“Loved our stay! Great place, and great people.”

Hidden Valley Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 28 Whitehorse B&B and Inns
Skagway, Alaska
“Loved our stay! Great place, and great people.”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We had a great overall experience at the Hidden Valley Bed and Breakfast. Here’s a nutshell of our impressions:

The Place: This place is all about location. Drive 10 min out of the hustle and bustle of town and find yourself in a homey comfortable environment, with quite nature all around, good people, and a hot tub under the pines to relax in at the end of the day. What more could you ask for in a tri to the Yukon.

The Room: We stayed in the Cappuccino suite. Excellent views! Very homey feeling and tastefully decorated. The bed was HUGE and quite comfortable. Firm, but in a good kind of way. I have some lower back problems and this is the ideal mattress for back health. The pillows we’re large and puffy, the kind you can sink into. A nice luxurious sleeping experience for sure! No complaints between me and my girlfriend who had just arrived from Sweden.

Meals: Eva and her husband have a really nice almost commercial kitchen they basically give you free rain to which is a nice plus. The breakfasts looked and smelled delicious, however due to my gluten and dairy allergy I had to stick to boring old oatmeal. Sara say’s breakfast was “tasty, hearty, and filled her up.” Coffee was good and strong as well.

The People: Eva was very generous with us. Se let us check in VERY early for our room due to our travel situation, and because someone was already in the room we reserved during the earlier part of the day before what would have been a normal expected check in, she up graded us to the cappuccino suite for no extra charge. She was a nice lady and we both enjoyed chatting with her and getting to know her a bit during our stay.

Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco
Reviewed September 12, 2012

The owners have created the first (almost) self-serve b and b. At least that was my definitely bizzare experience.
After making my booking, I said to the owner, Eva, who sounded very pleasant, that I was looking forward to meeting her. "Oh no, " she said, " I will be away on a hunting trip. She added that a neighbor would be looking after the place.
Only no one was around when I arrived. And no one would appear for another five hours. Meanwhile, I wanted to use the internet but did not have the security code. At one point, I made a brief call home to give the local telephone number (my cell phone as not working). My friend called back, but it was intercepted by the neighbor who explained that not only was she not there, neither was I.
Eventually, when she did arrive, the neighbor/house sitter proved to be a charming if frazzled woman. But it was clear she was overmatched. Not that it was her fault.
So what else is there to say about Hidden Valley. Well, the location is a big plus, outside the city. The grounds are very nice, with long-range views to the mountains. The inside is very tastefully done. And the breakfast served the next morning was ample and out of the ordinary.
Still, there were annoyances. Like the used soap in the shower and the absence of shampoo. I found the bed quite hard and the pillows the kind that could survive an elephant stepping on them and would still retain their shape.
Finally, just this thought: while some people stay in b and b's for the interaction with guests in the morning. I stay because I appreciate the advice I can get from the host about an unfamiliar area. Unfortunately, that was impossible because the owner was away hunting. And probably laughing the whole time because her establishment was full even in her absence.

Room Tip: The suite is the only room with a TV. However, the b and b does not have cable, so there is little c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Exscribe
EvaYukon, Owner at Hidden Valley Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
The comfort and happiness of our guests is always of prime concern. I am most appreciative for the opportunity to provide improved services wherever possible. Thank you for pointing out these discrepancies. There is definite room for improvement where the Wifi is concerned and we will make notification available in print in every room. Shampoo/conditioner, new toothbrushes, individual toothpaste, mouthwash, shaving cream and razors have always been available to guests should luggage go missing, which sometimes happens, and I have provided this service, free of charge, where I have denoted need. I will now put it in print in each room. The used soap was an oversight, should not have happened, and hopefully will never happen again. The complaint regarding the comfort of the bed is mystifying. It is a brand new king size bed, and virtually every guest has slept in it, has commented on the comfort of the bed and the quality of their sleep. We have Star Choice cable television available to our guests with 30-40+ channels, and the televisions work perfectly both in The Cappuccino Room and on the large screen TV in The Media Room. Perhaps there was some malfunction happening at that time? Henceforth I will put printed operation instructions on the remote TV controls.

It was very unfortunate the staff member, who tends the Bed and Breakfast in my absence, was not present when our house guest arrived. She was told early afternoon, and arrived later. He said early afternoon and arrived late morning. It appears to have been a breakdown in communication. I am deeply apologetic for any inconvenience this may have caused him and have made a point of drawing this review to the attention of my staff. Thank you for taking the time to comment and for the opportunity to improve services at The Hidden Valley Bed and Breakfast.
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I recently visited the Hidden Valley Bed & Breakfast run by Eva & Emile. It was my first visit and I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the home and the property. The flowers were gorgeous and I wanted to sit on their large deck for a while just to take it all in. The home was lovely and my room was immaculate and very comfortable. I left my blind open so the view of the beautiful mountains and woods would greet me when I woke up.
Eva prepared a delicious breakfast for me that varied every day. It always had a little pansy added. Which I could eat if I wished.
They were helpful with telling me things that would be of interest to see me in the Whitehorse area.
enjoyed meeting their family and their dogs. It felt like I was at home. Emile was even kind enough to drive me to the airport as I had no other way to get there.
Would I return? Yes in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Lisbeth A
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Eva was a fantastic hostess who provided all that we needed and more when it came to breakfast. I stayed there for three nights with three of my children and we were all very pleased with the quality and variety of breakfasts provided. The house and property are gorgeous in a picturesque mountain valley setting.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Dan M
NSW
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Four of us stayed at Hidden Valley B&B for five nights. Thank you Eva and Emile for sharing your wonderful home with us. Your warmth, wonderful hospitality and great company made us feel so at home. Eva prepares a fantastic breakfast, there is a great choice of lovely bedrooms, plenty of space for peaceful time and the farm appeal with dogs, horses and birds. You will need a car to come and go from Hidden Valley but that is a minor problem for what you will get for staying there. We enjoyed our stay so much and would go back in a flash.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely and quiet but the Cappuccino room is the biggest with a King bed
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nina C
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This is the best B&B we have stayed in on our trip so far.
We have a strict budget, and it got us a very large,clean, comfortable room with TV and WIFI.
The breakfast was delicious
The hosts were friendly and very helpful when we needed to fax a document home.
The house and gardens are beautiful with a great view.
The only issue is that they are a ways out of town, so you need a car, but that is why the setting is so lovely.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank swelgus
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I would firstly like to thank the owners Eva & Mel for the warm hospitality they have provided us throughout our 3 night stay. They welcomed us as part of their family, had knowledge of the place and area thank you to Mel. We felt really at home and comfortable getting to know the Stehelin family. Eva was so gracious attempting to organize tours for us to do, as we were in whitehorse not in the right time of year for activities/tours etc. Unfortunately we just missed the northern lights which was a bummer hence was the reason for our trip there. Overall we loved our stay there and would highly recommend it. Thank you again to the Stehelin family!!!!!!

Room Tip: The Cappuccino Room was the main room that had an ensuite and had a beautiful view. Highly recommend...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple