“Inexpensive doesn't mean value!”

Canadas Best Value Inn
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Since my son was up to Alaska from Florida for the summer we decided to take a long weekend trip to Whitehorse YT. Having stayed in Whitehorse before we knew all about food and lodging expenses so we decided to opt for the cheaper route since there were four of us and we thought one room with two beds would suffice. So we shopped around for rooms and got the AAA rate at Canada's Best Value Inn. It got a non-smoking, two queen beds, a microwave and a small refrigerator in our room...or so we thought. Here are the problems we had with the hotel and our room.

• A $300 hold deposit on your credit card is a bit excessive...I'm not buying the hotel!!!
• Hallways are extremely noisy most of the time.
• When it is quiet it’s because you won’t hear a vacuum cleaner…the place hasn’t been vacuumed in quite some time.
• It’s next door to a 3rd world country motel of sorts which is next to a dive bar accompanied by a plethora of seedy characters on both sides of the street within 50 yards of our hotel entrance.
• No elevator.
• Even though we had a non-smoking room on the second floor, cigarette smoke wafts down the hallways from the smoking rooms.
• We checked our room, no refrigerator so we went to the front desk and asked for one…we never got it. Excuses ranged from, “We’ll have the maintenance man bring it up to your room” to “We don’t have any available”.
• Front desk clerks didn’t know how or where to get extra towels.
•The entire place needs a thorough cleaning.
• No pool or fitness center (we didn't care about these features)
•The mattresses and box springs sit upon a wooden framed box of sorts...no bedframes.
• We got ready to check out and had to interrupt the desk clerk's smoke break right at the front entrance so we could check out.

Rating this place with 2 bubbles is a stretch. You're right, we got what we asked for...CHEAP!

Room Tip: Spending a little extra money elsewhere will be well worth it!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank llstelck
There are newer reviews for Canadas Best Value Inn

Reviewed June 29, 2012

We are a family traveling fromAL to Alaska and stayed here for one, well barely one Night. We checked in, got to our room, immediately found tons of hair in the sheets the maid was sent and she changed the sheets on one bed and pillowcases on the other, it was obvious that the sheets and pillowcases had not been washed and she told us that it was due to an incident with the laundry,very unsanitary, cigarette burns in the very outdated comforters, stains and yellow pillowcases. We are traveling with our 3 children and this place is located right next door to scummy bars with drunks hanging around all over the place fighting and shouting. We were so uncomfortable here that we left the hotel at 5:30 am. Terrible terible experience. Spend a little more and get a clean and safe room for you and your loved ones.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank fltmed1976
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

My sincerest apologies for your inadequate stay. I strive to give every guest a clean and quiet room. It is obvious there are a number of issues that have to be addressed and I greatly appreciate bringing their attention to me in order for the hotel to work on them and improve any problems. I will be re-training and improving training for all of my Housekeepers. We have already bought all new bed sheets, blankets, pads and the whole lot and are in the process of replacing those most in need first. Unfortunately, there is not a lot we can do about our neighbours. If there is any trouble around the hotel, or suspicious activity, we simply call the police.
Thank you once again for your valuable input, I will put this information to good use.
Michelle Legere

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I stayed here before and it was a good experience. Not this time. I was tired, got there early afternoon, was told room wasn't ready and to return at three. I asked the front desk to let the housekeeper know so that it would be done. Returned at three, and was told it would be another hour. They didn't seem concerned that I was exhausted. I finally got into the room after going to the room and asking the housekeeping, who told me that no one had told them. It was the last room they cleaned. I finally got in, it smelled from a spray. Then there was the problem with people being up all night. Not good. I didn't get much sleep. To the credit of this place is housekeeping. They were really great. And the guy at the desk at night. I don't have bad experiences with hotels. They need better training in customer service. If you have a full hotel doesn't mean you should treat your customers badly. If they have a policy of no early check in's just say it. But please do have the room ready when check in is!

Room Tip: don't get a room near the front door very loud.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AlaskaGirl14cc
riverviewhotel09, General Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

Thank you for your comments we appreciate your taking the time to post your review. We apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced while staying at our Inn. We use your comments to evaluate our Inn and provide additional training for our staff as needed so we can provide you with a better experience. We hope you will visit us again on your next trip through Whitehorse so that we can be of better service to you.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

it's a clean basic motel.
the rooms are large with a microwave, free wi-fi & mini fridge...such a nice addition!
the best feature is the riverfront location.
ask for a room on the second floor facing the river.
it's beside some of the dingiest bars in whitehorse though.
just ignore that as you look out your window over the river & grey mountain! :)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank DGA69
Reviewed September 3, 2011

the best value inn has seen better times certainly. rooms are clean and you´ll find TV, fridge and free WIFI in your room, however, the hotel is neither nicely styled nor does it have any charming interieur or decoration elements that would invite to stay longer than for a short stopover.
124 can$ is quite a lot for a hotel standard like that but there are not many alternatives around.

Room Tip: choose a room in 2nd floor!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zeckenschreck
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We had reservations and extended our stay. The rooms were clean and comfortable. They allowed pets!!!!!! The internet had difficulty getting and staying up, but it was easily accessed in the lobby, and I think it truly depended on room placement. They had an ice machine and a great air conditioner, although because I was traveling with my parents they tended to keep the room condusive to growing orchids! As other reviewers stated, it was right next door to a bar, but the the music was nice when I walked the dog! One Royal Canadian Mountie asked me outside the Yukon Museum (where my dog was probably illegally relieving itself) if I had seen a drunk man on the roof, and while I hadn't, by the time I finished walking some 20 minutes later, I spotted him and witnessed his rescue from said museum roof -- never a dull minute in Whitehorse! This, however, could not be attributed in any way to this motel. I noticed several groups of motorcycles parked near the door, and they were perfectly safe.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Leigh M
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I liked the location. The bike path for walking the river is great. I always enjoy walking out of a hotel and beung downtown. Its clean, affordable, good management and great location

• Stayed: July 2011