“Pretty Disappointed”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pincher Creek, Alberta, Canada
“Pretty Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

I made an online reservation with Skky Hotel on September 28, 2012 for arriving on October 7, 2012. My plans had changed so I called the hotel on the 30th and spoke with a lady from guest services to cancel my reservation. She found my reservation and asked if I wanted my cancellation number , I said I didn't need it. I did ask her if I should get it just incase and she said I really didn't need it.
So my husband and I ended up arriving on the 8th and stayed for 2 nights. When we got into the room, it was very nice and modern, the bathroom door you literally had to use all of your muscles just to close it, also the complemetary conditioner was all lumpy and gross. There was no bathtub or mircowave in the room which was a disappointment.
On October 18th I was going over my credit card statement and noticed 2 different charges from Skky Hotel. One on the 8th for one nights stay and again on the 10th for a 2 night stay. I thought maybe they took a pre-authorization on the 8th and forgot about it. I called last night and spoke with a very helpful girl and advised me that I had to call the next day to talk to a supervisor because they had the authority to reverse charges on credit cards. So I called back the next day and talked to Lisa. I told her the situation and she said my card was charged because I didn't show up for my reservation on the 7th. I proceeded to say that I had cancelled that reservation due to not knowing what my plan were. She asked for on my cancellation number and I said I did not take it due to not wanting it and the front desk girl saying I didn't need it either. So with at being said she wasn't going to reverse the charge because I had no cancellation number, I couldn't remember who I had talked to and it was going to screw up the paperwork to go to her head office? So I'm assuming the reservation never got cancelled if it got charged as a no show.
I work at the Ramada Inn & Suites Hotel in Alberta, Canada and when someone calls to cancel a reservation we actually CANCEL the reservation and do not charge the credit card. If it's charged we go out of our way to make sure the card is refunded the amount charged to them. I do ask if a guest wants a cancellation number and alot of the guests say no. This just floors me and makes me so frustrated all because it will screw up book work for head office to refund something that is their fault in the first place. I shouldn't have to take a cancellation number if I don't want it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brittney S
catsandcool, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
I am very sorry to hear about the mix up with your cancellation. I am having the hotel investigate the matter to see what happened and to find the record of your cancellation. Once we verify that such was the case, we will issue a refund to you for the nights. Unfortunately, this is the first we at head office have heard of this matter and had we been advised, we would have investigated such forthwith and resolved the matter. Please feel free to contact me directly at calandra@rogers.com

Once again we apologize if there has been for any error on our part and will rectify such accordingly .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
sitka, ak
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

You look at the outside and go "no way am I staying there". You walk inside and it's like Alice in wonderland where she says " we are not in Kansas anymore Toto". Rooms are super clean and modern "chic". Restaurant food is fantastic Stay here and you won't be sorry.

• Stayed October 2012
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Recent stayed 2 nights at this hotel while "chasing" Northern Lights in Whitehorse. This hotel located near the airport and is not close to town. There is a free shuttle from/to the airport. The hotel was recently refurbish and everything was "almost brand new". The receptionist was extremely helpful in all respects. The room was of reasonable size and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was however very small and had a shower stall only. The thermostat in my room was difficult to use. It was either too hot or too cold. Flat screen LCD TV with about 3 dozens local and satelite channels. Free parking just outside the hotel. I also ate at the Volare restaurant at the hotel and both the food and service were excellent. All in all, a very happy experience. Housekeeping staff actually greeted you to say "good morning" when you see them in the corridor in the morning. I shall stay here again if I return to visit Whitehorse.

Room Tip: This hotel has not elevator (lift). If you have heavy luggage, ask for a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Aurora, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Skky Hotel provides comfortable accommodations directly across from the Whitehorse airport. Much attention has been paid to design details, with contemporary fixtures and decor. We stayed two nights, at the start and end of our trip in Yukon and Alaska, and found it to be a quiet and pleasant place to stay, with all the modern conveniences. The staff was very professional and helpful.

Room Tip: One drawback is that there is no elevator in this 2 storey hotel, so if hauling your bags up the sta...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Aurora, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

The Skky is across from the airport, but a bit harder to come across if you are driving into Whitehorse. The parking lot is gravel, and the outside looks like a ho-hum motel, but inside it is very nice indeed. We found the staff to be friendly, and the room was very comfortable with an upscale bathroom. The views are nothing to brag about, we had a view of an unkempt lot from our room. The internet connection was very good, which we found to be rare on the trip to Alaska.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights as part of a group on a fishing trip. The staff bent over backwards taking care of us. We had dinner at the hotel's restaurant on the first night and it was the best dinner I had during the entire trip (and all of our dinner's were excellent). Despite the hotel being completely sold out the staff still went out of their way to accommodate any request for transportation, room service, or general local advice. It felt like we were being taken care of by friends. The rooms were modern and very clean. At first I was concerned about the location because it wasn't right downtown, but for a short trip it is perfect because it is close to the airport and the highway. No one in our large group ever had a problem getting a cab to or from downtown at any time. Thanks again for a great stay SKKY!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Johnny R
catsandcool, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for your kind review. We are always overjoyed to hear from guests who have enjoyed their experience at the Skky Hotel and hope that we can welcome you again in future.
Council Bluffs, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We booked a king room with a sleeper sofa. But there was not a sofa in the room. We checked in with 3 people and the desk man did not say a word about there was only a king bed in the room. Come on REALLY?? 3 adults in one bed?? He just looked at us like we were from a different planet. Our son had to use a air mattress. The king bed was great, the bathroom was high end and very nice

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tracy S
Thank you for your review. I am sorry about the issue you experienced with respect to the lack of a sofa bed and have made inquiries accordingly. According to my information, you made an online reservation for a room that did not have a sofa sleeper and it looks like you made that reservation through Travelocity. Had you called the hotel directly and/or booked directly with the hotel, this could have been avoided as the front desk had no knowledge of your requirements and we were sold out. I am sorry about the mix up and suggest that in your future travels you deal directly with either a hotel's website or their front desk, so as to avoid such issues.