“Clean, friendly...but beware of street & bar noise 'til the wee hours.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Gold Rush Inn

BEST WESTERN Gold Rush Inn
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Whitehorse
Lakeland, Minnesota
“Clean, friendly...but beware of street & bar noise 'til the wee hours.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

I stayed 3 nights in June. The location of the hotel is in downtown Whitehorse, within a few blocks walk of shopping, restaurants, the Frantic Follies show, the railroad station, movie theatre, and churches. There is a free guest parking lot to one side of the building. There is a free airport shuttle The hotel lobby has a waiting area, lots of travel brochures, and an entryway to the Gold Pan Saloon. The main elevator in the lobby is painfully slow.

I noticed that several tour bus groups were booked here during my stay.

My room, on the 3rd floor, faced the street. It's busy at night with 2 bars on either side of the hotel. I would recommend requesting a back-of-hotel room (which I did but none were available) or bringing ear plugs. If you don't like earplugs or have never tried them, you'll need them. The rooms facing the street can be near flags that fly over the hotel entrance and can be noisy in the wind. My room had a fridge and microwave. It was a very clean room and the washroom facilities worked fine. The bed was comfortable, and with my earplugs I slept like a log. The free wi-fi can be incredibly slow, and at other times very fast. There was no air conditioning unit in the room. My stay here was cool enough not to need A/C, but for hotter temps, I noticed a fan in the closet.

The Gold Pan Saloon offers local brews and a full bar. Live music played during some evenings. One evening it was a local trio of a guitarist, keyboard, and flute. The menu was typical pub grub and food is served for breakfast, lunch & dinner. I found the barkeeps and wait staff to be pleasant. Many locals frequent this saloon too.

I don't think it's worth the price paid, but this is the Yukon. Everything is very expensive. Based on this experience, I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Whitehorse, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2010

We've stayed at the Gold Rush Inn several times in the last year since we're out of towners and there have been several issues. We have had some positive experiences with the front desk staff, and usually our special requests (we learned the hard way, as several other reviewers did, that the bar/live music produces A LOT of noise) are accomodated. I can't even imagine what the reviewer sleeping next to the bar endured - we always request a 4th floor room and we often still hear the music well into the night! Some of the staff are less personable and helpful though...

In addition to the noisiness, i would second that the mattresses aren't great here, so i'd really be wary if you're a finicky/light sleeper.

Over the course of our trips, we've had two rooms with broken phones, a room with lip marks on the glasses, a mysterious giant wet spot on a mattress, a room with a flagpole mounted right outside our window on a windy night that made more noise than you can imagine and, in the case of a room rental with a whirlpool tub - a tub that wouldn't hold water. aaand the wifi has NEVER worked reliably, even though we've stayed in several different spots in the hotel.

we've stayed plenty of times, and had plenty of (undesirable) experiences, so i think it's time we moved on. a friend has recommended Skyy so we'll see how it goes next trip in :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NotTooPicky22
yukonhotels, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Gold Rush Inn, responded to this review, May 19, 2010
We regret to hear about your unsatisfactory experiences at the Gold Rush. We strive to live up to our reputation of being the Yukon's leading hotel and will use your feedback to improve our level of service.

Because our weekend live music caused noise problems in the past, we reduced our band hours last summer; and as a further measure, ordered sound proofing to ensure our guests are not disturbed.

We have won high scores in both our housekeeping and maintenance departments with Best Western...ranking in the top 5 % of all properites worldwide. In addition, we are the only CAA/AAA 3 Diamond rated hotel in the Yukon. We take our room quality very seriously and apologize it fell short in your case.

We have heard nothing but compliments about our new comfotable beds so am surprised to hear yours was a concern. We will certainly investigate.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We hope you give us another opportunity to give you a great hotel experince in Whitehorse.

Travelers are raving about these Whitehorse hotels

Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

Stayed here for a week and checked in on Easter Sunday. Heather at reception was lovely to me and offered to find me a room towards the back of the hotel as she mentioned that the rooms facing the front could get really noisy as I was staying for 8 nights. I didn't think much of it until later and said that I would be ok with the rooms facing the front and so she settled with that. However, do ask for a back facing room if you are a early/light sleeper as the restaurant downstairs doubles as the city's favourite pub and there are live bands playing there from Wednesday to Saturday. Upon entering my room, I found that it was unmade so I went downstairs again and Heather went about getting me another room, this time making sure that I was in a room facing the back and also it was a room with 2 double beds because that is all they had left. Throughout my stay, I noticed that the housekeeping service was not as impeccable as the other places that I have stayed. It was clean nonetheless but the work had looked a little shoddy. That was my only gripe of the place. The location was excellent and right in the middle of pretty everything else. The staff were fantastic and should you encounter Mona while on your breakfast, you will soon look forward to her hearty laugh as well. The price was just a bit more than what I would pay for for my stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2010

We stayed at the Skyy, Inn on the Lake and Best Western during our whirlwind trip to the Yukon in December 2009. The Best Western had the best location of the three but I'd say it was an average Best Western hotel. You know, neither spectacular nor poor, just what you should expect from a Best Western.

We chatted a bit with the manager since it was so slow that week, and he was asking us about other places and we told him honestly his beds were pretty weak (stay at the Skyy if you want to sleep) and he admitted knowing this and said they were planning on bringing in all new furniture and bedding this spring, so it might get better.

The townies in the bar at 2:00 in the afternoon are an absolute riot and not to be missed by an outsider. We were more entertained by their stories and trivia and Yukon perspective than at any other time during our journey.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jaeded07
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2010

This hotel is absolutely beautiful. I loved the room and the food in the restraunt. I felt very welcomed and was treated with great respect.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2010

Not at all satisfied with the manner to which the staff treated customers....much confusion during check-in....and check-out. Unexpected and unexplained check out charges accured after we left.

• Stayed February 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
yukonhotels, Director of Marketing at BEST WESTERN Gold Rush Inn, responded to this review, April 21, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to discuss your recent experience at our hotel. We appreciate honest feedback .Its invaluable in pointing out problem areas and helping us improve.

I am sorry your stay was less than satisfying. We are implementing a mandatory hospitality training course this May which should help with staff responsiveness.

And please contact us regarding any questionable charges on your bill. We will reverse any errors immediately.

Thank you. I hope we have the opportunity of getting a second chance to make a good impression.
nj
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2010

room seemed cramped with two double beds....and dark....but we got this place as part of a package, so didn't choose it outright.....on one hand service was good when one of the desk folks dug up some free passes for a music festival in town.....but then when we missed shuttle to airport after i told the driver i would be right down and night clerk just looked at us dumbly with no offer of help....but then manager came to rescue and drove us in his personal vehicle....so mixed review of service....hardly any knowledge of restaurnats in town to guide us....at one point we noticed a weird smell from bathroom sink, but told of reason and they would dump bleach in it to get rid of smell, fine, but smell retruned in a day or two...like i said mixed average place to stay, it could have been better, certanly could have been worse and being way up north, i guess there are some things that are hard to control

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple