“Dogsledding Adventure”

and up
Half-Day Canoe Trip on the Takihini River
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Muktuk specializes in customized small group adventures for both novice and experienced mushers . Walking tours are offered in the summer. Nestled into an ox-bow on the Takhini River, the 100-acre ranch is bordered on three sides by the River, ideal for mushing in the winter, and for beautiful scenery in the summer.
Port Moody, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Dogsledding Adventure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very pleased to see that the dogs love what they do ! Beautiful scenery along the way.
The girl who picked us up was late, we were left without communication in the lobby wondering if we had missed the tour? That could be improved a little. I also think that on the drive there is a
perfect opportunity to take the time to talk to the van full of people about dogsledding and it's history etc. I knew nothing about it and would have loved to have had some background and insight as to the dogs etc. and the history of Muktuk. I think it was a lost opportunity and it just felt like our girl was speeding to get us there. Also on the way home thing got worse in the van.
We were jammed into the van , way too many of us, no seatbelts and actually quite dangerous.
If by some chance we had slipped off road etc. we would have been injured.
They put some extra visitors in the van than just those of us who had originally arrived and for all of us with our bulky clothes we could barely fit. I know they were trying to avoid making two trips but it was definately dangerous.
The adventure is great though and the dogs love what they do for sure !!!!

2 Thank Ildiko B
MuktukAdventures, General Manager at Muktuk Adventures, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We are incredibly sorry to hear of the issues surrounding your transportation to Muktuk.

We take your response very serious and want to assure you that beyond immediately taking care of the issues mentioned in the post; this was a circumstance that does not describe the norm for Muktuk. Rather, this represents an exception to our everyday standards of safety and client care.

I send my deepest apologies to you for the safety issues in the van, rest assured our vans are inspected as per commercial transportation guidelines and have working seatbelts. Our driver’s responsibility to make sure all passengers had a seatbelt before leaving the premise should have certainly occurred as it does normally. If not, it is not beyond our means and safety measures to send another vehicle or hire a cab—I express my regret this was not done for you.

This transfer opportunity is a time we discuss the background to Muktuk and further to Frank Turner’s 24 years as a Yukon Quest Musher, my sincere repentant you did not experience these stories.

We will make every effort consistently to do our very best to ensure that our clients never experience a feeling of lack of safety and importance.

I would like to thank you for recognizing the joy that our dogs have in their every adventure—we are very glad you enjoyed the sledding adventure and authentic Yukon scenery regardless of the unfortunate failings in the transfer.
Thank you very much.

Lindsay

Vancouver
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Dog sledding is a lot of fun. Will definitely go back again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Joined the full day of dog sledding tour in March for $265 + tax. Each sled takes 2 people and ran by 5 dogs. The sled dogs are super friendly and well-behaved. It was so much fun sledding on the iced river. The sceneries along the way are fabulous. The dog kennels are maintained in a very good shape and clean. The dogs seem to be very happy living and working there. The people who work or volunteer on site are very nice. Our guide of the tour, Jeff, is very friendly and he answers all kinds of questions about Yukon and the dogs. Overall, this is a must go activity when you visit Whitehorse!

1 Thank Summer3344
San Francisco, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“See you again soon, Muktuk!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed for 3 days and 3 nights at Muktuk, all wonderful. The dogs are very happy and love to run and pull the sleds. They all get so excited when it's time to go for a half day or full day run, I was so relieved they really enjoy it as much (or more) than the humans do! The staff is extra friendly, from all over the world, and eat breakfast, lunch and dinner together, which gives the stay at Muktuk a sort of family feeling. I stayed in Shilo's Chalet with a lovely view of the river below, and though there was an ongoing electrical problem and no running water for the winter ( just in the cabins, not a problem if you stay at the main lodge), the staff was really helpful and made it up to me with a generous discount and a very sweet dog to stay with me in the cabin. The half day trip on the dog sleds is great, and the full day trip with lunch outdoors is even better! The rookie for a day itinerary is also really fun and a good way to get to meet all the wonderful dogs.
I'll definitely be back next year to take another stab at seeing the northern lights. I always thought I was a city person, but after this experience, I'm really enamoured with the country life--I wish I could have stayed another month!

1 Thank Hilda K
Pearcedale Victoria
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Muktuking in Whitehorse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We've just had a fabulous afternoon out at Muktuk Adventures, just a short drive out of Whitehorse. This was to be the best ending of what had been a fantastic trip in the north, driving the ice roads. And what a great way to end dog sledding down a river on a sunny clear day.
Our group of 9 Aussies had been highly recommended to take a tour with Muktuk and none of us were disappointed. The sheer delight of being pulled by a team of 6 very happy & excited dogs along a white snow covered river was an absolute delight and another tick of our bucket list.
But you know the best thing was that all the dogs at Muktuk, and there are a lot, are very well cared for and loved and their well being and happiness is the number one priority of Muktuk, and it shows. They are happy, healthy dogs, and when they become too old or infirmed to work, they are retired and live their lives out comfortably around the complex.
You also get the chance to walk amongst these friendly dogs & are encouraged to give them a pat and cuddle, they just love the attention.
While we didn't stay in the cabins they looked really good. The staff are very friendly and welcoming.
All in all we all had a truly wonderful experience and hope to return again.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank ronmoon66
Vancouver, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Heart melt <3”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We visited Whitehorse for some winter adventures. We had a full day dig mushing tour booked with Muktuk (leant that it means Whale blubber) adventures through the Northern Tales.
Lindsey picked us up at our hotel in the cute retro van. When we arrived at the kennel we were overwhelmed by the number of happy and excited dogs.
They provided us with warm clothing, and instructions. Our guide was Jeff who was wonderful, very kind and friendly, and needless to say, our team of dogs were adorable. They were so friendly, so cuddly and so athletic. By the end of the day we bonded so much with them, it was difficult to say goodbye. I am very happy that they are so well taken care of.
We took a trip over the frozen river and back. We had lunch around the campfire with tasty hot drinks.
I was there with my father and we both loved the experience. It is a little cold and bumpy ride for the person sitting in the sled, but if you are the driver it's perfect. Next time we'll make sure to get one sled per person.
Thanks a lot Jeff and Lindsey, such a great experience.

1 Thank Sunny V