“Worst costumer service in north america”

Stop In Family Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We reserved a room and told them we would be late. We were informed no worries you have a reservation. They took all of the credit card info and again confirmed that we were set when we arrived. I arrived about 230 am and was ready to sleep from a long drive. However when I went inside I told the dingy guy my name and he said sorry there are no rooms. I told him my name again and he said sorry he sold the room. Only one room left and it was a suite and more expensive. He said that my reservation was not there. When he opened a second book my name was on the list for a room. He said sorry I didn't see it. I asked if he could just give the suite since it was his mistake and I was told again no I can't do that. I ended up staying in a rest area up the road. With a family of four not a comfortable rest. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone if it were the last bed on earth. Sad because the lady I spoke with on the phone seemed very respectable. Do not stay at all.

• Stayed: July 2014
16  Thank Matthew S

Reviewed September 11, 2013

No rooms anywhere in town as Whitehorse was hosting a festival so this was the only place we could get Needs lots of tlc - dirty and old. CSI would have a field day with the ceiling stains. We were on the top floor, our neighbours returned to their rooms at 4.15 am very noisy so that was the end of our sleep - we were on the road a short time later. No internet connection, and were told no one else had a problem it must be our computer!!! Receptionist 100% disinterested, couldn't even raise a smile or greeting. Room was grim - we were grateful to not be sleeping in the car but on reflection not sure that was the right decision.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank happybctraveller
Reviewed September 24, 2012

If you are an aspiring field reporter or general adventure-seeking gadabout, the showers here will be good training for experiencing a hurricane. I'm surprised how many bad reviews here, maybe I was lucky. New bed, new TV, free parking/internet/cable, and a clean room. Whitehorse hotels are not fancy. I had a better experience here than at the Westmark or Canada's Best Value Inn.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Don B
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We rented four rooms with my colleagues for work because the better hotels in town were all full. Customer service is below zero, their Internet service is extremely slow, and worst: no heating at all in the rooms. It is the 20th of September in Whitehorse and there is no heating!!.
The rooms are very small and outdated.
We asked the receptionist to give us some extra blankets because the beds have just a very thin blanket and the rooms are cold. He never provided us with extra blankets.
Please, don't go, unless you like to suffer and being treated like an animal.

Room Tip: Noisy rooms on the street side.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
9  Thank Albernio
Daljeet D, Owner at Stop In Family Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

There are several inaccuracies and extenuating circumstances not addressed in this review. On September 20th , there was a wind storm that resulted in a power and telecommunications outage in Whitehorse. The following link to a local newspaper article attests to that:
Naturally, with power and telecommunications being out, this would impact heating systems and our internet service. These are factors beyond our control. Dated rooms? New furniture and flat screens were installed this summer! It was cold in the rooms? It was an unseasonably warm +24ºC in Whitehorse on September 20th! This review, honestly, has not one ounce of credibility to it. Ironically, this guest likely used our supposedly slow Internet access to post this review.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Nothing is cheap in Whitehorse, but this older hotel, recommended to me at the local motorcycle emporium, was reasonably priced, clean, and had in the building a large laundromat, a hair salon, and an excellent Indian restaurant. The room was standard, neither fancy nor shabby. The Sikh family that operates the hotel were friendly and courteous, and made my one-night stay most pleasant. I stopped there after a fitful night of wilderness camping along the Alaska Highway, and found the peace and comfort that I badly needed. In Chicago or Omaha, this hotel would rate as "average." As a value in Whitehorse, I consider it very good.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank PSU-NHDad
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I wanted to stay at the Best Western or Westmark or High Country, but they were all sold out. Every place in Whitehorse was sold old even the bed and breakfasts, this place had stained linens, stained towels and stained shower curtain. I woukd have rather slept in my truck.

Stayed: June 2012
8  Thank JD778
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

I am sorry that your stay did not meet with your satisfaction. If you had pointed out the stained linens, they would have been gladly and promptly replaced. However, if the guest does not point this out while staying at our premises, then how are we to rectify the issue? I assume you were happy just to be getting any accommodation at all that night, and, perhaps, that is why you did not raise the issue in person. It is additionally unfortunate that you focused on the one negative aspect of your stay. The month of June 2012 has been particularly busy, and our establishment has been fully occupied on several nights. Many guests that would not have chosen our place normally, due to a preference for larger chain hotels, have had the chance to experience our property, and the overwhelming numbers of responses have been ones of pleasant surprise. We have received several compliments on our new flat screen TVs, comfortable beds, new furniture, our reasonable rates, excellent water pressure in our showers, and the quality of sleep guests get in our hotel on account of our quiet location. Guests that have pleasant experiences are happy to share their views and voice those to us in person upon check out, rather than stating them from the anonymity of the Internet. It is obviously more difficult to win over a guest when we were not their first choice to begin with, as in your case. I hope you have better luck for the remainder of your travels. I wish you well. Please remember to book ahead, as hotels are often sold out in the summer. Additionally, you always have the choice to: (a) see the room and inspect it before taking it, and (b) sleeping in your truck if you want to.

Reviewed September 29, 2011

We stayed here twice, once on the way north and again on the way home. It's an older motel and the hallways smell a bit dusty and musty but our room was fine.......everything was clean and comfortable. On our second stay, a man overcharged us on the room rate (unknown to us) but shortly after we reached our room the front desk called to ask us to stop by for a refund. I was kind of surprised that their sign said air conditioning since a fan was the only thing we had to cool things off besides an open window. We never used their restaurant as neither of us are keen on Indian food. The location is good, most of Whitehorse is within walking distance. The area was quiet so we were both able to get a good sleep. I was amazed when I logged in here and saw all the negative reviews. It won't go down as one of my favourite places to stay but it suited our needs adequately.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mouselady
Daljeet D, Owner at Stop In Family Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

We appreciate the feedback you have provided. Our hotel strives to cater to budget travellers looking for less expensive yet clean and adequate rooms. Our room rates are on average $50 to $70 cheaper than similarly sized rooms at competing hotels. We think our repeat customers appreciate being able to spend that money on an extra tank of gas for their cars, having a fine meal at good restaurant, etc. We can keep our prices lower, because we are a family-run business that is less reliant on keeping a huge staff.

With regards to your specific comments about the air conditioning, most hotels in the North do not have air conditioning, and if they do, only in a select number rooms and you are expected to pay extra for that luxury. Air conditioning is something that people from more southern locations take for granted that is just not that widespread in the Yukon on account of our cold climate. We decided to install central air conditioning in the rooms, but unfortunately, as often is the case in the North, the contractor that installed it was not qualified for the work and has since gone out of business. The system works if explained to the guest correctly, but is not ideal in providing the individual control that guests seek. We are looking at ways to improve the air conditioning, but our options are limited due to the lack of local contractors qualified in this work. I hope you understand, and thank you for your fair and balanced review.