“Internet Sucks!...”

Canadas Best Value Inn
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel is old and more than very basic. In Europe it would be a one star in the best case or less.
The Internet is basically nonexistent, so if you are lucky, you will be able to visualize a page or send a text only email after a few hours of frustrations. For the big price you pay, they should have a super fast Internet at least.
Rooms are clean, but there's no air conditioning and the washrooms are probably from the 1970's with moldy showers.
Some things have been cheaply renovated but still lots of old stuff around, like the TV sets from the 1980's.
Common areas have rotten carpets that would fit more an animal farm than a hotel intended for humans.
Avoid if possible, unless you want to consider it as a last resort.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
riverviewhotel09, General Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Your review will be used for training purposes to improve our service in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly 867-667-7801 Ext. 238 to discuss your stay and how we can improve.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our way to Alaska for 2 nights, one on the way there and on the way back. The front desk clerk was very warm and was able to give us good recommendations for attractions and dining. Our rooms during both stays were spacious, clean and comfortable. Great restaurant also on site..ordering French toast for breakfast is a must! Overall great value for a decent price and I would recommend to others

• Stayed: July 2013

Glad to hear that you enjoyed our hospitality, see you again soon.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I came into whitehorse at a really busy time and was nervous about this hotel after reading some past reviews. I decided to still check it out because it offered the best price so I asked to look at a room first. The hallway was definitely worn but the room was okay looking, clean, comfortable, spacious and, bonus, had a nice view of the yukon river! I stayed here 2 nights (originally only supposed to be 1 night) and the staff were great the whole time. Very helpful. After so much time on the road it was really nice to find a place downtown were I could walk to everything and still enjoy being right beside the river. Overall - nothing fancy about this hotel, its your basic package, but the service and the staff stepped it up a knotch and I ended up really enjoying it. I am headed up to Alaska now and made reservations to stay here again on my way back down. Only real negatives for me were kinda ugly hallways and there was no A/C but even then it wasn't too hot and the fan in the room did the trick.

Room Tip: Ask to see a room first and get the second floor riverside.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we will use your suggestions to evaluate our service for your next stay. See you again soon.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

WARNING: NEVER, NEVER stay here! It was despicably filthy. Furnishings were threadbare and tattered with (apparently) cigarette-burn holes. Door to connecting room had a broken lock. Even after we asked and were moved to a different room, it was horrid. Bathroom was repulsive. We used an entire container of Clorox Wipes on the bathroom before using it. If there had been any other hotel rooms available in Whitehorse, we would have left. Unequivocally, THE worst hotel on the whole of the Alaskan Highway. THE worst place we have EVER stayed in our entire lives!!! ABSOLUTELY DIGUSTING!!! No compensation offered by staff even after showing them the digusting conditions. Appalling!!!

Room Tip: Beyond TERRIBLE! Do NOT stay here!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
riverviewhotel09, General Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about your stay with us last summer. I am very sorry to hear of the experience that you had. We are committed to ensuring that our guests enjoy a comfortable stay with rooms that are clean to the highest standard. I can certainly understand your frustrations not being able to enjoy a clean room and also that little was done for you at the time to ensure your satisfaction. I am very sorry for this. I would appreciate an opportunity to further discuss your visit and hopefully find a resolution to the negative experience that you had. Please contact me, Kaitlyn, at 867-667-7801 ext. 238

Reviewed June 15, 2013

The gentleman who checked us in was friendly enough. We had asked for a non-smoking room, but they were full so we were given a smoking room. It was stifling hot with a small window air conditioner and a desktop fan in front of it. There were cigarette burn marks everywhere... In the carpets, walls, furniture, bedding, etc. One wall had a large hole that was plastered with a yellow color that looked awful. The room smelled awful. We had to rewash all of our stuff because it smelled so bad when we checked out.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Hi Trisha,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent visit. I am very sorry to hear of your experience and wish we would have done better to ensure you had a comfortable stay with us. It is especially unfortunate that we did not have a non-smoking room available for you that night that was more suitable for you and your family. I apologize for the smell and discomfort that you experienced while staying in one of our smoking rooms. We do our best to ensure they are maintained to a high standard but regrettably that was not the case during your stay. I would very much an appreciate an opportunity to discuss this with you further and hope we can arrange something that may ensure your next visit with us is more enjoyable. Please call me, Kaitlyn, at 867-667-7801 ext 238.

Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

The night I stayed at this hotel almost everything else was booked solid, or incredibly overpriced, so I made the mistake of staying here. Lukewarm reception from staff member who simply handed me a key rather than informing me of my room number. Airport shuttle IS NOT FREE, no matter what you may read or hear. It's almost as expensive as a cab at $10 each way.

The room itself was spacious, but that was the only good thing about it. 3/5 lamps in the room didn't work, there was dust and grime EVERYWHERE, the remote control for the tiny and ancient CRT tv was selective on when it wanted to work, and the power button didn't. The room (nonsmoking) reeked of mold and faintly of urine. The bathroom was hastily cleaned, but the mirror was covered in water splashes and toothpaste, I found hairs in the tub, the linens (particularly the bathmat) were either stained or disgustingly dirty. Either way, should have been rags. The walls were dirty and missing paint, the whole tub and shower showed disrepair plain as day, and again, it smelled in there. I got pictures of everything on another device and would be happy to email them to anyone considering staying here.

When I checked in they charged an ambiguous, rounded figure to my credit card, offering no detail of what was being charged, and in the morning on checkout there was no receipt provided. This property is located right on the river in downtown Whitehorse, but even that wouldn't convince me to stay here again. Stay away, unless there is actually no other way for you to get a roof over your head for the night, and if that's the case, don't expect much.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Kari L
riverviewhotel09, General Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Hi Kari,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I understand your frustration and it is disappointing that our standards were not followed during your stay with us. By letting us know of your experience - whether positive or negative - it is helpful for us to not only improve the service we are able to offer but also allows us an opportunity to provide a resolution to your concerns. The concerns that you outlined do not fit the standard that we have committed to. I would be very appreciative if you could contact me directly to further discuss these incidents. Please call me at 867-667-7801 Ext 238

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Huh, what should I say about this hotel?!?! Wouldn't ever stay here again, location is decent however. If it wasn't for the fact that my man is military and we were traveling with our big dog, I would have changed hotels fast. It is next door to a very loud bar and all night long you could hear people outside fighting. Very old and could use some updating. I understand Whitehorse isn't a huge mecca, but for this town being a thorough fare for travel on the Al-Can highway and tourism, I'm surprised at the older hotels in town. This is the second time I've stayed in Whitehorse, but would not recommend the Best Value Inn. They offer underground parking, which part of was under construction and you drive down a steep ramp and are in basically a huge garage and then walk through the basement of the hotel till you get to the stairs leading to the hotel. Creepy.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate you giving us an opportunity to evaluate our service and use the information you gave us to improve. It is unfortunate to hear that you were not pleased with your stay. I understand the concerns that you addressed. We are doing some construction in the building to improve our facilities. I am sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused you while using our underground parking. We hope to update other things that you mentioned in the near future. We also strive to ensure that our facilities are enjoyable and our guests always feel safe. When made aware of any incidents our front desk staff are trained to address any disturbances and to contact the authorities when appropriate. I am sorry to hear this was not the case when encountering the disturbances outside your room. I would like an opportunity to further discuss your concerns directly. Please contact me at 867-667-7801 ext 238