“One of the best restaurants in Saskatoon”
Review of Truffles Bistro - CLOSED

Truffles Bistro
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
“One of the best restaurants in Saskatoon”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The good:
- Excellent food.
- Superb wine pairing (just let them do if for you if you're not into wine — you'll be surprised).
- Very good service.

What is not perfect:
- Space! The place is cozy and reminds me of France, but... when I'm out for a nice dinner, the last thing I want is to be seated three feet away from the cash register.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank icFace

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto
“Nice and fresh but not as great as perhaps I expected”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I had a Saturday brunch at Truffles. I was very impressed walking in. The restaurant has a very casual upscale feel to it. It is very nicely done inside. It was a nice surprise given the outside look of a small-town diner. The servers were very pleasant and as attentive as I would want them to be. I ordered the day's brunch special, a Spanish omelette with chorizo and spicy tomato sauce on a bed of greens with goat cheese. I also ordered a side of hash browns. What arrived was very nicely presented. The omelette tasted very nice with the chorizo and the greens were fresh and light. I was disappointed with the hash browns. They were just some oily, thinly sliced, small potatos. I guess where my real disappointment comes in is where most Canadian high end restaurants come up short, portion size to cost value. Yes it's a trade off between cost, portions and quality; but American high end restaurants still manage to offer significantly more in my opinion. I've come to expect that now at fancy Canadian restaurants and so I haven't deducted anything ratings wise but feel I should still comment on it. It truly felt like I had only consumed an appetizer at most.
However, with that said, it certainly was nice to eat in a restaurant that is cooking to order and using fresh ingredients. I would like to go for a dinner service before I leave Saskatoon to experience their full menu. If you're looking for something very light but well prepared, Truffles is certainly worth trying for yourself.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank BHofTO
Ottawa, Canada
“Perfection”
Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

I dined with a friend who is a gourmet cook and pastry chef. She also happens to have a lethal allergy to nitrates (found in most smoked meats).

We were greeted and seated promptly and courteously. Our waiter was very conscientious about the allergy concerns and double-checked with the kitchen when there was any question. His wine suggestions were perfct.

The food itself was everything one could hope for: the freshest ingredients, cooked exactly to the doneness we requested, beautifully presented and in portions that were large enough to satisfy without feeling stuffed. The vanilla-bean creme brulee may have been the best I've tasted. I wish I lived in S'toon so I could enjpy this more often.

Vancouver, BC
“truffles and treats”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This has got to be the best restaurant in Saskatoon! No Question! The pork bellies are brilliant as are the chicken livers especially with the truffle fries. Great service and a wonderful culinary experience from Chef Lee Helman,

• Visited June 2012
Montreal, Canada
“A really excellent meal”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

They don't use tablecloths so the noise level is a bit higher. Having said that, with the room being long and narrow, the noise level is acceptable. We had the potato and bacon soup of the day which was out of this world good. For the main course, we had the potato crusted lake trout which was perfectly cooked and a perfect flavour. It was accompanied by fresh pesto, ratatouille vegetables and olive tapenade. Everything is clearly made from scratch for each meal. Truly wonderful! Desert was a cheese plate with lovely cheeses and very generous portions. Although their wine list is a bit sparse, the server make a fabulous wine suggestion that was a perfect match to the meal. The service was quite good. This is a must-visit restaurant. No need to visit a huge city to have a really excellent meal.

• Visited May 2012