“German Goodness in Wintry Whitehorse”

Northern Lights Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 28 Whitehorse B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in a cute cozy cabin at the Northern Lights Resort and Spa and I couldn't recommend it more.
Our hosts Wolfgang and Renate were wonderful, Wolfgang was quick to get us snowshoes and point out a trail for a crisp winter walk around the property and happy to flip the top on and off the hot tub when we needed it to warm up afterwards.
Renate's meals were delicious, warming soups, baked local salmon and a particularly delectable sour cherry and cream dessert. Continental breakfasts fuelled us for our days out in the cold.
We were lucky enough to see the Aurora during our visit, Wolfgang checked the weather each night and kept an eye on the skies while he was still up, he even knocked on our door at midnight to alert us to a wave of green cresting over the horizon.
My only disappointment was that I did not have time to try one of Renate's massages! Next time for sure.

Room Tip: Go for a cute cozy cabin - complete with (butane) log fire!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank London_Lass81
Wolfgang B, Owner at Northern Lights Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Hi Nina & Nathan, thank you so much for staying with us and for the review. And thank you for the wonderful article in your weblog, it looks like you had a lot of fun in the Yukon. We are very happy that we could be a part of your trip. We hope to see you again, maybe for the indiansummer. Happy New Year, Renate & Wolfgang

There are newer reviews for Northern Lights Resort & Spa

Reviewed December 18, 2012

This resort is the best place in WH. We've stayed 3 nights at the room in the main lodge. Even though Aurora was a quiet level, we really enjoyed our holidays. And we are totally satisfied with great meals, hosts and views. Thank you so much for your hospitality.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Wolfgang B, Owner at Northern Lights Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Dear Saori, thank you again for choosing our Resort for your Northern Lights vacation and for your nice review. It was very nice to have you and your Mom here at our place. Enjoy your time in Canada and when you are going back to Japan, we wish you all the best for your future. Hope to see you sometimes again in the beautiful Yukon. Renate & Wolfgang

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Wolf & Renate are wonderful hosts, great food, warm cabin, everything we looked for in our first trip to Whitehorse. 360-degree views of the surrounding mountains were spectacular. The weather didn't cooperate by showing us the Aurora this trip, so we'll just have to come back; other times it's obviously brilliant - check out Wolf's images on the website!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndyRockDr

Dear Andy, thank you so much for your review, you both have been wonderful guests. We hope you had a great time in NY after leaving the Yukon and a safe trip back to Australia. Merry Chrstmas, Wolfgang

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I've never been disappointed when I've tried some top rated B&B on TripAdvisor. It wasn't different this time. We stayed 2 nights at the "Enzian Chalet" and it was excellent!

Very clean, cozy and warm cabin (built by Wolfgang) with super comfortable bed and window faced North, so you can keep your eyes in the sky during the night hopping to see some Aurora activity.

As soon as you see some Northern Lights showing off, it's great to get out off the cabin to get a better view and go for a walk in the middle of the snow, silence and darkness - an amazing experience.
Unfortunately the Aurora activity level was low during these 2 days, so we were able to see just a little bit of it. It would be better to had more days (maybe 5) to see more intense Northern Lights.
We also enjoyed the hot tub outside (despite the cold -32C), it was great, very relaxing!

The meals (cooked by Renate) were delicious and very healthy, we particularly loved the mushroom soup and the salmon.
The main lodge (where the meals are served) is also very nice, with a SPA area and a great fireplace where you can sit down after dinner and have a chat with the lovely hosts Wolfgang and Renate - they are really nice people, very friendly and helpful, the kind of people we love to meet, exchange experiences and bring the real meaning for the word "traveling".

We hope to come back someday.

Vitor and Thayla

Room Tip: The guest room in the main lodge looks cozy and nice, but in my opinion you can have a better experi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VitorAlexandre
Wolfgang B, Owner at Northern Lights Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Thyla & Vitor, Thank you so much for your lovely review. You came as guest in our house but you truly left as friends. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our place so much. We are looking forward to see you soon again and hope we that you will see the amazing Northern Lights next time. Take good care, Renate & Wolfgang

Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is a nice place to stay. It is clean, warm & cozy, new, and the owners (they enthusiastically run the place themselves, and Wolfgang actually built the lodge!) are nice and friendly. It is especially good if you are after the Northern Lights since it is not near the city. There is also a nice trail on which I went snowshoeing.

I wasn't fortunate enough to see the lights over my 3-night stay. Nevertheless I had a great and relaxing time enjoying the sauna, the outdoor hot tub, the food, the environment and the setting. And I saw many shooting stars because there was so little light pollution. Remember
to bring your star map!

Room Tip: You can see the Northern sky from the front porch of the cabins. The room (Fireweed) in the main lod...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ling C
Wolfgang B, Owner at Northern Lights Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Hi Ling, thank you so much for the wonderful review, glad you liked the snowshoeing. We got a lot more snow in the last days and our guests enjoying the trails like you did. We will be soon in Vancouver and hope we can meet for a coffee somewhere, then. Take care and Happy Holidays, Wolfgang

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I had to choose the best place for my two night stay to see the lights, decsion was firstly based on:-
1) The weather - who had the clear skies, 2) easiest to get to, --- was it going to be Dawson city Yellowknife, Fairbanks or Whitehorse. Well I struck gold with this one. flight a doddle from Vancouver, Air North are lovely, I stayed in the Ezian cabin, just perfect accommodation everything you need, but I opted to have breakfast and evening meals in the main hotel house with the owners Wolfgang and Renate who are delightful. a great choice ..lovely food, good conversation.
The setting of the Hotel and cabins are stunning, You can stay in the house, but in my opinion the cabin is better for viewing the lights, much more practical. you could be on watch from 9pm - 4am . So your outside, then look around, if you see lights grab camera and tripod and get clicking, If you don’t, then back in the warm and then 15 mins and out again, the cabins have large windows facing north and east so you can be on watch inside. Wolfgang was really helpful to me with regards to setting up my camera to get the best shots. ( a week before I had just bought a 600dSLR just about knew how to switch it on!) He also feeds you as much up to date Northern lights activity news and weather as is available. My pics would have not been as good without his advice.
They collected me and took me back to the airport (all perfect) and also dropped me off and picked me up in Whitehose town so i could have a few hours mooching around in - 30°c. Oh yes the cabins have Wi fi - i skyped my family and showed them the view!

OK i admit I was not brave enough to get into my bermudas put a heavy towelling gown on (supplied by the hosts) and run the 20 yards in - 30°c to the outdoor hot bath... maybe next time!

If you have clear skies and aurora activity i cant see how you can beat this place. enjoy -- kind regards Roger

Room Tip: i did not stay in the hotel but i would say .. choose the cabin rather than the hotel room if you ar...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Roger A
Wolfgang B, Owner at Northern Lights Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Hello Roger, thank you so much again for staying with us, it was a pleasure meeting you and talking to you. You are a very interesting person and we enjoyed every minute. Thank you for the wonderful review. We would love to see you sometimes again in the Yukon and hopefully you can bring your wife with you next time. Renate & Wolfgang

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I visited favorite Yukon many times,but I was invited to the wonderful owner that it was the first time that I visited Northern lights resort&SPA and had wonderful aorora,a wonderful smile,wonderful scenery and a delicious dish and was able to spend wonderful time.
Anyway,oneself wants to look and can enjoy aurora,and I leave Cabin,and aurora is the place that I can photograph immediately.
In addition I have tird body massage it and am heald.It is the place that I want to visit really again.Gentleness and consideration of the owner are the best above all.

Room Tip: Because there is a big window tow cabin can enjoy aurora from the room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank keiko892
Wolfgang B, Owner at Northern Lights Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear Keiko and Harumi, thank you so much for your reviews. You both were wonderful guests and we enjoyed your company. Thank you for teaching us Origami. We hope to see you again soon. Renate & Wolfgang