“A place to sleep.”

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Appleton, Wisconsin
“A place to sleep.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

We were passing through Whitehorse for the night, and needed a pet-friendly hotel to stay in. Our first floor room was spacious, but that's about the only positive we have to say. It reeked of urine and you could hear everything else going on in the hotel. The guests in the hall, slamming of doors and people walking around upstairs. The part of our stay that really takes the cake though, is when we were woken up to loud knocking at 10:30 pm to find 3 strange men outside our door - stating that they found dog poop in the hallway. They informed us they were doing an "investigation" into the phantom pooper. Since our traveling had started at midnight the night before and we had called it a night at about 6 pm, this late night visit was definitely not appreciated.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel J, Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate all feedback to help us improve. We would also like to extend an apology for your unpleasant stay with us. We are very sorry that your were disturbed so late at night. When we discovered that one of the guests had left their dog mess in the middle of the hall, you and several guests in pet room were asked about it.

Now we realized that this kind of attitude was rude to the guests. We do very much apologize to you, the innocent guest. We are greatly appreciate your comments which let us know what is proper courtesy. Your comments help us provide better services for future guests.

Thank you. Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights and after reading all the negative reviews I was a little concerned about being a single woman syatinng here. Never felt threaten even witht the locals hanging around the 98 Hotel. The hotel was located opposite the waterfront which provided a great running track around the river. Was located central to all of Whitehorse's attractions.
I stayed in a two queen bedroom with a microwave and fridgeso there was plenty of room. My room was clean and all appliances functioned correctly.I was on the second floor facing the rear of the building so it was very peaceful.
All staff were friendly and engaging and nothing was any trouble.
I found this hotel value for money and if I ever find myself in this neck of the woods again I would stay here.
Special thanks to Ron who found me that extra night. :) Cheers

Room Tip: Select a non smoking room upstairs
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank julesten2016
Nyc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Although cheap, avoid. The nonsmoking rooms reek of smoke. the prices displayed to do laundry are incorrect. The check in lady clearly did not care whether we were comfortable or not. She gave us three broken fans. For the forth fan, the cook from their Chinese restaurant came in, took off the metal, and twirled the fan with his finger. Hello lawsuit. We told him we want a good fan, and we finally got one. A bunch of misfits stayed in the hotel, making it seem like it wasn't safe.

Room Tip: Just avoid in general
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Whitehorse hotels

Olympia, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Pros: Location - near waterfront/popular recreation trail and close to downtown. Operators were friendly/accommodating -- perhaps they're trying to improve this place?

Cons: Somehow I got 'bumped' into a smoking room and as very upset after clearly checking 'non smoking' on the Canada's Best Value Inn website. Every hotel was sold out in Whitehorse for a big event that particular day so my options were limited. The hotel staff did give me a discount which I greatly appreciated and tried to help as best as they could. The smoking room initially seemed 'OK' but after a while it stunk/began to make me sick. I actually wiped down the walls with a wet towel and that seemed to remove a lot of the tar on the walls. This is something the motel should look into doing --- wiping down the walls of the smoking rooms after someone stays in it on a daily basis. I think I wiped down at least three years or more worth of smoke/smoke tar as the towel was pretty dark after I was done. Later I purchased a can of Frebreze and scented candle to help improve the smell of the room along with a strong flow of air. It seemed to to help/freshen it up some. I guess where I am going with this is I don't understand why smoking rooms are still offered as they are the most disgusting rooms available in any hotel. And if a non-smoker is placed in this kind of room when every other room is sold out, you're going to get complaints. Perhaps the owners are not aware that most people do not smoke and those who do smoke are not the kind of customers who want coming to your motel. Also, most major hotel chains have got rid of smoking rooms as nobody wants to stay in them. My suggestion is make people smoke outside and make your motel 100% non-smoking like other industry-leading hotels.

Overall: Place is a little beat up and needs some modernization. Get rid of the smoking rooms, I would only stay here again if 1) the price is right, 2) I'm tired, 3) every other place is sold out or 4) place gets a modernization/face lift.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank southpugetsound
Palmer, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Since my son was up to Alaska from Florida for the summer we decided to take a long weekend trip to Whitehorse YT. Having stayed in Whitehorse before we knew all about food and lodging expenses so we decided to opt for the cheaper route since there were four of us and we thought one room with two beds would suffice. So we shopped around for rooms and got the AAA rate at Canada's Best Value Inn. It got a non-smoking, two queen beds, a microwave and a small refrigerator in our room...or so we thought. Here are the problems we had with the hotel and our room.

• A $300 hold deposit on your credit card is a bit excessive...I'm not buying the hotel!!!
• Hallways are extremely noisy most of the time.
• When it is quiet it’s because you won’t hear a vacuum cleaner…the place hasn’t been vacuumed in quite some time.
• It’s next door to a 3rd world country motel of sorts which is next to a dive bar accompanied by a plethora of seedy characters on both sides of the street within 50 yards of our hotel entrance.
• No elevator.
• Even though we had a non-smoking room on the second floor, cigarette smoke wafts down the hallways from the smoking rooms.
• We checked our room, no refrigerator so we went to the front desk and asked for one…we never got it. Excuses ranged from, “We’ll have the maintenance man bring it up to your room” to “We don’t have any available”.
• Front desk clerks didn’t know how or where to get extra towels.
•The entire place needs a thorough cleaning.
• No pool or fitness center (we didn't care about these features)
•The mattresses and box springs sit upon a wooden framed box of sorts...no bedframes.
• We got ready to check out and had to interrupt the desk clerk's smoke break right at the front entrance so we could check out.

Rating this place with 2 bubbles is a stretch. You're right, we got what we asked for...CHEAP!

Room Tip: Spending a little extra money elsewhere will be well worth it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank llstelck
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

We are a family traveling fromAL to Alaska and stayed here for one, well barely one Night. We checked in, got to our room, immediately found tons of hair in the sheets the maid was sent and she changed the sheets on one bed and pillowcases on the other, it was obvious that the sheets and pillowcases had not been washed and she told us that it was due to an incident with the laundry,very unsanitary, cigarette burns in the very outdated comforters, stains and yellow pillowcases. We are traveling with our 3 children and this place is located right next door to scummy bars with drunks hanging around all over the place fighting and shouting. We were so uncomfortable here that we left the hotel at 5:30 am. Terrible terible experience. Spend a little more and get a clean and safe room for you and your loved ones.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank fltmed1976
, General Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
My sincerest apologies for your inadequate stay. I strive to give every guest a clean and quiet room. It is obvious there are a number of issues that have to be addressed and I greatly appreciate bringing their attention to me in order for the hotel to work on them and improve any problems. I will be re-training and improving training for all of my Housekeepers. We have already bought all new bed sheets, blankets, pads and the whole lot and are in the process of replacing those most in need first. Unfortunately, there is not a lot we can do about our neighbours. If there is any trouble around the hotel, or suspicious activity, we simply call the police.
Thank you once again for your valuable input, I will put this information to good use.
Michelle Legere
Wasilla, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

I stayed here before and it was a good experience. Not this time. I was tired, got there early afternoon, was told room wasn't ready and to return at three. I asked the front desk to let the housekeeper know so that it would be done. Returned at three, and was told it would be another hour. They didn't seem concerned that I was exhausted. I finally got into the room after going to the room and asking the housekeeping, who told me that no one had told them. It was the last room they cleaned. I finally got in, it smelled from a spray. Then there was the problem with people being up all night. Not good. I didn't get much sleep. To the credit of this place is housekeeping. They were really great. And the guy at the desk at night. I don't have bad experiences with hotels. They need better training in customer service. If you have a full hotel doesn't mean you should treat your customers badly. If they have a policy of no early check in's just say it. But please do have the room ready when check in is!

Room Tip: don't get a room near the front door very loud.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank AlaskaGirl14cc
riverviewhotel09, General Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Thank you for your comments we appreciate your taking the time to post your review. We apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced while staying at our Inn. We use your comments to evaluate our Inn and provide additional training for our staff as needed so we can provide you with a better experience. We hope you will visit us again on your next trip through Whitehorse so that we can be of better service to you.