“Dated, needs a major renovation and a top to bottom cleaning”
Review of The Cave

The Cave
Ranked #100 of 671 Restaurants in Saskatoon
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Nutana
Description: Originally half its size we expanded in 1985 to include our Starlight Banquet Room and The Cavern Lounge. A completely local and independent family restaurant, that has become a Saskatoon landmark. Our unique architecture, courteous and polite staff, coupled with our wide menu options will make your next dinning experience memorable. From first dates, to anniversaries and birthdays, or just a night out. The Cave has it all! We recommend reservations but they are not required.
Saskatoon, Canada
“Dated, needs a major renovation and a top to bottom cleaning”
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

We went for my daughter birthday and it took 3 calls to make sure we had the reservation because we couldn't understand the person answering the phone. We arrive and no reservation. Luckily there weren't many people there anyway. Service was slow. With 3 kids we can't wait 15 min to get water or place an order. Food was below average and at best warm. The place needs a clean from top to bottom. The menu needs updating as well.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Becky L

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Nice touch. A unique dining experience”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Nice to be away from a Chain restaurant and get the service and quality at reasonable prices. A nice, rare 3-course steak dinner with friendly staff in either the restaurant, or in a casual lounge setting. I'll be back next visit to Saskatoon.

Visited January 2014
Saskatoon
“Back in time”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This use to be the go-to restaurant for "fancy" dining 30+ years ago, and I don't think we've been here for at least 10 years...yes, nothing has changed - really, how could they change the décor anyway other than spruce up the rugs, chairs, etc. We were expecting the worst from reviews and friends' experiences but overall it compares with the other Greek-owned restaurants in the city. The menu is the exactly the same, but I think I would recommend it for families wanting a place to take their kids as it does have a kid-friendly menu plus a seniors' section. We opted for the safe option of a pizza (cheaper than a lot of other places) which was exactly as we expected. Our friends had the roast beef special and Greek ribs which though the portions seemed smaller, they said the dishes were okay. For the two of us, our tab was avg. $50 with one wine and two beers. Our waitress though was super friendly and surprised our table with a free cheesecake. She basically made the night. We honestly won't probably try it again for another 5 years - if it's around then. I would recommend though that they spruce up their menu, experiment with some new dishes. A plus is that they take reservations which as we all know on a Friday or Saturday night makes it a little easier as quite a few restaurants are opting out of this now. Take your parents/grandparents/kids - they would probably love it.

• Visited January 2014
“No thank you”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

My Grandmother likes this place which is why I went for her birthday and for the first time in 20 years!. Things haven't changed and by that I mean the decor that was cool when I was 10. Or the food that is frozen, greasy and out of a Prego jar. And that is giving it credit. It might well have been Ketchup with a little garlic thrown into it. The service was slow the restrooms were dirty and service was slow and begrudging as if asking for water was keeping them from thier important texting ( which I saw a waitress do through out our service) Brought this up with the manager and he said he'd deal but didn't comp even one glass of overpriced wine or my Grama's Appetizer. In a town with so many resturants and knowledgable foodies I am surprised this place is still in buisness. Voting with my money and will NEVER EVER go back!!

• Visited November 2013
Saskatoon, Canada
“The atmosphere hides the over-priced frozen food.”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The Cave is always known for its decor but the food is no match. The place seems to put on an image like it's a "fancy restaurant" that's allowed to serve expensive food (at least $15 a plate and higher). However, the food does not live up to it's image. When I see bland, greasy, and frozen pre-packaged food on my plate I get a bit discouraged. For a restaurant that's charging me high end prices I expect the ingredients to be fresh. This could really be an exquisite place if they raised their standards a bit. I always remembered as a kid that The Cave was a classy place, but I come here today and I realize that their fancy image is totally hiding the fact that they serve highly expensive food that I can buy at a frozen food section and make myself at home for much cheaper. I hope the owners of the restaurant see this post and realize that they can really improve the reputation of this restaurant by upgrading the quality of their food. If they do not improve their food then lower the prices. If they will not lower the prices then raise the quality of the food...it's as simple as that.

• Visited November 2013