“a less crowded Westmark”

Westmark Whitehorse Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Columbia, South Carolina
“a less crowded Westmark”
Reviewed August 7, 2008

Stayed here 2 nights as part of Holland American Lines (HAL) tour. The nicest of 3 Westmarks we stayed at on the tour (Fairbanks, AK, Beaver Creek, YT and here). Great location - downtown Whitehorse(restuarants,shops, river walk, some attractions) within walking distance. Not as many HAL tour groups here as at Fairbanks Westmark. Good evening show in the hotel - Frantic Follies- recommend it, entertaining with a gold rush/Yukon theme. Fitness room small but with workabale equipment. Decent restuarant with reasonably priced food in hotel. Staff most helpful.

• Stayed July 2008
1 Thank scscientist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We stayed at the Westmark Whitehorse as part of a Holland America Cruisetour.

The hotel is convenient to everything in town. Our room was nice and there was a dressing area outside of the bathroom which always helps when two people are trying to get ready to go somewhere.

Our only complaint with the hotel was there isn't any air conditioning. The day we were in Whitehorse the temperature was in the upper 70's. Our room did have a window, but there wasn't any cross ventilation. We did find that when we returned to the room after the show at the hotel (Frantic Follies) the room had cooled off nicely.

Speaking of Frantic Follies, I went into the show with low expectations. I was very pleasantly surprised. The show was very entertaining and it shouldn't be missed.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of air conditioning, but given the location that shouldn't be a problem very often.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Decent enough hotel. Nothing special. Clean. Stayed on business. Room was comfortable. Staff were very friendly and nice. Gave some good recommendations for dinner.

Stayed June 2008
South Carolina
Reviewed June 25, 2008

We stayed here as part of a Holland America cruise/tour. We had a corner room which was quite large. It was clean and quiet. No view to speak of from the room but the hotel was in a convenient location. No problems.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 23, 2008

Greeted by friendly staff which was nice after a long day of driving and hiking.

The hotel is only 2 short blocks from Main St and all the action of Whitehorse. Just a short walk to the famous Klondike Ribs & Salmon BBQ where there's always a line up for a table.

We got a room on the main floor just behind reception. The room was clean and spacious with a king sized bed, desk, and sitting area. We were surprised at the number of channels on the TV as we don't normally get these many channels in hotels in larger cities.

Internet was only $5.95/24h. It's available via wifi and they give you a username and password at the front desk. We were able to log in 2 computers with the same log in. That was a bonus as that meant we didn't have to share.

The bathroom was a little dated, but still kept clean.

We went to look for a vending machine for snacks, but there doesn't seem to be one in the hotel. They have drink machines, but no snacks. When you stay up late watching the midnight sun, sometimes you just want a bag of chips.

Overall we enjoyed this hotel for the friendly staff, the close location to everything, and the cheap internet.

• Liked — Location and cheap internet
  • Disliked — No vending machine for late night snacks
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Palmer, Alaska
Reviewed October 15, 2007

I had driven 13 hours, got in about midnight, was fatigued and ready to sleep. I was so glad these folks take dogs no problem. I hadn't expected to bring my dog, but dog-sitter plans fell through. Thankfully, here I could go let my Siberian Husky out between conference sessions, taking place in the same building.

Trying to settle down to sleep, I heard a lot of commotion from where I thought was next to me. It was clearly a lot of sex. I thought, hey, give them a half-hour or so...It didn't quiet down. I called the desk and they said they'd have someone come ask the folks next door to be quieter. We did this three different times til 3 a.m. (some stamina!). Then I went to the front desk and asked to change rooms. After I redressed and left my room, I could hear that the noise wasn't next to me, and the front desk confirmed that--each time I called and they came to investigate, it sounded "quiet" to them in my hallway. We figured out it must be a room upstairs from me. But they cheerfully moved me to another room, which was fine. It was nicely appointed, also. I didn't use the restroom in the new room that night-- I had in the first room, and in this room I went straight to bed.

In the morning, though, I noticed that there were hairs in 3 separate places in the bathroom: on the tub, on the sink edge (right there in plain site) and on the floor. Everything else seemed fine, even nicely done, so this seemed a bit odd. The rest of my stay was peaceful and nice. The restaurant is so-so and so expensive, but obviously the YT is a very expensive place to serve fancy foods.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Some aspects were half-done
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank gardengatebnb
miami florida
Reviewed April 3, 2007

We stayed for the Yukon quest.
The room we had was on the 3rd floor. very basic room motel room type. nothing luxurious. The walls were painted a shade of gray so that was a little depressing. Carpet was basic, but i guess this is due to the snow/etc and trying to keep the property clean. The sweet potato fries in the restaurant were excellent! Staff seemed very friendly.
go to the museum in town...very nice...
the wildlife preserve..wonderful!!!

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — gray walls...and bedspread s instead of comforters..
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business