“Comfortable sleep”

SKKY Hotel
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Comfortable beds and dark blinds helped get a good night's sleep even under the midnight sun. Mini fridge and nice granite shower were all we needed for our short stay. Located very conveniently across the road from the airport.

Overall, price of the room is much more than you would pay in other cities but it is not overpriced by whitehorse standards (although it is the most expensive hotel available in whitehorse). I would pay the bit extra to stay here over the other hotel options in whitehorse!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank EmilyC234
Francesco C, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments and we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and recommend us as the place to stay in Whitehorse.

We are a new and modern small boutique hotel, unique to Whitehorse, and take great pleasure in ensuring our guests have the most comfortable and pleasant stay possible, I hope we can welcome you again in future. Safe travels!

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I was amazed because the price of the room would indicate that you would have all the amenities. Not so. The king size bed saved the day as my husband has a very sore back and the bed was so comfortable we stayed anyway. At $180 a night you expect to have a full bathroom with a tub not just a shower and the restaraunt was only open for dinner 5 nights a week.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Lenore R
Francesco C, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that the beds were to your liking and, in fact, many of our guests comment on what a wonderful sleep they get in our beds. We are sorry you were disappointed by the lack of a bath tub in your room. We chose to have rain showers over bath tubs, which you will find in most boutique style hotels. We do, however, have have three executive suites with both jacuzzi bath tubs and rain showers, and you could have booked such if you desired.

As for the price, high season rates in Yukon are generally much higher than low season and you will find our rates at par or below the other top hotels in Whitehorse. We wish you safe travels.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

This hotel was absolutely perfect in all aspects. From the time I spoke with the front desk upon check in to talking with them at check out, my experience was great with this hotel. The room was very clean and quiet. The bathroom was very nice; it was clean and the shower was one of the best in my life. The staff was very courteous, helpful, and professional. We had zero problems with this hotel and will stay here anytime we need a room in Whitehorse.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Anon218400
Francesco C, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review. It is very much appreciated when guests take the time to write a review and especially when they have enjoyed their stay with us. We thank you very much and hope we can welcome you again soon. God bless and safe travels.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

You really could walk to this hotel from the airport and we did have a good night's sleep despite highway and airport adjacent. Rooms have been upgraded and so while there are a few signs of the former older hotel, the feel is fairly European. Spare but elegant.
On my "could be better if" list I'll put three things:
1) folding luggage racks - we needed somewhere to open suitcases and we both hate using beds or other furniture as there is too much chance of scratching something or leaving debris on fabric surfaces
2) the guy who checked us in was really not pleasant at first. When we arrived late (Yukon air changed their schedule to accommodate Holland America and then was decidedly late departing Vancouver) he told us he had no rooms. I said I had a reservation. He said his rooms were all gone. I went back to my car, got my reservation code and then he decided to look for us. Guess what - there was a room reserved for us. He mumbled something about missing it (duh) when he was setting up for the night but at about 1 AM "there is no room at the inn" is not something you want to hear. Next gentleman who came in did not have a reservation and our night clerk said, "I don't have a room but if you wait a minute I'll help you find somewhere to stay." Must say I thought that was a far better way to handle it than "No rooms available."
3) an ice machine. (clerk did get me ice next morning but about 3 cups of very wet ice and it didn't stay frozen very long.)

Overall, I'd stay here again if being right in downtown wasn't essential. No breakfast there but the dining room looked nice.

Room Tip: Quiet on the side facing away from the highway. We don't know how important this was as we didn...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Speederchick
Francesco C, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Yes it is less than a five minute walk from the airport terminal to our hotel and a five to seven minute taxi ride from the hotel to downtown Whitehorse. This is something our guests find very convenient, especially those coming in the spring/summer when the weather is lovely. There is also a walking path to downtown, which takes about 30 minutes, through a nature trail which guests find lovely.

We do strive to have a European elegance to our hotel and appreciate you noted such. When we became the owners, we completely renovated an old existing hotel and the new hotel opened five years ago. It is the newest and most modern hotel in the Yukon.

We do have luggage racks and I am sorry you did not find such in your room, as all rooms have folding luggage racks.

I am sorry about the night auditor misplacing your reservation until you gave him the confirmation number and will speak to him about having a more pleasant disposition. He is generally an excellent member of our great staff and may have been having a rough night, though that is not an acceptable excuse as we wish all our guests to feel very welcome.

As of the end of May, we do offer an all inclusive European style continental breakfast at the price of $9.99, from 7am to 9:30 am, and we have received very positive reviews for such. We hope you will try it and provide your comments, when you are next in Whitehorse. As for ice, it is available in the restaurant upon request.

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your excellent observations and I hope that we can welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

This is my second time staying here. The first was several years ago (didn't leave a review then), and when I was planning the same trip I decided to stay again. Driving up to the hotel was a surprise--it was a lot more shabby than I remembered and I was rather hesitant about whether it was somewhere I actually wanted to be. However, the lady who checked me in was nice and once I got into my room I was pleased. I stayed in a regular room which had faux wood floors, a nice sized television, mini fridge and plenty of workspace. The bathroom was the only place I dinged the hotel for cleanliness--the corners of the shower had some mildew and the drain was a bit rusty.

The restaurant located in the hotel also does room service, which was a nice option. It is a little pretentious though and some menu items were hit/miss.

I was not super happy checking out the next morning--there were two men in front of me who had concerns about their bill/charges. Instead of acknowledging me and asking me to wait, or asking the men to wait while I checked out, the clerk was kind of rude and interrupted them men and waved them aside. It was rather awkward and I did feel bad but went along with it.

Overall it was a decent place, and I would most likely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank firesirus
Francesco C, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for a second time and taking the time to post your comments. It is true, many guests are very pleasantly surprised when they enter our hotel. Unfortunately, the land in front of the hotel includes the Alaska Highway which does not belong to us, and thus this impedes us from giving the hotel more curb appeal.

I thank you for your comments about the shower corners. This is the first we have heard of such and I will have the cleaning staff investigate and rectify. Generally we get top grades from our guests and are extremely meticulous about cleanliness. It is always welcome when guests let us know any areas to improve upon, which we are always seeking to do.

The restaurant is operated by an independent operator and is highly ranked in Whitehorse. We now also offer a continental buffet breakfast which our guests have been raving about.

We hope you will come again soon and thank you for indicating that you would do so. We look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Our company booked this recommend hotel for our first stay back in January. At that time we also booked for May.

In January the front desk booked the wrong dates (which we caught) and the restaurant which we were told was on site was closed. This is very inconvenient after working all day and then thinking you can go back to your hotel which is located out of town and have dinner.

Last night our employee tried to check in after landing for a midnight flight and is told that there is no room. They are given the confirmation number and are told that the reservation was cancelled but they don't know by whom. The room was confirmed for a late arrival by our office the week before.

Due to a conference in town there are no rooms available nor is Skky doing anything to compensate the fact our employee has no where to stay tonight. When we mentioned that we have several other dates that we will be back for, we were offered no sort of compensation for upcoming stays. When I mentioned we were very leery to consider staying again given their track record, the Assistant Manager said it was certainly our prerogative to stay else where.

Overall it seems they are very disorganized and unwilling to take responsibility for their errors. The services that they offer (restaurant) are very hit and miss. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone coming into town.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank S K
Francesco C, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

I am sorry to hear about your experiences and have investigated the issue. According to my front desk agents, your recent reservation was cancelled some time ago and that is the reason the room was not available for your company on the night in question. In any event, it is unfortunate there was a mix up and to ensure this does not occur again we have instituted a new policy with respect to cancellations purportedly made.

As for the restaurant, we have an excellent highly rated Restaurant at the hotel, which is open 5 days a week (closed Sunday and Monday). It is independently run and offers our guests a 10 per cent discount. Additionally, we have an arrangement with another top rated restaurant in town also offering our guests a 10 per cent discount, which restaurant is open 7 days a week.

If there is anything I can do to rectify this unfortunate incident and make things better, please do contact me directly by email at calandraco@rogers.com and I shall get back to you promptly. I wish you safe and pleasant future travels in any event.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

The Skky hotel is located right across from the airport. The outside of the hotel is very plain, although they have planted a few trees close to the building, otherwise it is pretty non-descript. Once you walk in the front door everything changes. It is very modern and clean. There is no elevator so we chose to stay on the ground floor facing the back of the hotel. It was very quiet and peaceful. The rooms are large and well decorated. The bathroom is very small, it could use a larger vanity for your bath supplies. The shower is nice with a rainfall shower head. The floors are wood (not real) so they can be slippery with socks on and cool on the bare feet. They do provide slippers for you. I found the air conditioning unit somewhat hard to regulate but we were comfortable. There is free Wi-Fi which is nice, refrigerator and coffee in the room. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It would have been nice if they served breakfast. I believe they will be doing that in the future. All in all we really enjoyed staying here at the Skky hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the ground floor in the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple