“Service? What Service?”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Whitehorse, Canada
“Service? What Service?”
Reviewed March 30, 2011

For those unfamilar with Baked, it's a cozy little coffee shop wth baked goods, sandwiches, quiches, etc. It's the kind of place you walk into, pay at the counter, get your stuff and either sit down or take it to go.

The service and I hesitate to call it that, is terrible. You're usually met with some pseudo hippy, who could care less about taking your order. Do not go in unless you have time on your hands, because you have to wait and wait and wait.

I recently ordered soup. They forgot to place the order. How do you forget, I just asked for it? So, after waiting several minutes and watched as several customers walked by me, I asked about the soup and proceeded to wait some more. Finally (and with great disdain), they produce said soup; only to deliver the wrong soup. I explained that I'd ordered the other soup. She said (a direct quote) "Then it's probably not your order" and walked away to resume chatting with another girl behind the counter. A third girl was making and eating her own food right from the food prep area. Nice! The only one who seemed to be working was the Barrista. So, I went back AGAIN and asked politely where my soup was. Meanwhile, there's no one behind me except people purchasing coffee. So I know I'm the only soup order. Finally, after 22 minutes, someone produced the right soup. It was post lunch rush and kinda quiet, so there's no reason for the 22 minute wait to pour soup into a bowl. It's a good thing that the food is great and that they have free Wi-Fi, because the service is terrible.

• Visited March 2011

Whitehorse, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No real food?”
Reviewed March 26, 2011

The coffee's ok, but there doesn't seem to be any normal-type food. Everything seems to be organic or hippie-like. Their hot chocolate is terrible! I'm not sure how you screw up hot chocolate, but they have found a way. Service is ok. Nothing outstanding or stellar about it.

• Visited February 2011
Newcastle, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best in town by far”
Reviewed January 8, 2011

Coffee is 100%, awesome aroma, great taste... they know how to make their coffee here sugar is not required to make it taste good, it already is. Service is what it should be which is excellent, thanks Crystal you remembered my name the next day and you are super friendly. Food wise I chose the panini... twice and a Kimchi soup (I didn't even know what is was but it has cabbage, carrots and added chicken. Green tea later was also perfect.

• Visited January 2011
Montreal, Canada
“A shining gem in the north!”
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I loved this cafe! I discovered it through trip advisor, and went there every morning for the week I was there! Quiches are amazing, and was a huge fan of the smoothies and paninis as well! A little pricey, but I discovered that food in general in Whitehorse is pricey, so when you put that in perspective it is ok. Great quality, and where all of the locals go to start their mornings!

Lakeland, Minnesota
“Treat Yourself to Enormous Scones!”
Reviewed June 27, 2010

What a great find. Huge scones for only $3 and wonderful coffees, teas, and hot chocolate. Many other goodies too - I just had to try the wheat blueberry scone and was not disappointed. This can be quite crowded as it's a favorite of the locals (what better place to meet them?), so be prepared for takeout. Lots of seating indoors and out. Come early in the morning for a seat and watch Whitehorse wake up.