and out in the open on a bed of straw and that was awesome. The clothing and equipment we were supplied with was very warm and cozy. It was amazing one night when all the dogs began to howl for a couple of minutes! The scenery was gorgeous and it was really neat to be out sledding just hearing the swooshing of the runners on the snow and the breathing of the dogs. Frank and the staff love and look after all the dogs so well - they are all Alaskan huskies so friendly, beautiful and love to be hugged and patted - all 130 of them and each has its own personality! We unfortunately didn't get to see the Northern Lights but that must be brilliant especially if you are out camping.
Back at the kennels it is great to see the dogs who have been retired from pulling the sleds, run free around the property - and the puppies are so cute. If you are lucky enough to spend some time with Frank you will be rewarded with some very interesting conversations - and, if you ask, great stories of his Yukon Quest experiences. The lodge has a laid back and friendly atmosphere and the Yukon cabins are fun to stay in - using a stove and kerosene lamps add to the whole experience - and they are so warm. The food was really excellent too! We loved the whole experience and are now planning a return trip next year.

1  Thank epic6
Reviewed April 6, 2010

We recently were lucky enough to spend 9 days at Muktuk Kennels enjoying the company of the dogs and the people plus the amazing Yukon scenery.

Muktuk provides a friendly and welcoming environment where you are invited to be as 'hands on' with the dogs and the daily operations as you want to be. If you are interested in getting up early and helping to feed the 140 dogs, harnessing up before you go on a trip and even poop-scooping thenyou are welcome todo so and 'get your hands dirty' or if you would rather relax at your cabin or at the lodge then you can do this as well.

You are able to speak with all members of the staff, hear their stories and its immediately obvious how much they care about the dogs, their love of the sport, the lifestyle and the Yukon. The staff are willing to teach you about overall dog care and its fantastic to have the opportunity to take out a sled and dog-team and take responsibility for looking after the dogs - they are amazing athletes! The optimum care of the dogs is primary and its amazing to see all of the older retired dogs allowed to roam free, and being looked after in their retirement. Muktuk's philisophy is that the dogs work hard for them, so the staff work hard to look after the dogs!

Muktuk Kennels are 'off the grid' and take an environmentally conscious approach, so if you stay overnight then you are encouraged to be aware of this ethos and participate. Don't let this put you off however as it is a great part of the experience and simply means that the cabins tend to have kerosene lamps as opposed to electric lighting - it really adds to the experience.

Having worked in the tourism industry for the past 12 years I cannot recommend these guys highly enough. They made every effort to personalise the trip to our needs and we were lucky enough to go on a four day camping trip with the dogs and even had the opportunity to sleep out at night under the stars - don't worry there are tents (even with stoves for warmth inside) if you would prefer.

This is a working kennel and provides a very authentic experience and was a fantastic experience for me havng come from NZ. Frank Turner has completed the 1000 mile Yukon Quest race more timesthan anybody else and he was very generous with his time.

The home-cooked meals were also amazing with great fresh salads and vegetables - we definately plan to go back if at all possible.

3  Thank ElPicoNewZealand
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I was recommended Muktuk by my travel agent and through reading the reviews here on TA. It was certainly one of the most amazing days of my life.

I am a city girl and have never been so close to racing dogs in such a natural environment before. I was given a sled as well as I was taught to get the dogs and put them in the line. Still nothing prepared me for what was to come. Had a few pitfalls in the beginning but Karina was absolutely patient in helping me get the hang of driving a dog sled. Our trio dog-sledded in the wilderness while Karina guided the way with a ski-doo in front of us. The views were breathtaking. I spent the first quarter of my time watching the dogs as I needed to get them to trod while Karina guided me. After a while, it was almost as if the dogs got the hang of you and your weight and soon they were in sync.

Myself and 2 other guests then had lunch and spent time talking to Manuela. She's been with Muk Tuk for 3 years now and is looking forward to mushing in her first Yukon Quest in Feb 2012. She has so much experience and knows so much about each of the dogs personalities. We then watched a movie featuring Frank Turner, the owner of MukTuk on the 2003 Yukon Quest.

It was nearly towards dinner time and because it Easter Monday, some of the Turner grandkids turned up for some egg-hunting. I felt like I was in the middle of a family gathering and it was a warm and wonderful atmosphere. Emma had cooked the most amazing dinner I've which included elk, caribou and arctic char.

The only one disappointment I had was not being able to meet the man himself, Frank. But everyone else had been awesome, encouraging and warm. I left the place on a high and I am definitely going back there for summer activities and more dog-sledding!

2  Thank deezerness