“Back to the Past”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Toronto, Canada
“Back to the Past”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

You might wanna lower your expectations if you're going to this hotel. This hotel was built in the late 60s and I could still see it. It was renovated in 1998. I was at this hotel last week for the first time. I had heard about it in a good way (close to the Main Street, close to restaurants and bars) and in a bad way (old, hard beds, small rooms, etc.)

This hotel is located right downtown and only a 4 minute walk from Main Street (2 blocks). The staff at the front desk was very friendly.

The room that I got was on the 3rd floor. You could expect smaller rooms then in big city properties (smaller bathroom and a smaller bed area). Although it was smaller, I didn't feel that this room was too small. I was by myself. The bed mattress was harder then I'm in use too (they could do better with today's beds). I still slept well. When I woke up, I could hear people talking in the room next to mine and they were not even that loud.

Just hope you don't have noisy neighbours. I personally had a good stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor. It seems not too well isolated for noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank DDM246

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2014

This hotel presents itself as a reasonably upscale, business class hotel and charges accordingly. I have stayed at other, comparably priced Whitehorse hotels (High Country and Goldrush Inn) and can say that even by local standards the Westmark does not measure up to this claim. It surprises me that this hotel has a cruiseliner affiliation and is touted in some reviews and even one or two tourist guides as one of the better hotels in town.

The Westmark admittedly has some things going for it, such as slightly better fitness facilities than the other hotels I mentioned and the mostly pleasant, positive demeanor of its staff. My breakfast was well-prepared and the server pleasant and efficient, though the meal was pricey even by Whitehorse standards and the packaged jams were so old they'd solidified. Also, the king-sized bed in my "corporate" room was quite comfortable and the cleanliness level seemed fine.

So much for the good (most of which could be said about Westmark's similarly priced competitors). The hotel's overall condition is shabby and seedy, the walls and most of the furniture are old and scuffed, the fixtures lower-end motel quality, and the internet largely dysfunctional. This is a big deal for a business traveler at least - I couldn't access a small powerpoint attached to one of my emails for instance, and web-browsing to such exotic sites as wikipedia is extremely slow and spotty. It's especially annoying because they charge for internet unless you pay for one of the higher priced rooms. It is effectively false advertising since guests naturally expect normal internet service, especially when charged for it. The explanation offered to me was that, given the cost of service in the North, their corporate management has opted for very minimal service. Perhaps they should mention this in their advertising. It's all said in a very matter-of-fact way, as if they were talking about the weather rather than something within the hotel's control. (Oh, and while we're on the subject of IT, the phone in my room was an ancient job of the kind you see in the most modest motels, so that I had to conduct a conference call with a receiver to my ear as I took notes and my colleague and I had to conduct the call from separate rooms.)

I have some sympathy for the staff of this hotel, which I think labours fairly conscientiously under some significant disadvantages. Clearly the owners haven't committed the resources needed for appropriate upkeep (though admittedly some partial updating seems to have taken place in my "business class" room) but at the same time insist on advertising and pricing the place as the town's premiere hotel. It can't be fun for employees and on-site management.

The bottom line? For the same money you can do considerably better in central Whitehorse. Look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank KJ162

Travelers are raving about these Whitehorse hotels

Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Dont expect the pictures you see to be the average room. It was simple. Clean but older. Limited. We called and asked if there was a microwave downstairs we could use as they didn't have one in the rooms, and they said they could deliver one. So an hour later up comes a microwave. Early 90's version and yellowed from stains. Again. It was fine. But I'd look elsewhere next time.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank marshal b
Selbyville, Delaware
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Westmark Whitehorse was a two night stop as part of our Holland America cruise tour. After having stayed in Fairbanks, Tok, and Dawson City at Westmarks, Whitehorse was such a disappointment. The hotel us downtown and very old and tired.....in desperate need of some cleaning and updating.

We were traveling with two other couples, and all of us had purchased a meal plan. Our first meal in Whitehorse was in the hotel restaurant. Since there were six of us, we were seated in the bar area which was fine either us. We ordered our drinks and they arrived promptly. After ordering our meals, we waited a very LONG time for them to arrive. We could see what we thought were our meals sitting on the counter in the kitchen. All of our meals were not hot when they arrived....just warm. Our waitress was working very hard to keep up with all of the tables she had to service. The restaurant and bar were seriously understaffed. We found the same situation the next two mornings at breakfast. The food was mediocre as well.

If you are part of a cruise, you probably have no choice in hotel accommodations....if you have a choice, I'd suggest searching for another hotel in Whitehorse.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sklovessummer
Frank C, Director of Sales at Westmark Whitehorse Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear sklovessummer,

Thank you for taking your time to wirte a Review. I do apologize for the long wait times during your Dining Experiences. Moving forward, we will do our best to make sure we are fully staffed, We are currently working with our Corporate Office to get capital dollars to update the look and feel of the Hotel. We hope to see you in the future.

Frank Curlew,

Bakersfield, California
Reviewed November 10, 2013

The flight crew on my flight to Whitehorse also stayed at this hotel. That seemed like a good recommendation to me when I saw them signing in. They took a taxis to the hotel, but I took the free hotel shuttle to and from the airport. I arrived around midnight and there was a staff member outside only letting in hotel guests.

I had no concerns staying at the hotel and would do so again. The hotel was clean, no odors, or stains to guess the origin of. My room with a king bed was comfortable with a coffee maker. Requested wake up calls were received. You need to let them know if you need a shuttle back to the airport. There was more noise from hallway and adjoining rooms than is normal, but nothing that kept me awake or offensive behavior from other quests. They do have a band on Sat. night, but I didn't hear it on the 3rd floor.

Didn't eat at the restaurant as you are walking distance to several coffee shops for breakfast. The hotel location is close to the river and walking distance to several attractions. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. They really made the stay enjoyable. I left a charger in the hotel room and it has been mailed back to me.

Overall a great place for the area!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Behrenscomments
Dear Behrenscomments,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We thank you for your comments and look forward to having you stay with us again.

Frank Curlew

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed just one night. My husband was in Whitehorse for business and I decided to tag along with our daughter. The hotel is downtown and we were able to walk to restaurants, the river, and my husband to his work meeting. So that was great. The hotel also offers to call and wake you up if the Northern Lights are viewable and they said if you walk down to the river you can view them nicely. We asked for this but the conditions weren't right that night as it was cloudy. They also have a tour desk in the office which is convenient if you are interested in arranging tours of the area. They also have a late checkout time of noon which was great.

The hotel room is pretty standard. Nothing special. The hotel is a little dated but it was okay. It was just a place to crash for the night and it was all we needed. No complaints.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Samelly13
Dear Samelly13,

Thank you for your comments, we are in the heart of Whitehorse and are centrally located for shopping and tourist attractions. We are currently working with our Corporate Office on a plan to upgrade parts of the hotel. Hopefully we will see you next time you are in Whitehorse.

Frank Curlew

Hay River, Canada
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The homeless sleeping in the lobby, the filthy carpets, walls, window coverings....come on your representing the capital of your Territory rather poorly. I am sure that with a captive tourist populace you could afford to steam clean the carpets, wash the walls, clean the window coverings and linens. Just because your establishment is older and you want to keep the flavour of the Klondike should be incentive to keep the place up. As far as the homeless close off the far doors on the conference side or have conference patrons only access same goes for the washrooms are they Public or for the Conference rooms?

Staff superb, nice conference facility, good daily room cleaning services. Again, hire some extra staff this winter and steam clean your carpets and furniture, wash the walls, clean your window coverings and bed spreads!

Room Tip: Inside room away from main road.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business