“No honor at this Hotel???”

Northwoods Inn & Suites
Ranked #40 of 41 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed May 30, 2013

After booking this hotel through Bookings.com we read the reviews and decided at the last minute not to stay here. The Northwoods web site said that if we cancelled by the 15th of May (we were booked from the 16th through the 27th) that we would not be charged. We cancelled by 1pm on the 15th of May. When we got back home I discovered a one night charge for our room at the Northwoods on our credit card bill.

We contacted Booking.com and they in turn contacted the Northwoods and asked that the charge be refunded from our Credit Card per our understanding of the Hotels cancellation policy. George, the person in charge at the Hotel adamantly refused to refund the charge. The honorable thing for Northwoods to do would be to refund the room charge. There is no Honor here!

When we arrived in Saskatoon we went to check out this place, because we couldn't believe all those bad reviews (93) could be true. They were all true and we are so happy we cancelled and stayed somewhere else. As frequent travelers we were extremely surprised that any booking service would ever cater to such an establishment. This place even gives cheap hotels a bad name. We are also surprised that the Canadian Tourist Bureau and/or Canadian Health Department hasn't shut this place down. We will never use Booking.com or any other booking service that lists this hotel or any other hotel with the kind of reviews this place has.

David Wall Portland, Oregon USA

Room Tip: Go anywhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank david_w52024

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Everything you have read in these reviews is true ! There is a shortage of rooms in Saskatoon and these guys jack up the prices because of it. There were no other choices for rooms in town and I thought, how bad can it be ? I'm not sure where to start but my truck sinking past the rims in the parking lot was an omen of things to come.
The smell when you enter the room is overwhelming, smokey musty and the worst part is that it gets into your clothes and stays for days. Even the clothes in my suitcase smelled terrible ! The front desk was no help as they were fully booked.
The native girl who showed up at my door was pleasant and not drunk (maybe high) but lost. She needed a lighter, money for a payphone, finally asked to use the phone in my room. I quickly realized this was a situation that could quickly turn bad and ushered her out. Her offer of a "favor" to extend her stay had some value but I declined. Monica phoned room to room at 1AM claiming to know me but she didn't, don't think it was the same girl.
I was actually relieved to discover that the stains on the bed sheets were cigarette burns and not bodily fluids. I "slept" on top of the blankets anyways.
I wasn't really sleeping but the loud banging on my door at 3AM scared the crap out of me, my door seemed to open a crack but they left and continued to bang on every door in the place for 1/2 an hour. The party directly above never seemed to end and I swear they were playing marbles on the tile floor.
I saw one review recommend going to Canadian tire to get a tent instead and for sure that is a better option !

Room Tip: Rooms in another part of town are better !
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
10  Thank drummer_boy
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Avoid this motel if at all possible. the motel rooms are dirty, smelly, with old aluminum windows and doors that don't seal very well.... luckily it was spring, cant imagine staying in winter. Plug ins were worn out so chargers etc, would fall out. Pool was warm, thank goodness because the hot tub was very cold and unusable. Wife mentioned the hot tub not working, they said they would send someone, but no one showed up. probable because I noticed the snow melting off a large hot water tank outside the pool area... been there awhile maybe all winter+?? Water slide was not working, but maybe a good thing as the fibreglass is separating and could lead to injuries. tiles falling off in pool, no upgrades since I was a baby in the room or pool area. reminded me of "Life after people" TV show. One semi bright spot was the breakfast, as you could order hot meal...we had 2 eggs with ham or bacon, and choice of toast with coffee... way better than bagels and muffins.

Room Tip: Hmmm, keep driving
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ktktktktktktktktktkt
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Where do I start? Well my parents booked it over the phone as it was cheap and we all were coming up for my grandpas funeral! When we arrived my my mom seemed concerned as the people that were hanging around were sketchy to say the least but I told her not to worry! I was so wrong! As we unpacked our stuff into the room we noticed it to be very smoky even tho it was a smoke free room! We also had towels with gross stains on them. The shower nozzle was about to fall off, there was water damage on the walls and ceiling, I was scared to take my shoes off as the carpets were disgusting! Also both nights there were people yelling and swearing and fighting...I was concerned for our vehicle outside! I dealt with all this as I guess you get what you pay for but in my case they should have paid me to stay there or at the very least gave me our stay for free because on the day of the funeral we left around 12 and my parents were back around 4 and in that time we received a flat screen tv in our room which they joked about as the old tv worked fine but could use many more things before a flat screen! So when we were packing up the next day I noticed that my louis vuitton backpack with my white 13" mac book and a few other things in it was missing so I asked my parents if they moved it from on top of our cooler by the door and they said no. We searched everywhere but found nothing! My father and I went to the front desk and told them about it...they talked to the maintainance man who was also our waiter at breakfast because the new waitress quit on the first day and he said he was there around 3 to change the tv! Also waited to talk to the head housecleaner and she new nothing. Our room did not get made up as our beds were the same and no clean towels either! We waited around for a long time waiting to talk to the staff as it seemed to not be a priority! I finally decided to call the cops to report a break and enter and ended up going to the station to give them my statement! I did not get any concern shown towards me and my already sad family and was told that they would look into it and thats it! I already had a loss but this really made the trip even worse! I hope whomever stole it is happy that they will now have a few more hundred dollars once they sell it to get their next hit! I am very disgusted by the service of this place and don't even want to think about it anymore as it makes me sick to my stomach! Speaking of which I can't imagine what the kitchen looks like either! Places like this should be shut down as they are not safe or clean and have no heart! I hope that nobody takes things to a next level of pathetic and sad and causes me more stress by using my info on my laptop! Please don't cause me any more pain just return the laptop and I won't say anything else! Please clean this place up or shut it down, as all of the other comments on here are sad too! NEVER stay here unless you want to be sadly disappointed and disgusted!

• Stayed: April 2013
5  Thank Gaylasever
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had no choice to spend a night at this ''hotel'' because I was last minute and due to a huge conference in Saskatoon it was the last hotel available. I booked tru Expedia so I didn't know. It cost me $160 for the night. I got a first room, even if its a non-smoking hotel (yeah right) the odor was so bad and the heat wasn't working properly, very cold (January), I asked to switch room and I got a one where the bathroom light wasnt working + toilet was leaking and same bad odor... I asked for a third one, still a bad odor but at least it was warmer. It was dirty everywhere in the room. At midnight, people were yelling outside like crazy and at 1 am I had to call the police because a girl was screaming in the room next to mine, I could hear stuff breaking. At 10:40 I decided to go and eat my included hot breakfast, the guy at front desk said you booked tru expedia its not included, he finally gave it to me. I arrived at the restaurant at 10:50 and the girl was upset because she was closing at 11:00. I told her It was still 10 min before. I ordered and received a complete different order, they re-did it. Breakfast was actually good. I went checking out and they didn't want to show me a receipt because I booked tru expedia, I had argument for 45min with them, nothing to do. I spoke with another client in the same hotel situation and said it was the worst experience for him as well. Im very dispointed for the price. I travel a lot and Im used to clean hotels, that was the worst Ive ever seen and please the prices are was too much expensive. For God sake don't go there.

Room Tip: take second floor if you really have to go and rooms close to the lobby
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank GenStoon
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This place is a dump had ppl for my work staying here last week went over to buddys room for a few beers there was a lady of the night banging on ppl doors offering u know.As we were standing outside having a beer and smoke not sure why the room stunk so bad guess all u can smoke is crack lol we were outside for 2m not load at all just talking 3 guys this security gaurd comes around the corner and tells us to shut up or we get kicked out he was there for the ppl upstairs who were parting on deck and being load so i told him he better talk to them he said thats where he was going next WTF.Also i stay at motel next door northwoods cheaper and way nicer place.To bad the girls from northwoods would stop bugging us ppl over here.So i was out fixing my truck in parking lot during the day a lady from northwoods shows up says she lives with her sister and kids upstairs in north woods ask if i need company said no.The next day i open door there she was talking to a guy in parking lot as i was getting into cab to pick up parts for my truck the lady comes up sticks her head into cab and steals my wallet out of my coat never even noticed as the cab pulls onto road i check my pockects as i always do wallet gone got taxi to drive me back to northgate go to front desk to get key to my room check my room wallet not there gave the taxi 8 50 in change off he goes.So i run over to northwood inn and explain my robbery explained to them about the lady how she looked about her living upstairs with sister etc oh we dont know her they said pure bs u know i understand they cant give out info like that but the chick just robbed me of my wallet could had least called the police gave them some info.Anways as i walk into parking lot i see the chick getting into car i ran over yelled at her to give my wallet back i dont have she says so i kept yelling at her give me my wallet caused a real big seen anyways the mait guy comes out whats going on i told him about the wallet as his buddy was talking to her she went upstairs and got my wallet through it down to me and started walking away so i check for bank cards DL credit cards all there but guess what cash gone over 160 bucks id like to thank the mait dude if it wasnt for u id never seen my wallet again thx again and the front desk staff u did a horrible job u dont care at all never stay at this dump never as buddy said in a post b better off staying on a park bench

Room Tip: dont go here
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank kevin j
Reviewed October 29, 2012

-very hot and uncontrollable heat
-shower didn't work... Switched rooms, and then the toilet didn't work
-pull-out bed was filled with mouse droppings and glass. There were also stains on the sheets.
-seemed like everyone at the hotel was partying
-drunk people knocking at our door all night
-some lady tried to open our window while we were sleeping. Neighbour later said that the same lady broke into his room and stole his wallet. (the windows didn't have a lock or a safety to prevent this)
-TV didn't work. It had cable and you can change the channels, but it was extremely fuzzy.
-the ground was dirty.
-pretty sure this place has bedbugs. Woke up covered in bites.

I hate this hotel. Never again. Overpriced, uncomfortable and I was actually scared.

• Stayed: October 2012