“Great location and best of all good heating”

Best Western Gold Rush Inn
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Esslinjgen
“Great location and best of all good heating”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Arrived in Whitehorse to early snowfall. The first thing I found great is the free shuttle bus from the airport that takes you to nearly all in town hotels. The gold rush in is in good shape, the elevators could be faster but rooms are clean, spacious and the heating worked really well. It is just a 5 minute walk to the Yukon river, restaurant and spa are offered as well. The staff at the reception also was able to point out a good jogging round passing most of the sightseeing spots of the town. Friendly and ok pricing. Would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have been to Whitehorse 3 times and each time we stayed at the Gold Rush Inn. It seems to be the "standard" in town and most of the tour companies pick up here by default.

The only "negative" is that I always have found the walls a bit thin. Otherwise, location is great, service is fine and the rooms are comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BobOttawa
Ottawa
Reviewed September 14, 2012

The hotel itself was nice, the staff very friendly, except an older lady who was our waitress at the Gold Pan Saloon. She was downright miserable.
My only complaint would be that my room had paper thin walls. I'm talking so thin that I could hear the person on one side of my room quietly walk around and on the other side, I could hear a quiet phone conversation. It was as if there was a blanket between us instead of walls.
Needless to say, I didn’t sleep very well. Every time one person or the other got in or out of bed, watched T.V, made a phone call, came into the room or left at all hours of the night, I was woken up. However my colleagues at the other end other of the hotel didn’t have this problem and slept soundly.
On a positive note, the manager did personally apologize to me about that fact. So overall I would say that the hotel does care about and look after their clients.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Whistler, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2012

A nice hotel and dogs are welcome. It has an Gold Rush feel in the lobby with artifacts of the Klondike Gold Rush. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Parking is free right beside the hotel after unloading conveniently in front of the hotel. There is an older elevator but it adds interest to the hotel. The rooms are clean and nice and the outside of the building has been renovated. We would stay there again, but find a different place to eat besides the Gold Pan Saloon in the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room facing Main Street and it was quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed two nights at the Best Western Gold Rush Inn as part of a long weekend to see the Northern Lights.

The hotel is conveniently located on the Main Street in the downtown area and most restaurants and shopping are easily accessible from it. The outside of the hotel looks like a building dating back to the gold rush period and so creates a good ambiance, however, all of this is lost inside. The inside of the hotel is dated and falling apart. The reception areas and restaurants are poor and the rooms are just average. The hotel boasted on its website about a recent renovation, however, if this was renovated I dread to think what it was like before. To be fair the rooms are large, have good facilities, and were clean. The biggest problem with the rooms is the bathroom and the shower/bath in particular which is horribly dated and whilst powerful the shower is not impressive.

Service was also a real problem here. The staff were sometimes friendly sometimes downright rude. For example, we charged breakfast to the room and when we went to check out were basically told off for doing it as the rooms were part of a trip and then made to go back into the restaurant and pay separately. Another example of the poor service we had is that we had booked the hotel shuttle to go to the airport. We waited, and waited and the shuttle never turned up at the appointed time so the hotel ended up having to call us a taxi (which to be fair they paid for). Whilst it is commendable they paid they gave us no warning the shuttle wasn't running (and it was clear from overheard conversations as we waited for the taxi that they knew full well it wasn't operational and this almost led to us missing our flights home. All in all just no attention was paid to the customers.

Breakfast was adequate but the service was very slow - again almost making us late for a trip. The restaurant/bar area looks like a working men's club but the atmosphere in the evening was friendly and comfortable.

Overall, I'm not sure you could find a much better hotel in downtown Whitehorse but this hotel is in need of a real overhaul of both the building and the service. However, given it is a Best Western property expectations were not of luxury and the good rooms made up for the shortcomings to give an average review.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank RobM74
Frenchburg, Kentucky
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had a second floor room and had to carry our stuff through the lobby then up one flight of steps then onto the elevator. The hotel was very busy, a large group of service men were checking in. Parking is a concern because it says there is a monthly fee area where the hotel parking is. We didn't get a ticket or towed so I guess we did ok parking there. The room was nice. The amenities were the usual for a Best Western. The room was clean. When we first entered we heard a gargle noise from the bathroom sink. There was sewage coming up into the sink bowl. It went back down and my husband ran some water through the sink. My problem came at 5am when I was awaken from a terrible methane gas smell. I got up and ran water in the tub and sink to fill up the traps then I put wet wash clothes and towels over the drains to help clog off the smell. Methane gas is very dangerous...it can kill you and it is combustible. One spark from a light switch or any electrical item or a lighter can blow the place up. Needless to say I didn't sleep much after that . They really need to get some plumping work done. It is a nice hotel with a big problem. I told the front dest that morning when checking out and they said they knew about the problem and even stated they smelled it really bad out in the hallway.

Room Tip: Until they fix this plumbing problem I wouldn't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tyme4relaxing
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I had a confirmed reservation for 6 days but the hotel only honored 3 days and then told me the hotel was full even though I had a reservation confirmed. After completing a survey of the hotel after I left (after I was moved to their "sister" hotel) I was written to by the hotel manager who admitted that the prime minister of Canada came through and they needed room for his entourage on that day. Rather than moving one of his entourage to the other hotel, they moved me.

I will never go to this hotel again since obviously I am not important enough to be given equal treatment.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business