“Once in a lifetime experience”

Aurora Borealis & Northern Lights Tours Yukon
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Northern Tales Travel Services, your one-stop shopping spot for year-round adventure in the Yukon! In winter, enjoy an aurora borealis viewing package with optional winter activities such as dog mushing, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, ice fishing, sightseeing flights and special events. Summer experiences include hiking the Chilkoot Trail, canoeing remote rivers reachable only by float-plane, fishing on the Big Salmon River, trekking past glaciers in Kluane National Park, and much more! Ask about custom, individual and private trips by foot, boat or van.
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Once in a lifetime experience”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I booked a 3 night Aurora viewing package in Whitehorse, Yukon as I have always wanted to see the Northern Lights. Unfortunately the aurora activity wasn't very significant at the time however the tour itself was very enjoyable. The staff and guides, from the moment I was met at the airport until the final trip out to the viewing field were fantastic. The heated cabins and the facilities at the viewing sites were well designed, well stocked and staffed by experienced and knowledgeable guides which certainly made waiting for any aurora activity an enjoyable experience. On my second night out one of the guides took photographs of the limited activity which has since provided me with a reminder of my time in Whitehorse (unfortunately my camera wasn't up to the job) and the friends I made while there.
The town tour was short but then Whitehorse is only a small town. The guide was very friendly and well versed on the town's history and highlights and the presentation at the Information Centre was certainly informative.
Whitehorse itself was a very friendly and welcoming town and the staff at the hotel were also very helpful and the facilities were good.

2 Thank ChrisfromBrisbane61

Palo Alto, California, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Couldn't have done it without Northern Tales”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

From booking, to advice about what to wear, airport transfers and the entire tour, the Northern Tales folks were incredibly helpful, friendly and knowledgeable, and made our trip simply unforgettable. We made last minute bookings and they were very helpful with finding us the last available room for the holiday season. We had an amazing tour of the wildlife preserve and the hotsprings! The hotsprings were alone an amazing experience! Although we didn't prebook a half-day dog sledding trip, it ended up being the highlight of the trip! We strongly encourage everyone to visit with Muktuk adventures. The nightly aurora viewings were also very fun, and Tom and Wolf made sure that we were always entertained and had plenty of drinks and snacks. We were lucky to see auroras one night out of four - but have no regrets about the nights when we couldn't see them due to cloud cover. We visited in -30 to -40F weather and couldn't have done it without the outdoor gear rental - even folks who didn't originally rent the gear ended up renting it after the first night out. We were very happy with our experience in Whitehorse and with Northern Tales and we're already planning our next trip to see auroras.

1 Thank Jim W
San Francisco, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Bucket List vacation”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have been discussing seeing the Northern Lights for years now. Finally I decided to go, with my best friend, my son and his girlfriend and my daughter and her fiancee. The "kids" are all just about 30. Every one of the six had a fantastic time - and couldn't believe how perfectly organized everything was - and the friendliness and thoughtfulness of the staff. Also the other companies they work with (dogsledding, etc.) are just as thoughtful and well staffed and organized. I would highly recommend that anyone who wants to see the lights book with them. Ålthough we did not see the lights during our visit, it only serves as a reminder that we must return. The viewing site is rustic yet comfortable and lovely, the tours are informative and interesting, and I can't actually say enough glowing things to express what a great time we had! Definitely one that will never be forgotten. I would actually give them 7 stars but thats not an option!

It IS cold - but you can either gear yourself up or they will rent you gear. The beauty of the area is unbelievable. Bring a good camera and be prepared to take way too many pictures.... its that amazing.

3 Thank susanaloca
San Diego
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Northern Tales provided the best customer service!”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We booked the Aurora Borealis from a Cozy Cabin package. The tour was 5 days and 4 nights - 2 nights were at Whitehorse and 2 nights at the cabin in Lake Laberge. It was unfortunate, we did not get to see the lights on any of the nights we were there, but the snowy landscape was breathtaking (especially for someone from southern California).
Here is my review of our experience:

1. We booked air from Vancouver to Whitehorse through them and they were able to get us the cheapest fare, even cheaper than what we could get from Air North's website.

2. We also rented the clothing package from them. The rental clothing was the right size but unfortunately some of the gear was not in the best shape. 2 of our jackets had zippers that did not close well. We found 2 cigarette butts in one pair of boots.

3. We stayed at the Gold Rush Inn while in Whitehorse and it was centrally located, clean, comfortable and with a very nice and friendly staff.

4. We were to spend Night 2 and 3 at the cozy cabin and the staff from cozy cabin were to pick us up from the hotel. However, there was mis-communication with the people of the cabin as to the time of pick up and drop off. We were told to be ready at 9 am but the cabin people were under the impression it was 9:30, after waiting 15 minutes I called Sebastian who was very apologetic and called the cabin to get us picked up soon. For the return time, our itinerary said it was 3 pm, but the cabin operator said he was told 1 pm. The cabin operator was very flexible and said he could have us leave at our convenient time and we ultimately left at 2 pm.

5. The cabin operator, Scott, was very friendly and hospitable but the cabin was lacking in cleanliness. The sheets smelled really bad, like they had not been washed in a while or they had been washed but not used in a while. There was something in the sheets that aggravated our allergies (3 out of the 4 people). I did not sleep for both of the nights I was there, one of the nights I had to sleep on the plastic table and cover it with our jackets and I used a pea coat as a blanket.

6. The location of the cabin was awesome, the lake was beautiful and no one else had rented the remainder of the cabins, making us the only 4 people on that side of lake laberge. It was a great experience to walk around the lake and take some beautiful pictures without any other tourists in your pictures.

7. Our guides on the first day, Tom and Kei were awesome, they were very informative and fun during the 5 hours and kept the tourists entertained even though we did not see the lights. However on the last day in Whitehorse, we had 3 ladies as our guides, the 2 Japanese guides (can't remember their names) were friendly and chatty, but Angela was rude and lacked customer service. She first came around at midnight asking everyone in tented area if anyone wanted to leave early as she could take us back, when no one wanted to go back early she came around again at 12:45 telling people to give her the cups for our drinks soon as they plan to leave by 1:30 if the lights don't come on soon. People were pretty ticked off about it. Few of us told her that we still wanted to get some hot drinks and she was not happy about it. Then at 1 pm she came around telling us to get ready to leave at 1:30 since it did not look like there would be any lights. By 1:15 she put out the camp fire outside the tented area and slowed down the wood stove, we were cold and had to leave. We were all supposed to be there from 10 pm to 2 am but she was just not ready to wait, even though a few of the people were taking pictures of the dramatic skies.

I was definitely expecting more from all the excellent reviews we read on TripAdvisor, so I emailed Sebastian of our experience and how disappointed I was. He replied immediately apologizing and said he would contact his partner companies on the state of the rental clothing and the cabin. He also stated that providing excellent service was the most important thing to them as evidenced by the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor in the past and they are very proud to deliver supreme services. As we did not receive that level of service we expected he offered us a 40% of the regular price as a refund. I certainly did not expect this kind of response from him and was pleasantly surprised. I must say that this the best service I have ever received from a company that did not provide us with the expected product.

If we decide to go back to Yukon for another trip, I will definitely book again from the Northern Tales.

6 Thank Paantha
Portland, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Northern Tales Delivered”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We booked a 3-night Aurora-viewing package in Whitehorse w/ Northern Tales for my husband's 35th birthday, which happens to be a week before Christmas. The tour guides were incredibly sweet (get to know Tom, especially!), lodging was comfortable, Whitehorse was lovely. It's a small town, obviously, but there are still myriad things to do even if you don't book any of the additional day tours.

The weather was cold, but there was actually snow, so I'm told it wasn't as cold as it could've been. My husband and I bought and brought our own gear, but we live in a climate where we will actually use it more than once. If you're from a warm climate, rent their gear, for sure. The stuff that we did buy worked great, and it's true about what they say - layers, layers, layers. I was actually taking stuff off more of the time than putting it on. If it's good gear, you'll stay nice and toasty.

The nightly tour was CHARMING: cabins were nice and cozy, with treats, warm beverages and activities inside, roaring fires and tree stumps for seats outside. We got to meet and chat with sweet people from all over the world. One really nice little perk is that there are benches strategically placed and faced toward the north sky and a huge open field for sitting/viewing. The benches are away from the fires and cabins so you can see the sky in all its glory; my husband and I had a great time sitting in the dark holding hands, staring at the sky, chatting quietly between ourselves and generally canoodling. So romantic.

We wish we could've seen the full-on colorful display of lights, but our faint Auroras were still fun - more than we could've hoped for as it was overcast most of our stay (we have spectacularly bad timing)! The great part is that even if it's overcast, due to the climate and latitude, it clears up overnight quite a bit. Two out of three nights we were able to see some pretty decent activity. It wasn't colorful, more like the color of a moonglow, but it had shape: You could definitely see some dips and swirls in there, which was really fascinating. The first night was fabulous, as well, as the Geminid meteor shower was peaking - shooting stars AND Aurora Borealis!?! Fantastic. I don't think I've actually seen the Milky Way with that sort of definition in quite some time. The tour guides will take pictures if the lights come out, too, and you can access them online after your trip. So, we've got several great mementos of us all bundled up in front of the lights (the lights we saw showed up green in our pictures because of the long exposure - totally cool!).

Bottom line: The entire trip was incredibly charming, a bit rustic, an adventure, and something we can definitely cross off our list of 'Things We've Always Wanted To Do'. Northern Tales delivered.

3 Thank N B