“True dog-lovers passionate for the sport of dog-sledding”
Review of Muktuk Adventures

and up
3 Days Tour Fall Color in Yukon from Whitehorse
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Muktuk specializes in customized small group adventures for both novice and experienced mushers . Walking tours are offered in the summer. Nestled into an ox-bow on the Takhini River, the 100-acre ranch is bordered on three sides by the River, ideal for mushing in the winter, and for beautiful scenery in the summer.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

A good way to learn about mushing, to tour the grounds, and visit the very friendly dogs. I was hesitant since I'm a real dog-lover and worried about treatment of the dogs. After visiting, I feel confident they're well cared for and are just being encouraged to follow their natural instincts. Still, they're outside sport dogs, not comfy bed-sharing dogs like the ones in my family. There was no actual "pulling" on this tour since it's summer and too hot for them to pull.

1  Thank TLW0rley
"hot chocolate"
"arctic char"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed July 3, 2013

A truly amazing adventure. I read about Muktuk in Polly Evan's excellent book 'Mad Dogs and an Englishwoman', and made it a 'Must Do' on my bucket list.

It was a joy to meet Frank Turner (veteran Yukon Quest musher) and his team for whom the dogs are everything (all 120 wagging tails of them!). I was lucky enough to stay in the main lodge for a couple of nights, joining the river walks and being a Rookie for the Day, so got plenty of hands on experience with these wonderful animals.

Everything about Muktuk is green, they grow their own vegetables in the greenhouse, recycle everything and conserve water and energy where possible.

From the moment I stepped into the Muktuk Shuttle to my last waves goodbye I was treated as part of the team. Frank (who competed in the Yukon Quest's first 20+ races and in 1995 won the prestigious 1000 mile race) was kind enough to answer all my inane questions and I look forward to returning just as soon as the snow falls to get out on the frozen river with Manuella (Frank's excellent second in command Manager) and the dogs.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Spent a wonderful afternoon at Muktuk. The staff are friendly and informative. Had visitors from away so took them for some Yukon culture and they were suitably impressed. The setting is relaxing, inviting, and very well run. Was impressed with the treatment of the dogs, and the fact that visitors are allowed to spend as much time as they want petting and visiting the animals. Will definitely visit again, probably in the winter so I can go dog sledding. Well done to Frank Turner and his great staff, and volunteers.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very pleased to see that the dogs love what they do ! Beautiful scenery along the way.
The girl who picked us up was late, we were left without communication in the lobby wondering if we had missed the tour? That could be improved a little. I also think that on the drive there is a
perfect opportunity to take the time to talk to the van full of people about dogsledding and it's history etc. I knew nothing about it and would have loved to have had some background and insight as to the dogs etc. and the history of Muktuk. I think it was a lost opportunity and it just felt like our girl was speeding to get us there. Also on the way home thing got worse in the van.
We were jammed into the van , way too many of us, no seatbelts and actually quite dangerous.
If by some chance we had slipped off road etc. we would have been injured.
They put some extra visitors in the van than just those of us who had originally arrived and for all of us with our bulky clothes we could barely fit. I know they were trying to avoid making two trips but it was definately dangerous.
The adventure is great though and the dogs love what they do for sure !!!!

2  Thank Ildiko B
MuktukAdventures, General Manager at Muktuk Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We are incredibly sorry to hear of the issues surrounding your transportation to Muktuk.

We take your response very serious and want to assure you that beyond immediately taking care of the issues mentioned in the post; this was a circumstance that does not describe the norm for Muktuk. Rather, this represents an exception to our everyday standards of safety and client care.

I send my deepest apologies to you for the safety issues in the van, rest assured our vans are inspected as per commercial transportation guidelines and have working seatbelts. Our driver’s responsibility to make sure all passengers had a seatbelt before leaving the premise should have certainly occurred as it does normally. If not, it is not beyond our means and safety measures to send another vehicle or hire a cab—I express my regret this was not done for you.

This transfer opportunity is a time we discuss the background to Muktuk and further to Frank Turner’s 24 years as a Yukon Quest Musher, my sincere repentant you did not experience these stories.

We will make every effort consistently to do our very best to ensure that our clients never experience a feeling of lack of safety and importance.

I would like to thank you for recognizing the joy that our dogs have in their every adventure—we are very glad you enjoyed the sledding adventure and authentic Yukon scenery regardless of the unfortunate failings in the transfer.
Thank you very much.