“Bad Sleep”

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Wasilla, Alaska
“Bad Sleep”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I stayed here before and it was a good experience. Not this time. I was tired, got there early afternoon, was told room wasn't ready and to return at three. I asked the front desk to let the housekeeper know so that it would be done. Returned at three, and was told it would be another hour. They didn't seem concerned that I was exhausted. I finally got into the room after going to the room and asking the housekeeping, who told me that no one had told them. It was the last room they cleaned. I finally got in, it smelled from a spray. Then there was the problem with people being up all night. Not good. I didn't get much sleep. To the credit of this place is housekeeping. They were really great. And the guy at the desk at night. I don't have bad experiences with hotels. They need better training in customer service. If you have a full hotel doesn't mean you should treat your customers badly. If they have a policy of no early check in's just say it. But please do have the room ready when check in is!

Room Tip: don't get a room near the front door very loud.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank AlaskaGirl14cc
riverviewhotel09, General Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Thank you for your comments we appreciate your taking the time to post your review. We apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced while staying at our Inn. We use your comments to evaluate our Inn and provide additional training for our staff as needed so we can provide you with a better experience. We hope you will visit us again on your next trip through Whitehorse so that we can be of better service to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
Teslin, Canada
Reviewed November 2, 2011

it's a clean basic motel.
the rooms are large with a microwave, free wi-fi & mini fridge...such a nice addition!
the best feature is the riverfront location.
ask for a room on the second floor facing the river.
it's beside some of the dingiest bars in whitehorse though.
just ignore that as you look out your window over the river & grey mountain! :)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank DGA69
Europe
Reviewed September 3, 2011

the best value inn has seen better times certainly. rooms are clean and you´ll find TV, fridge and free WIFI in your room, however, the hotel is neither nicely styled nor does it have any charming interieur or decoration elements that would invite to stay longer than for a short stopover.
124 can$ is quite a lot for a hotel standard like that but there are not many alternatives around.

Room Tip: choose a room in 2nd floor!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank zeckenschreck

Travelers are raving about these Whitehorse hotels

Lexington, TN
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We had reservations and extended our stay. The rooms were clean and comfortable. They allowed pets!!!!!! The internet had difficulty getting and staying up, but it was easily accessed in the lobby, and I think it truly depended on room placement. They had an ice machine and a great air conditioner, although because I was traveling with my parents they tended to keep the room condusive to growing orchids! As other reviewers stated, it was right next door to a bar, but the the music was nice when I walked the dog! One Royal Canadian Mountie asked me outside the Yukon Museum (where my dog was probably illegally relieving itself) if I had seen a drunk man on the roof, and while I hadn't, by the time I finished walking some 20 minutes later, I spotted him and witnessed his rescue from said museum roof -- never a dull minute in Whitehorse! This, however, could not be attributed in any way to this motel. I noticed several groups of motorcycles parked near the door, and they were perfectly safe.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Leigh M
Wasilla, Alaska
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I liked the location. The bike path for walking the river is great. I always enjoy walking out of a hotel and beung downtown. Its clean, affordable, good management and great location

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank AlaskaGirl14cc
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed one night while traveling through Whitehorse. We had a room with one queen bed, microwave, and fridge. There were hairs on the sheets and my husband refused to sleep under the covers. We booked online and they gave us a smoking room and would not change it to a non smoking room when we got there even though we had our 2 year old daughter with us. There was cigarette burns all over the carpets and the room smelled terrible. There was mold in the shower and the shower head was so low that I had to bend down to wash my hair. There was very little parking for the hotel and it was very confusing to figure out what was parking for the hotel especially when you are not familar with the area. We were traveling with our cat and could not open the window to air the room out because there were no screens. It also has a rundown bar next door with a lot of old drunk men hanging around outside. The hotel staff was very friendly though. The price was the cheapest and that is why we booked it, but if we stay in Whitehorse again I will pay more for a better hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank anellis88
Reviewed July 20, 2011

My husband I travel to Yukon and Alaska in June. We stayed in canadas best value inn known by river view hotel.
The front desk staff was nice and very helpful. Our room was clean and comfortable and staff made a great effort to make sure we were enjoying our stay. I hope to return in the near future.

• Stayed June 2011