“"Not a Good Place to Stay"”

Northwoods Inn & Suites
Ranked #39 of 41 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I was very mistaken when I thought that the Northwoods Inn looked like a nice place to stay with my elderly parents. It was late in the evening when we booked in or we would of left right away, because as soon as we walked into the room we noticed a bad smell, then all the repairs that needed to be done including a door with no dead bolt and a window with no safety device. We were exhausted so went to bed. About an hour later we were woke up by shouting and alot of activity out side are window, and all around the area. It continued so for safety reasons I called for police assitance in leaving the place and will not go back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Unicorn155044
mel_sask, Manager at Northwoods Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Please take notice that our hotel has been serving many many years and we have had thousands of happy and satisfied guests. However, we are not perfect; we try to improve our services all the times. Our apologies for any inconvenience we have caused. If you please come within next 90 days, we will give you 50% discount on the existing rate which is publicized in our website.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

We had to travel to Saskatoon for a medical appointment with our son and wanted something close to the doctor's office. After checking in our room we could tell right away it was a smoking room even though we had asked for a non smoking as our son has asthma. Not only did it smell of smoke it was filthy. The second room they gave us was not much cleaner. The pool area was atrocious and the hot tub smelled moldy. Hotel states free breakfast but had to pay for coffee and lukewarm milk. Area around hotel was littered with garbage. Needless to say we will never stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank Mandy D

Reviewed July 18, 2011

Overpriced room which, after negotiating was reduced to $100. Room with outdated furnishings, cracked bathroom fixtures, no other amenities except cheap soap. Minimal air conditioner on the way to it last gasp! Room worth about $50 per night!

• Stayed: July 2011
8  Thank JudyandDave
mel_sask, General Manager at Northwoods Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Reviewed July 6, 2011

This hotel is disgusting.
My husband and I found this "great deal" online, and I wish that A) we would have checked the room out before we paid for it...
B) I would have saved my $115 dollars and bought a nice tent and sleeping bag from Canadian Tire instead... or slept in the back seat of my Cavalier.

The bathroom was absolutely disgusting - there was an unusual amount of hair (including pubic ones) all over the place! I seriously wondered if the housekeeping staff even existed. I cleaned the bathroom floor as best as I could with a washcloth and Peppermint Hand Sanitizer from Bath and Body Works (I was desperate) but still didn't feel like I should take off my shoes.

The bedspread had a 'stain' on it... I can only guess what it may have been. The room smelled like smoke, the button on the T.V. was broken, and there wasn't a piece of furniture in the room that didn't have some kind of stain or burn mark on it. The room did, however, have a nice view of the parking lot and coin-op soda machine and the free breakfast wasn't bad... if you don't mind the cook also taking your order, bringing your coffee and bussing the dirty tables at the same time he's cooking your food. (I don't blame the cook for that one, I blame his bosses for not staffing the restaurant adequately.)
Please save your money and your sanity - take yourself and your loved ones anywhere but this place.

Room Tip: Don't stay here - the $15/night that you save compared to other hotels isn't worth it.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Lisa-Lisa-Bo-Beesa

Reviewed June 25, 2011

Good things.... free internet, free parking, can park within a few feet of the motel room door, heat/ac worked fine, plenty of light (natural and lamps), minifridge, microwave, coffee maker in the room, reasonably clean, comfortable bed, and friendly service. This among the least expensive rooms from my internet search. I booked it same day and no problems at check-in.

Less good... the rooms and its contents are dated. In my room... The sink drips (hot water), the remote control for basic cable is dodgy, the curtains have a few tears, the walls needing painting, the door sticks, and there appeared to be at least one party in the next building. There is traffic noise.

So... Northwoods met my needs for this trip. I came back for a 20 yr class reunion (College of Medicine), left my family back home (school wasn't out yet), and was looking for basic 'lone guy' accommodation.

Hope this is helpful.
JPS

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank jpschaefer
John P, General Manager at Northwoods Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2011

Reviewed April 2, 2011

phone was dirty and totally outdated, cigarette burn holes in sheets and carpet, strong smell of aftershave, broken switch on TV. paid $163.90 which was $60.higher than all the other nice hotels we stayed at on our trip across Canada. high speed internet didn't work.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank JoanBurnley

Reviewed March 11, 2011

This is the worst place I have ever stayed in. The room smelled like smoke and the ceiling was flaking off. The wireless Internet did not work. I could not control the temp in the room. And to top it off they charged me 269 dollars for one night.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank Bernie17355
mel_sask, Manager at Northwoods Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2011

Dear Trip Advisor
Thank you for your review on the Northwoods Inn and Suites. Please note that we take each issue very seriously and we have taken step(s) to address each and every comments and or complaints that we received. Please do not hesitate to contact us direct to discuss your stay and or any problem that you have had. Once again please accept our sincerest apologies and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.