“Wheelchair accessible room in Whitehorse”

Coast High Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I just recently stayed at the Coast High Country in Whitehorse, Yukon. The hotel is quite accessible, there is an accessible parking spot near the entrance. And I think the main entry doors are automatic in the summer, but in the winter, it was quite heavy to open. There is a restaurant and bar on site. There is a great accessible guest room at this hotel. The room is very large and there is lots of manoeuvring space. The washroom is huge, and there is a wheel-in shower that is well designed, as you can reach all of the controls and shower head from the bench - you wouldn't think this would have to be a big deal.... but it is.

The staff are great, the hotel is clean, the food at the restaurants are decent, and its possible to walk to the downtown core in about 10 minutes.... it was winter and I wheeled the trip a few times... so couldn't have been that far.

Room Tip: If you get a room on the sunny side, its great as there is lots of natural light, but the room does...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Quaintly Western in feel, the Coast High Country Inn is a retreat in a quieter part of town, just 5-10 minutes walk to the Main Street.
Our Deluxe room with double Queen beds is spacious and comfortable, furnished with a desk and chair, 2 armchairs, a refreshment station with a fridge, microwave and a coffee machine, as well as a large flat-screen TV on a chest of drawers. There are 4 sets of fresh clean linen and 2 bath robes. The jacuzzi bath for 2 is a real treat on a cold winter night.
The front desk staff is friendly and helpful, the pub lively and adequate.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank CherylinSg
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed here for a week in January while I was in Whitehorse on business and enjoyed my stay. I got there from the airport with the hotel's free shuttle. The room was very large and had a king size bed with nice linens. The staff were friendly and helpful, although not always at the front desk when I dropped by to ask questions.

Housekeeping was very good, and there was a microwave and fridge in my room, which was very helpful as I was on a special diet during my stay and this allowed me to bring/store the food the I needed.

The hotel isn't right downtown, but it's only 5 or 6 blocks away which is a nice walk if you're dressed properly. Not being right downtown, the hotel is quiet and I felt very safe. I had good breakfasts at the hotel's restaurant (again, very accommodating of my dietary needs) and had a couple of nice dinners at the bar that is attached to the hotel.

The only down-side was that I had gotten up early on my last day hoping to get breakfast before I caught my early morning flight out of town, but the restaurant wasn't yet open. But, there is a pretty good restaurant for breakfast at the airport, so no worries. I will stay there again if I go back to Whitehorse for business.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I traveled here in October 2013 to see the Aurora. I knew from my research that there were not that many hotels in Whitehorse, and I wound up booking this one as part of a package with Northern Tales. This hotel is owned and operated by the same company that owns and operates the Gold Rush Inn, which incidentally is just down the street. My room here was adequate but not luxurious, and I was happy with the experience. The hotel has a SPECTACULAR restaurant, and a separate a bar/pub on property and I found the fare in both to be excellent. The hotel's location is right in the middle of town and as long as its not 40 below you can walk comfortably to anywhere in town. The reception staff was courteous and helpful. This is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I am a regular guest having stayed here 2 to 3 weeks a month for about two years. I am not a fussy guy. I like the basics and the High Country is 'way better than just basic. The location is ideal. At the south end of the downtown area it is a 5 minute walk to 4th and Main. A one minute walk to the Klondike park, Rotary Park and the river. I have a preferred room which I usually stay in that has a kitchenette. It is small but has beautiful views of the Klondike, The river and the Grey Mountain. It is quiet and the staff are the best. I love the place and feel at home here. Many folk might find the rooms a bit small and a bit plain, but that is part of the charm for me. I live here. I do not vacation here so perhaps my opinion will not mesh with yours. I did have a jacuzzi room for a treat on my last stay in Dec.2013. It was very nice but I missed not being able to cook.

Room Tip: Don't book my room please. It is home to me when I am in Whitehorse.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PaulVMcE
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Be prepared for no parking. The lot at this hotel is so small, yet they allow their staff to take up the precious few stalls there are to be had. We had arrived just after a snow storm and just trying to drive into the lot was a challenge with all the snow. The room was very small and the bathroom only had a very small shower. There was a leaky water line in the bathroom which made it impossible to walk into the bathroom without getting your feet wet. The sink was also in need of attention as the water was very very slow draining. The bed was hard and the mattress protector that was under the sheet was very noisy. Had the most terrible sleep. Next time I go to Whitehorse I will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Spent 3 nights at the High Country. Large functional room, good wifi, good breakfast. Very, very helpful staff during a very crowded period. Very much appreciated them. Nice pub/restaurant with good food.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business